What's new

Thinking about picking up a revolver

Personal opinion here . . . I keep my home defense guns with a round chambered, period. Pick it up and shoot. Especially for the LOTH, who has less experience than I. Nothing to remember, nothing to do except protect yourself.

Also, my LOTH has weak (arthritic) hands, but can rack the slide on the PPQ if necessary (malfs) because she does it this way. This may not apply to you, so forgive if it doesn't, but some of us of the male persuasion tend to do the slingshot rack, not even thinking that it is considerably harder than the technique above.

Otherwise, please carry on, I'm enjoying all the revolver talk. :biggrin:

Personal opinion here . . . I keep my home defense guns with a round chambered, period. Pick it up and shoot. Especially for the LOTH, who has less experience than I. Nothing to remember, nothing to do except protect yourself.

Also, my LOTH has weak (arthritic) hands, but can rack the slide on the PPQ if necessary (malfs) because she does it this way. This may not apply to you, so forgive if it doesn't, but some of us of the male persuasion tend to do the slingshot rack, not even thinking that it is considerably harder than the technique above.

Otherwise, please carry on, I'm enjoying all the revolver talk. :biggrin:

Pretty much the same story here. Keep a little S&W stainless chief's special in the wife's nightstand. Nothing wrong with a good .38. I just saw on Sporting Classics daily where a man in Alabama killed a 820 lb hog in his front yard with a 38. 3 shots at 12 yards, and people scoff at 38 being ineffective!

I keep a Kimber ultra carry 45 on my nightstand one in the chamber cocked and safety on so only one action and it's ready to use.

It's only the two of us, so no problems, when the son and grandson come will put them all up out of sight and reach for the weekend.

A 4" 357 Magnum, would I believe, be the perfect revolver. My les Baer UTC, is kept loaded in my side stand. It is the wife, and I, and our daughter, who is 21. I live in the boonies, my 243, has a much better chance of being used, on livestock raiders.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A 4" 357 Magnum, would I believe, be the perfect revolver. My les Baer UTC, is kept loaded in my side stand. It is the wife, and I, and our daughter, who is 21. I live in the boonies, my 243, has a much better chance of being used, on livestock raiders.

I have a buddy who lives out in the sticks and he has a bunch of Guinea's that roost on top of his house at night and sound off at the slightest noise or movement. He also keeps a flock of Geese in his front yard and they are more vicious than many of dogs I have seen.

Every time I go out to his house, they immediately try to attack me in mass numbers the minute I step out of my car.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a buddy who lives out in the sticks and he has a bunch of Guinea's that roost on top of his house at night and sound off at the slightest noise or movement. He also keeps a flock of Geese in his front yard and they are more vicious than many of dogs I have seen.

Every time I go out to his house, they immediately try to attack me in mass numbers the minute I step out of my car.

That sounds like my uncle's house...and granddad's. Used to keep a bag of grain by the back door so cousin and I could throw out a handful to distract the geese while we made a run for the outhouse.

Just don't forget to take some grain with you so you can make the trip back to the house.

He also keeps a flock of Geese in his front yard and they are more vicious than many of dogs I have seen.

Don't forget the sacred geese who saved Rome.

proxy.php

I remember my grandmother had a huge gander, that was the soulless spawn of Satan. The thing attacked me , and beat me up pretty bad. I was around 8 or 9 at the time. My grandmother, returned it to the nether region, come to find out, it was not shotgun blast proof. I still, want nothing to do with them.

@OkieStubble , it's not a joke. When you get your 1911, you should dress it up with these:
1911 Mammoth Ivory Grips
He can buy another Glock or two for the price of those grips. That's what I'd bet happens. I especially like that first set with the green bark.

I'd be likely to compare Glock with the craftsman tools of 30 years ago.

They reliably get the job done well but they aren't Snap-on, Cornwell, Mac, Matco or even Williams or SK.

Did I just defend Glock? That felt weird.

For a DA/SA trigger, even with a Gray Guns trigger in my P226 it doesn't compare to my USP Tactical.

On the other hand, I own a lot of craftsman tools but no Glocks. I guess I'm more tolerant of plain but effective in tools that don't go bang.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My dad has a great story about a goose on his grandfather's farm that used to whoop up on him when he was 6 or 7. He ambushed it with a bat. They had it for dinner but his grandma tore his butt UP!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There are about half dozen Canadian geese that are here from time to time, but they aren't domesticated so they are not good guards...they just take care of where they are at the time.

If the coyotes weren't so bad here I'd get some little ones so they could establish territory here.

I don't know how the mailman would like it though...when he has to come up to the house.

Did I just defend Glock? That felt weird.

You are banned to the world of plastic...for life.

Pictures of Colt Pythons please. I love revolvers.

There are about half dozen Canadian geese that are here from time to time, but they aren't domesticated so they are not good guards...they just take care of where they are at the time.

If the coyotes weren't so bad here I'd get some little ones so they could establish territory here.

I don't know how the mailman would like it though...when he has to come up to the house.

You are banned to the world of plastic...for life.

Pictures of Colt Pythons please. I love revolvers.

Sorry no Colts, but I can provide a bit of relief
S&W 29
upload_2017-7-25_18-2-27.jpeg

AWA 1873
upload_2017-7-25_18-3-31.jpeg

Super Blackhawk
upload_2017-7-25_18-4-40.jpeg

The only disadvantage of a revolver is the limited ammo capacity. For home defense and range shooting, a ,357 magnum revolver with a 4" barrel is ideal. The 0.357 magnum has one of the best "one shot stop" track records, especially if you get ammo specifically designed for home defense. Thus, unless your home is attacked by a horde of Zombies, you should not need to reload. With a 4" barrel, accuracy is excellent and there is sufficient weight to tame the recoil from the magnum round. Shorter barrels work fine with 0.38 Special, but are difficult to shoot accurately with magnum loads, especially on follow-up shots.

For range shooting, you can purchase the less expensive 0.38 Special rounds. They have very little recoil in a 4" revolver, so they are fun to shoot.

When I took my wife to the range, she had a lot of trouble racking the slide on a 9mm polymer pistol, but had no trouble shooting a Ruger GP100 Match Champion with either 0.357 Magnum or 0.38 Special rounds. Although she preferred single action mode (cocking the hammer manually), she had sufficient hand strength to fire double action as well.

The S&W 686 is also a nice revolver; but I like the Ruger better. If you can compare both at the range, see which you like best.

.357Magnum?? NOT FOR A **FIRST GUN**!! There are some folks who can say nothing, on any gun forum, unless they suggest a .357Magnum for a FIRST gun.

My question is this: "If the little lady has problems with hand strength for a semi-automatic pistol, will she have the hand strength for the double-action pull poundage of a revolver?" Also, I agree that exposed hammers complete the symmetry of a revolver. HOWEVER, revolver self-defense folks have, and still do, advocate the double-action trigger pull vs. pulling the hammer back in a single-action method.

The OP mentioned liking 3-inch barreled revolvers. Might I suggest a Smith and Wesson 'original design' Bodyguard-638 series. There is a trigger stump and I have seen them fitted with 2 1/2 inch barrels. It is not the wieght of a 'service revolver', but with most standard-pressure ammunition (another thing to consider with weak hands - recoil shock ) this is a fine piece.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
.357Magnum?? NOT FOR A **FIRST GUN**!! There are some folks who can say nothing, on any gun forum, unless they suggest a .357Magnum for a FIRST gun.

My question is this: "If the little lady has problems with hand strength for a semi-automatic pistol, will she have the hand strength for the double-action pull poundage of a revolver?" Also, I agree that exposed hammers complete the symmetry of a revolver. HOWEVER, revolver self-defense folks have, and still do, advocate the double-action trigger pull vs. pulling the hammer back in a single-action method.

The OP mentioned liking 3-inch barreled revolvers. Might I suggest a Smith and Wesson 'original design' Bodyguard-638 series. There is a trigger stump and I have seen them fitted with 2 1/2 inch barrels. It is not the wieght of a 'service revolver', but with most standard-pressure ammunition (another thing to consider with weak hands - recoil shock ) this is a fine piece.

I do like snubbies, but it looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree. In my humble opinion a lightweight snubby is just about the worst revolver for a newbie.

1. The short sight radius on a 2-2 1/2 inch barrel makes getting hits that much harder for a newbie than even a 4 inch barrel, which can be frustrating for a newbie.

2. You take the same load, fire it out of a 14 ounce snubby then fire the same load in a K or L frame and the full sized revolver will have much less felt recoil. And the extra weight of the full sized revolver will help it "hang" better when shooting offhand.

3. Due to the simple mechanicals of the snubby being smaller all around, the shorter internals do not give the leverage of a full sized wheelgun and the snubby will actually have a heavier trigger pull.

I think a full sized .357 with a 4" barrel is about the perfect wheelgun for a newb. You can load everything from light target .38s to standard pressure .38s to .38 +P to full house magnums in it. Just use the loads the shooter is comfortable with.

Just my O2s worth...someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :001_smile

There is a reason that knowledgeable gun people (not just on forums, but long before the internet) have suggested a medium or large frame .357mag as the best handgun for a new shooter since they have been invented. Meanwhile, you turn around and suggest one of the worst guns for a new shooter.

A medium to large frame .357mag can easily shoot .38spl. Out of a K, L or N frame S&W (or equivalent gun from other makers), .38spl is quite the pussycat. Shooting .38spl target wadcutters out of such a gun won't feel much different than shooting a .22lr. Meanwhile, unlike a .22lr, there are quite a few good loads in .38+P (and even some in standard pressure .38) for home defense and carry. Of course, once you are used to it, you can also shoot full power .357mag whenever you want if you get the magnum, not so with a .38spl (and many magnum rounds aren't bad at all out of a medium frame revolver, and are nearly tame out of a large frame revolver). Also, you can get grips that completely change the feel and profile (and even size) of the grips unlike auto pistol grips which are just grip panels and make comparatively much more subtle changes. So, a revolver can be more easily customized for different size hands. Until about 5 or 6 years ago (maybe closer to 10 now), .38spl ammo was comparable in price to 9mm so it was even cheap to shoot for lots of practice (and reloading is easier than an auto since you don't have to chase brass so shooting can still be cheap with a medium frame revolver), and until about the same time frame you could get a quality revolver for less money than a comparable semi. Few guns make a better beginner gun, or all-around gun, than a 3" or 4" medium frame revolver chambered in .357mag.

As for a lightweight J-frame, can't get much worse for a new shooter or one with hand issues that may lead to problems with recoil. As Simon very nicely pointed out...They recoil quite hard (my 442 is worse with +P than my steel frame small framed Rossi 461 with magnums), they are the hardest guns to shoot accurately, due to the small parts in the gun they have a decidedly worse trigger, and frankly a 3" or 4" K or L frame "points" and handles better.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yall are much more experienced with revolvers than I am, but I would like to add, I have shot full sized revolvers and lightweight snubbies, am I the only one who thinks the triggers on the full sized frames, seem to be much smoother and lighter than ones on smaller frame snubbies?

I do like snubbies, but it looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree. In my humble opinion a lightweight snubby is just about the worst revolver for a newbie.

1. The short sight radius on a 2-2 1/2 inch barrel makes getting hits that much harder for a newbie than even a 4 inch barrel, which can be frustrating for a newbie.

2. You take the same load, fire it out of a 14 ounce snubby then fire the same load in a K or L frame and the full sized revolver will have much less felt recoil. And the extra weight of the full sized revolver will help it "hang" better when shooting offhand.

3. Due to the simple mechanicals of the snubby being smaller all around, the shorter internals do not give the leverage of a full sized wheelgun and the snubby will actually have a heavier trigger pull.

I think a full sized .357 with a 4" barrel is about the perfect wheelgun for a newb. You can load everything from light target .38s to standard pressure .38s to .38 +P to full house magnums in it. Just use the loads the shooter is comfortable with.

Just my O2s worth...someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :001_smile

No correcting possible, Mike. I'm with you on this topic.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yall are much more experienced with revolvers than I am, but I would like to add, I have shot full sized revolvers and lightweight snubbies, am I the only one who thinks the triggers on the full sized frames, seem to be much smoother and lighter than ones on smaller frame snubbies?

Nope, you're not the only one...it's the simple leverage on the internals.

Like Orville said to Wilber....YOU'RE WRIGHT!

Sorry...couldn't help it.

Now I need to dig up the gratuitous photo of my 15 ounce Colt Cobra that I dearly love but don't shoot as well as my L frame Smith.

Top Bottom