What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Update

Had a upper GI and the Check 6 test yesterday and came back good. They found abrasions in my stomach but no ulcers or other issues. The colonoscopy came back with one small polup that was benign. Next step a hematologist to check spleen function.

Weight is holding at 455. Been down as no one knows why I hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An update on my progress. No progress. Actually at 472 and still no one knows why I hurt. Some days are so bad I can’t do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Some days are so bad I can’t do anything.

Kev, check out the ketogenic diet.

That podcast is a good place to start. Also, time-restricted eating ...

... that can be your entry-point to fasting.

Discipline comes from within ...

Get after it ...

... here and now.

I think intermittent fasting certainly is a powerful tool for anyone looking to loose significant weight. Any tools you can use to motivate you are certainly beneficial in that journey of weight loss.

Here is a podcast dealing with the psychology of eating. I am sure there are other sources. I think it would be a good first step before embarking on any lifestyle change. Understanding Why you have an eating disorder is important to making changes.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@kevdogg329, I have popped in to this thread from time to time but I admit to not having followed it closely, so excuse me if I bring up a topic that has already been discussed. Your weight is certainly contributory to your pain, but beyond that, you need to look into what foods are "inflammatory". It seems I remember that you once said you eat a lot pre-prepared foods. Other than convenience, they have a lot of downsides. There are also a lot of "healthy foods" that really aren't if you have inflammatory pain. Sugars, dairy, peanuts, wheat products, soy, msg, artificial sweeteners, among other common food additives are all inflammatory. Have you been checked for rheumatoid arthritis? Even if you don't have RA, you might investigate what foods to avoid if you have RA.

I have not been checked for RA.

I have been checked for almost everything else in the last 2 years though.

Still struggling with pushing through this. Went to the doc's today and am back up to 491. Had built up to 494, down to 480 then back up to 491. I have to find a way to remove stress from my life.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Good to see you back here, Kev. I was wondering what happened to you. We all wish you well on your journey.

That said, this is your first post from February of 2014 ...

I currently am 500 lbs and can hardly walk up the flight of stairs to go to bed.

... and today:

Went to the doc's today and am back up to 491.

Pardon while I state the obvious ... whatever you've tried so far, hasn't worked. You need a different approach. Please look into the threads here about the ketogenic diet ... several members here (myself included) have had great success on this path. We'd love for you to join us.

The Ketogenic Get Healthy Thread
What's your Ketogenic Plate of the Day? Or just post a great recipe!

Seriously, this stuff works. Commit to it for 6 weeks ... if it doesn't work for you in that time, okay ... but I think you will see some great results.

I have to find a way to remove stress from my life.

That can help too.

I'm no expert, but can offer what help I can, even just to listen. What is causing you stress in your life?

Good to see you back here, Kev. I was wondering what happened to you. We all wish you well on your journey.

<snip>

Pardon while I state the obvious ... whatever you've tried so far, hasn't worked. You need a different approach. Please look into the threads here about the ketogenic diet ... several members here (myself included) have had great success on this path. We'd love for you to join us.

The Ketogenic Get Healthy Thread
What's your Ketogenic Plate of the Day? Or just post a great recipe!

Seriously, this stuff works. Commit to it for 6 weeks ... if it doesn't work for you in that time, okay ... but I think you will see some great results.

I'm no expert, but can offer what help I can, even just to listen. What is causing you stress in your life?

Doc is right, Keto definitely works. You don't have to go "full Keto", though. Just do what you can to cut out (or at least limit) any or all of these:
  • Processed sugar
  • Processed food
  • Fried anything
  • Pasta, rice and potatoes
  • Bread

And then have just about as much as you want of these:
  • Water (lots and lots)
  • Chicken, turkey and fish
  • Veggies of all colors
  • Nuts of all varieties

My wife just made wonderful chicken enchiladas, using thinly-sliced zucchini instead of tortillas, and it's great. The same can be done with lasagna (sub zucchini for the pasta). There's a host of mouth-watering recipes in the Keto thread.

Another tip is to avoid eating for at least two hours after you wake up (when your natural HGH is highest) and at least three hours before you go to sleep. This gives your body time to change the food into fuel while you're still using it, not while you're storing it.

In doing this modified eating regimen, I'm happy and I'm full. I also lost about 15% of my body weight - just about all fat loss. For you, that would be significant and would likely let you move around a lot easier, which just accelerates the process.

Keep at it. You have people rooting for you.

Bacon worked for me.

Nice steak with 1/2 lb bacon.

No kidding. Dropped from 220 to 175. Now rolling between 175-180 after a year. 178 is my top BMI for age and height so trying to stick under that weight.

Top Bottom