What's new

First Shave with Feather SS WOW!

First off let me say I am pretty new to wet shaving, only about 1.5 months. Until this morning I had been using a Merkur 34C, classic right, and alternating between an Astra and a Feather blade. My technique is slowly improving but I have very sensitive skin on my neck and thick wiry beard hairs so I have been struggling to get a DFS. Even doing a 3 pass shave WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG (I can get away with ATG on my face with no irritation)I was still getting patches of stubble on my neck, jaw and cheek that would not come off. They felt smooth from three out of four directions but against the grain I could still feel the stubble.

Today I tried a shave with the Feather SS and a ProGuard blade. Wow what a difference. BBS with only a small nick on my lip where my angle was not quite right. A little more irritation from the blade but I attribute that to my technique, I am sure I pressed a little too hard. Looks like I found a combination that works for me!

Congratulations. I really enjoy Feather blades in any razor. I just with they still made them for injector razors.

Congrats! I use the Kai Titan mild blade in the Feather SS and consistently get BBS shaves. If any issues persists with the Pro Glide blades, just putting this option out.

I prefer the pro blades to the proguard, but they still irritate my neck a little. I don't know what the difference is but I switched to a straight razor and have no irritation at all. I keep the SS for travelling it's still a great razor.

I prefer the pro blades to the proguard, but they still irritate my neck a little. I don't know what the difference is but I switched to a straight razor and have no irritation at all. I keep the SS for travelling it's still a great razor.

The Feather blades can be a bit harsh the first few shaves due to their sharpness. I've never used a real straight razor but from what I've read the Feather blades are a good deal sharper than a properly honed straight so that could be the cause of the irritation.

I need to revisit my SS. I just never invested the time necessary to get a great shave with my Artist Club straights but they are definitely quality pieces of hardware.

I actually started my straight razor journey with an artist club kamisori razor with pro guards. It really helped me with the implementation of a light stroke before going to a pure SR. I still pull it out every once in a while when I want something extremely sharp. Awesome razor!

Top Bottom