What's new

Do I need a Joris?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
This is one I've looked at in and off for a while now. I have a Fatip Piccolo and understand that they share the same head design with different fit and finish. Has anyone with experience with both found a noticeable difference in performance by moving to the Joris and having the larger handle and different F&F? I would look to the standard full Palladium version. It has a really classical look to it.

I have a Joris with the gold finish and a horn handle. I also have a Fatip Grande, which has the same head as the Piccolo. I find the shave to be about the same, but the shave experience tilts to the Joris. There's something special about shaving with a razor you think is really a beautiful piece of work. The Fatip is no slouch, but the Joris is really nicely done in my view.

I had a Joris full Palladium finish. I also own two Fatips. I know a lot of people say the heads are the same but I'm not so sure. I think the Joris feels slightly more aggressive to me but still very similar. I wasn't sure I was going to like the larger handle because I prefer short handles but I did not find that to be a problem.
It's a very nice razor but lately they have been having quality control problems. Examine yours closely if and when you get one in.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Hmm if they are showing QC issues I may just stick with Fatip! But they look beautiful in photos.

To be honest the Joris I tried actually looked a little bit worse than the Fatip in terms of QC. The handle was nicer, to be sure, but you could always just use an aftermarket handle on the Fatip or Schone. Back in the day I used a Tradere handle on the Fatip head. We used to call that the "poor man's Joris," or PMJ.

But to answer your original question, no. You do not need a Joris. Buy one if you want one, but you definitely don't need one.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
To be honest the Joris I tried actually looked a little bit worse than the Fatip in terms of QC. The handle was nicer, to be sure, but you could always just use an aftermarket handle on the Fatip or Schone. Back in the day I used a Tradere handle on the Fatip head. We used to call that the "poor man's Joris," or PMJ.

But to answer your original question, no. You do not need a Joris. Buy one if you want one, but you definitely don't need one.

I'm glad you brought up the head finish in particular as I was thinking that the head would be a lot more polished and consistent on the Joris leading to a potentially more consistent shave. So I guess this is wrong and it's good to know it's more about the handle!

No one on this forum "needs" any razors! But you should get it because you have empty space in your cabinet!

I have the gold plated Joris on the Thuja wood handle. It's absolutely beautiful with no QC issues. I hardly use it as I don't want to scratch it. :a21:

Top Bottom