What's new

NOW CLOSED 2017 B&B Gold Dollar Mod Competition- Novice Class

It's gonna take me a bit since I've never attempted this but I'm in. I already have a couple ideas but going from brain to blade is gonna be some work...lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Pinning is my weakest point. I've been doing metal shaping/fabricating of one sort or another for the last 28 years, and a lot of various wood working in there at times as well. Those aspects I feel sort of comfortable with, even though I'm used to much bigger work-pieces. To date, I've pinned one set of scales........ And I struggled with that one.
I have never pinned one before, but; I have seen it done on you tube. ;)

It's gonna take me a bit since I've never attempted this but I'm in. I already have a couple ideas but going from brain to blade is gonna be some work...lol.

Glad to have you joining in! Can't wait to see what you create!

I have never pinned one before, but; I have seen it done on you tube. ;)

I'm an old ironworker, so the "pins" I'm used to hitting are 14 inch long 3 pound bull pins with a 24 inch 8 pound hammer.....
Those tiny little brass things are a challenge to not completely crush! :lol:

Lol I splurged on a 4oz jeweler's hammer, and I choke up on it to reduce the impact. Nothing more annoying than being almost done and bending the pin because you hit it too hard.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker

Welcome to B&B! You've still got a month so that should give you plenty of time. Also be sure and get your post count up. Plenty of time for that as well!

A view of the nose and the stamp side. The spine requires more shaping.
gd66-03.jpg
gd66-07.jpg

I know the feeling very well mate, but you have time this is new to most of us here.

@sfeile Yep and I thought how small is these washers I even tried a toffee hammer but I still bent the first pin lol

@Smattayu Same as you mate I bought a 6oz jeweler's hammer so I could not whack it

I've been using an oversized tablespoon that has set in the kitchen drawer for nearly a decade without being used. I'm so heavy-handed that I don't even trust myself with the 4oz. Chasing hammer. Even with the tablespoon I bent the first pin I tried to peen,

So after some calculations, I won't make my 50 days by July 1 so I've decided to troll and wait until next year. Good luck to all and I look forward to seeing the creations.

David

So after some calculations, I won't make my 50 days by July 1 so I've decided to troll and wait until next year. Good luck to all and I look forward to seeing the creations.

Ah, that's a bummer. Do you have a gold dollar? If you have one and the tools to Mod it with I would be ok with you still participating in this thread, you just won't be eligible for the prize. This is mostly for the fun of it anyway. Your call.

Ah, that's a bummer. Do you have a gold dollar? If you have one and the tools to Mod it with I would be ok with you still participating in this thread, you just won't be eligible for the prize. This is mostly for the fun of it anyway. Your call.
I have 2 arriving tomorrow. I'm not worried about a prize and would love to still participate. Thank you!

David

I have 2 arriving tomorrow. I'm not worried about a prize and would love to still participate. Thank you!

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I'm not worried about the prize either, 'cause I think @Ice-Man is hiding his final results because he's got a sleeper up his sleeve. :001_tt2:

I'm not worried about the prize either, 'cause I think @Ice-Man is hiding his final results because he's got a sleeper up his sleeve. :001_tt2:

No not at all its not happy with all you guys, its ashamed to come out as you will or would laugh at him. And as for the sleeper your right my arms have gone numb and gone to sleep. :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

No not at all its not happy with all you guys, its ashamed to come out as you will or would laugh at him. And as for the sleeper your right my arms have gone numb and gone to sleep. :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:
Yeah, yeah.... Dave already gave it away when he said you were holding out... Your arms are numb from hiding it so you don't shame us. :jump:

That is the spirit!

Top Bottom