What's new

Clyde72's Shaving Journal

Your last few shaves and pics are great, Craig!

I remember making note of my 42nd shave, pondering if it would be a "meaning of life" shave. Turned out it was a shave of persistence and slow progress... so, yes, I guess. :001_cool:

Great Read and photo Craig, love the composition. If I ever get that soap back from the boss I will enjoy it again...... LOL

Thanks Dave! Well you can always order anther tin just for you!

Your last few shaves and pics are great, Craig!

I remember making note of my 42nd shave, pondering if it would be a "meaning of life" shave. Turned out it was a shave of persistence and slow progress... so, yes, I guess. :001_cool:

Thanks Brad! I'm half way there to my 42nd straight shave. I wonder what soap I could use for that shave??? :confused2 Any suggestions? :biggrin::idea::wink2:

Funnily enough, 42 in ASCII(how machines can represent characters in a numeric context) is the asterisk, the asterisk is commonly used as just a fill-in character. So based on this, 42 can be interpreted in that answer to mean "fill in your own meaning of life"!

So maybe One at random?

Funnily enough, 42 in ASCII(how machines can represent characters in a numeric context) is the asterisk, the asterisk is commonly used as just a fill-in character. So based on this, 42 can be interpreted in that answer to mean "fill in your own meaning of life"!

So maybe One at random?

That is another way to look at it also. And it works just as well and maybe even better in conjunction with the wildcard definition. There is no set meaning of life. The meaning of life is what ever you define it to be.

Great razors and software last several shaves! The chin and under the nose are touch and I only have a few razors that can handle my "soul patch" area esp ATG

Thanks Owen!
I'm working on that touch with the straight. I have pretty much mastered it with my DE's......OUCH! Never mind!! :rolleyes1o_O

5-26-2017
Straight Razor Shave #22 (1 pass WTG and XTG cheeks & chin only)

Pre Shave: Dove Men+Care’s Deep Clean+ Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Straight Razor: Tom's Frederick Reynolds
Strop: Poor Man's Strop 50 post 75 pre
DE Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable I2 (set on 6)
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Brush: Asylum Brush Works Cheswick Shaving Brush in Silvertip Fiber
Soap: The Blades Grim Gold Luxury Shaving Soap Smolder
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block, and Thayers
After Shave: Bootlegger's El Dorado and LAB Series Razor Burn Relief
Non Shave Areas: Dove Men+ Care Hydrate+ Face Lotion
Cologne: Polo Supreme Leather EDP

Well other than the soap, lather, El Dorado, and Polo Supreme Leather, today's shave was not stellar!!
Not sure what I did wrong, I think I had the angle off some and maybe too many strokes as I shaved with the straight. I also managed to give myself a pretty good weeper almost nick on my neck with the Slim. Major alum burn which I expected, since the rinse water after the XTG pass had a sting to it. I'll call today's shave a BBS--, the shave was BBS+, but due to the burn and weeper, not BBS worthy.
The Smolder soap and the Asylum whipped up a great lather, nice and slick, great residual slickness, and stable! I like the scent of this soap. I choose it because my nose said that it, the El Dorado and Polo matched up. I was right! I really struggle to describe the scent of this soap, I'll just say it is masculine, with some vanilla, spice, musk, and to me leather. We all know the leathery component of the El Dorado, so to my nose it was a good combination.
The Polo Supreme Leather is as you would guess leather, not really an English Leather, similar but more rounded, tonka bean, and spice. A definite masculine scent.

Now some 5 hours later the LAB Series Razor Burn Relief did it's job and there is no razor burn! The Polo's longevity isn't as great as I had hoped, It's barely detectable at this point.

Setup 5-27-2017
Setup-5-27-2017.jpg

Sorry to hear about the irritation and weeper Craig. Great shave aside from the pain, and the Polo Supreme Leather sounds like a winner.

I'm wondering if your less than stellar shave is because the edge on the straight "feels" dull to you. When the blade feels dull (whether it is or not doesn't matter) we have a tendency to want to make the angle more aggressive and press harder ...so it feels more like we think it should.

Great to see the software selection is living up to your expectations. Good stuff.

Pleasant read! Unfortunate about the weeper though. A big weeper + alum block = terrible times.

Thanks Soul! The weeper wasn't that big and the most intense burn was more of the all over face thing.

Sorry to hear about the irritation and weeper Craig. Great shave aside from the pain, and the Polo Supreme Leather sounds like a winner.

Thanks Eric! I had gotten a sample of it some time ago and just kept looking for a deal. Got a good one on the Bay.

I'm wondering if your less than stellar shave is because the edge on the straight "feels" dull to you. When the blade feels dull (whether it is or not doesn't matter) we have a tendency to want to make the angle more aggressive and press harder ...so it feels more like we think it should.

Great to see the software selection is living up to your expectations. Good stuff.

That could be, maybe on some level. I know the blade is still sharp as is evident in the cut whiskers in the lather scraping (for lack of a better description). I think it was more of an attempt to get too much too soon. Or maybe get more out of the pass than what I had been.

That's pretty easy to do. Getting too greedy on the first pass is something I fight every time I put steel to face.

It is so hard not to do that!

Rich and Brad, I guess you take the good with the bad. The reason I attempted to get greedy is because I was feeling comfortable wit the pass. Wet shaving has a way of reminding us not to take these things for granted!

Nice couple of shaves Craig. I was behind that's for sure!

Thanks Chad! No worries I'm having a heck of a time keeping up with my entries and reads lately!

Top Bottom