What's new

My new "Gillette NEW Long Comb" arrived today. Yay!

A very big "thank you" to Charles @Komboloi who PIFd me my new Gillette NEW LC. :thumbup:
(All the way from Western US to the UK [about 5,100 miles].)
upload_2017-7-18_0-59-51.png

I thought my Open Comb collection was replete until I read a thread by Charles about his newly replated NEW LC (which I was going to link to, but can't find). I mentioned this in the thread, and next thing a NEW LC which was surplus to Charles' requirements was winging its way to me.

I've just had my first shave with it and I'm VERY pleased. :biggrin1: (BBS of course.)
upload_2017-7-18_1-18-1.png

I'd heard via @rabidus (the Rigid Razor King) about the LC's lack of blade rigidity (unlike the SC) so was prepared with one shim to stiffen the blade up. This slight modification is because I have coarse beard hair (the razor would be fine as is for those with average to fine beard hair).
upload_2017-7-18_1-19-26.png

I intend shaving with my new NEW for (at least) a week. I'll give a report on my seventh(ish) shave. And if it's anywhere near as good as the first shave I'll continue to be a very happy bunny.
:punk:

:a50:

I used the LC for a while and was stuck in the DFS club before stumbling into the rigidity realm.

I just want to point out that these razors were used when blades were .006" thick and probably performed a lot better. I believe the SC and Postwar Tech and TTO's(more rigidity) we're made when the bladed were made thinner, .004".

Could Gillette have made more rigid razors with thinner blade to throw off the competition? If the competition used Gillette's thinner blades in their less rigid razors, they wouldn't perform as well. Just a thought.

I intend shaving with my new NEW for (at least) a week. I'll give a report on my seventh(ish) shave. And if it's anywhere near as good as the first shave I'll continue to be a very happy bunny.
:punk:
I had my seventh shave with my NEW LC last night. And just like the previous six shaves, it was excellent.
She's a keeper. :001_wub:

A shim will turn any razor lacking rigidity into a keeper! Unfortunately for me, a shim is not enough. I even notice the difference between a NEW SC(Max rigidity) with a .004" thick blade and a SE with the thicker .009" thick blade. The difference becomes more apparent with continual use.

Top Bottom