What's new

My Guess... 3017

Don't fret... 2019 is kind of soon for some of us. At last check I had 65 soaps and based on my usage for the last couple years I have 20+ years in reserve. But I admit that my 400+ shaves on a puck of DRH might have messed with the estimate a bit... I think I need to learn to load more.... if I could just find a 20+ volt lithium ion powered super badger brush I might be able to up my loading a bit. Need to check the DeWalt catalog to see if they make one of those yet.
I second @beginish's comment. Or, if it helps, load it like it owes you money. Which they do, if your think about it the right way.

After the usual hand wringing I decided to tackle a tin of Tiki Spice Islands. This is the tallow version which I picked up at least a couple years ago but scent is still quite strong. Last night's shave was a bit of a let down after a month with AoS but I'll stick with it as I recall this soap being a good performer. Its got a little use on it but probably 3.5 oz of the original 4 are still there.

proxy.php

Progress update:

Soap----------------------Start-Finish............Shaves
Provence Sante ? ?
MW Bay Rum (partial)----5/18/2016-5/28/2016.....11
Tim’s soap Roots----------5/29/2016-8/2/2016.......54
CF Summer Storm--------8/7/2016-8/14/2016.......Failed (smell morphed into turpentine)
Simpson Unscented-------8/15/2016-9/26/2016.....43
Beer Soap Brewing Anise-10/1/2016-11/9/2016.....31
Haslinger Aloe Vera-------10/10/2016-12/4/2016....18
Pre de Provence-----------12/5/2016-4/13/2017......86 (took off Feb for Williams)
Williams Modern-----------2/2/2017-3/3/2017.........30
Synergy Cavendish--------4/14/2017-4/22/17.........Failed (irritation, lacked slickness)
MW Maestrale--------------4/23/2017-5/9/2017.......17
AoS Tallow Lavender------5/10/2017-6/20/2017......32
Tiki Spice Islands----------6/21/2017-

Loading till the are full of dense, creamy proto-lather is what I equate loading like you hate it to. This doesn't take much pressure, but it does somewhat require a drier brush and time.

I started my 3017 of Cold River Soap Works Select Bay Rum yesterday. I bought this last year on blind faith just wanting to try a Bay Rum scent and I really liked how my CRSW soaps were. Unfortunately, I cracked this one open and it reminded me of scented candles from Pier 1 and not exactly what I was expecting Bay Rum to smell like. I have another tub of B&M Bay Rum which is much more to my liking (ironic considering B&M has some really bizarre and polarizing scents out there).

I'm going to 3017 this and either learn to love it, or I'm just going to grudgingly work through it knowing that the soap is awesome; the scent isn't.

I enjoyed this product from Knockout Shave. Great preforming soap. It's a shame the company is no longer around.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I strayed of the 3017 path to dance with newly acquired MdC Agrumes for a couple days. It's excellent.

Back to Fines Lavander. It won't be long now.

New toys mean I'm back to daily shaving. Also it's really easy to load creams! Almost have a hole in my Eton College.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So what are the rules here? Only soaps? Is there a 3017 thread for aftershaves or creams?

Starting Monday I will be 3017ing Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream and D.R. Harris Sandalwood aftershave, together.

So what are the rules here? Only soaps? Is there a 3017 thread for aftershaves or creams?

Starting Monday I will be 3017ing Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream and D.R. Harris Sandalwood aftershave, together.

Welcome! No rules really, we're just a bunch of nuts that have adopted a philosophy of using a product till it's done rather than rotating through many soaps. Even with that said there are no hard and fast rules about adherence to this philosophy, you can be as strict as you feel appropriate.

Soap, cream, doesn't matter, set your mind to finishing something off and you'll fit right in!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Several weeks ago I had encountered the extreme of 3017. I had finished everything! For the first time since 2006, I had no product in the house whatsoever. :eek:

A quick order was placed and I'm happy to say that I am now working my way through a puck of Tabac. All is now right in the world.

.... and we continue on.

Several weeks ago I had encountered the extreme of 3017. I had finished everything! For the first time since 2006, I had no product in the house whatsoever. :eek:

A quick order was placed and I'm happy to say that I am now working my way through a puck of Tabac. All is now right in the world.

.... and we continue on.

The self-fulfilling prophecy. :ouch1:

Indeed, coming up on 19000 posts in this thread, and every one a quality post.

You're a madman, Jim. Did you compress it so much it was like turning coal into diamond?
I guess so. It's a good thing I like this soap. I think I have about a week to go - but I said that a month ago!

Fines Lavender 3017 is complete. It got very swampy near the end and I severely overloaded as a result. I can see the similarities in performance to Tabac, although its been too long since I used Tabac to compare them. Fines soap lathers easily, very slick, scent is mild. This scent is compared to Oxford and Cambridge, I am no scent expert but I would give the nod to C&S in that department by a wide margin. All in all a very good soap, better than most, still, a step short of my 2 favorites, Haslinger and Valobra hard in its various guises. A solid 4 out of 5 stars.

Up next, an Old Spice mug, a puck of Haslinger Ringelblumen, and a long handled brush. Ahhhh, shaving Nirvana for the next month. Ringelblumen is a light fresh scent, perfect for the depths of Summer.

I love the simple packaging and size of Haslinger soaps. Nothing better than unwrapping the plastic and dropping the puck in your favorite shaving mug. Could it be any easier?

Cheers!

Haslinger & Old Spice.JPG

Just an quick update. I've been working on a 3017 of 3 sticks of Arko pressed into a bowl. It started out looking like this:
proxy.php

After 2 months it looks like this:

proxy.php

By weight I'm down to the last half of a stick. Shaves have been good, but nothing spectacular. All things considered, I guess that's to be expected. I estimate between two and 3 weeks left.

Top Bottom