What's new

The "is it worth it?" PIF

Thank you Gdawgs. Thank you all that have or are serving on this Beautiful Memorial weekend.
Would be a great weekend to CALL THE PIF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a vet I always feel a little weird when people thank me for my service, like other people deserve the thanks more, you know? Is it the same for anyone else?

I never use to think twice about it but for the guys and gals that put themselves in or could potentially put harms way to protect our way of life I am grateful.... not sure why my attitude changed.

I did try to get into the NZ airforce once and got to the second interview but they canceled the intake that year and never pursued it after that.

I now make sure I do thank serving personal.

I guess I just have to be vigilante that there are no misunderstandings. I am disabled. I am a vet. I am not a disabled vet, meaning, while I do have scars from the military, they were my own stupidity, being young and dumb and not from any kind of valor. I was deployed to Bosnia and got hazard pay, but, I was never shot at, you know. I think we have started taking for granted some of the horrors these kids have been witness to since 2001. For the soldiers of the cold war era there were less. I got out in 2000 and barely missed it. A friend of mine or two got called back to active duty, but, my name wasn't called. This is kind of what I mean.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I feel about like tehnothing. I was air force from 2000 to 2006. Deployed twice to war zones. ptsd? Probably, but I haven't claimed it because I feel like a fraud compared to guys from D-Day and Vietnam. I'm well-adjusted compared to those guys.

I just feel awkward. Like a phoney. I dunno. I'm glad I served, but the VA is CRAP and getting my disability or anything else just seems like too much hassle and b.s. at this point.

The VA is so much crap. I pay outside for mental health because I don't trust the VA anymore.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I've never been in the forces but in the UK ex-servicemen/women have NEVER been well treated.
The Duke of Wellington an historic military hero when comparing the difference between French conscription and British said the British provided the scum of the earth.
Things have improved in recent years but they're still left to sink or swim and many end up sleeping rough (homeless) or in prison.

I don't bother. My father-in-law has gone to them for years. 4 months ago, he gets bloodwork done and suddenly he has STAGE 4 cancer and 6 months tops. I guess they just missed that. And it's not service related. See also: Agent Orange and liver cancer...

You're welcome for the service, call your Congressman (who didn't serve and his kids didnt serve)...

Shrug. Tell me more about how the president had a bowel movement....

As a vet I always feel a little weird when people thank me for my service, like other people deserve the thanks more, you know? Is it the same for anyone else?
My wife feels the same way. She was never deployed, and feels guilty when people thank her.

My wife feels the same way. She was never deployed, and feels guilty when people thank her.

Without the support staff the front line staff wouldn't be there equipped as well as they are. So even tho she didn't get deployed she did her bit and served well I'm sure.

Great day here too. We got lucky, a big storm came through and caused white a bit of damage in our area, but all we have is a few downed limbs in the yard. I will just cut them up and throw them in the burn pile.

Packing! Tomorrow we sign the lease on our new place. Closer to work by an hour and nearer the big city! A washer and dryer! A couch and the big tv out of storage! A BATHROOM WORTHY OF MY SHAVING PRODUCTS!

I might be excited.

One more dance, little monkeys. 7 points. Even the last can be first. Or tied anyhow. It's so crazy, I could tinkle. Right here on the patio.

Top Bottom