What's new

Gurkha Cellar Reserve 21 Year

Ok, So I just celebrated my 47th birthday and I wanted to treat myself with an expensive cigar. I proceeded to my local cigar club and looked around. I decided to pick a Gurkha Cellar Reserve 21 year old. It cost me just under $20. On my way home I stopped at a coffee shop and ordered up a good Kenian coffee (I don't drink alcohol). At my house I sat on my back porch, cut the cigar and lit it up. My impression of the cigar: Horrible! I was greatly disappointed. I first noticed difficulty lighting it. Then when I finally had it lit, the draw was terrible. Very hard to puff on and very little smoke. I didn't even finish it.

I wonder if anyone else ever had issues with this cigar before? I buy cigars often from that cigar shop and never had problems before. As a matter of fact, I usually smoke Perdomo's and they are stored in the same case.

My father always told me that you get what you pay for; not so in this case.

Gurkha kind of has a reputation for being overpriced and having bad construction. I'm sure they have good cigars in their lineup, but I stay away from all of their offerings.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I've never done it, but it's been said you can take a plugged cigar back to the shop for a refund or exchange.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Sometimes the more elaborate and ornate the band the less impressive the Cigar. I have gotten some Gurkha samples but never bought any to stock up myself.

Gurkha with their 7231 different blends can be quite hit or miss. I remember their G3 and Master Selects with the cedar sleeves being really good but I can remember plenty of their other blends being just meh.

If you are looking to treat yourself to a great cigar you probably can't miss with something from Padron or Alec Bradley.

Kaizad Hansotia does not grow tobacco, he buys it in smallish batches, hence the 80,000 different blends with the Gurkha name on it. That's not necessarily a bad thing - a lot of cigar makers buy leaf, although they usually try to fit it into the flavor profile of the cigar they are producing, rather than creating a new cigar based on the leaf they buy.

I've had some really great cigars from Gurkha in the past, but it seems to me that, for at least the past 8-10 years, they have focused more on creating glitzier and more elaborate packaging than on the cigars themselves. Not that the cigars are bad, but you get a lesser cigar for the money because more of the retail cost is going toward individual Madagascar ebony coffins or hand-carved dinosaur bone boxes or some other cool-sounding but kinda ludicrous merchandising gimmick.

A plugged cigar, though, is just a plugged cigar. It happens. Sucks when it does, but like Derrick said...many reputable cigar shops will allow you to bring a plugged stick back for an exchange.

I have some Gurkhas in my humidor that I like. But I've had some that were not to my liking. Certainly if I was spending $20 on a stick I would be looking at other brands. Bad draw happens with every brand at least once in a while in my experience. It's kind of the luck of the draw so to speak. Hopefully the Kenya was good.

Top Bottom