What's new

Toronto

My wife and I are planning a trip to Toronto this summer. Are there any things we have to make sure we don't miss? We are already planning to do most "tourist" things like the aquarium, hockey hall of fame, Niagara Falls, Casa Loma, and a Jays game. My wife also wants to go to the shoe museum. Also, we'll be there over our anniversary. Are there restaurants you recommend? We are staying downtown.

Thanks.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Niagara Falls? Be sure to check out the "wine tour" region of the Niagara Peninsula, and don't forget a stop at the Queenston Heights war memorial.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Niagara Falls? Be sure to check out the "wine tour" region of the Niagara Peninsula, and don't forget a stop at the Queenston Heights war memorial.

Don't listen to this guy Eh, he lives on the other side of the Country. :lol:

When visiting T.O. or the "416"... or just the "6" as all the cool kids say...your trip isn't complete without walking the Leafs Stanley Cup parade route. Left in its original state, its remained untouched and in pristine condition for fifty years.
If you're visiting in late summer and are a football fan, check to see if the Argos are in town and catch a game at BMO Field. If you're lucky the Argos will be hosting the Ti-Cats...Hamilton's hoi polloi make the trip up the QEW in throngs and in the stands are always good "entertainment", because what else is there to do in Hamilton except leave Hamilton.
Take a ferry out to Toronto Island, a sort of oasis away from the Big Smoke. It's kind of nice.
The old days of shopping at Honest Ed's or the huge Sam The Record Man on Yonge Street are long gone, but those were real Toronto landmarks.
Enjoy your trip, and hopefully the Jays have sorted things out by the time you arrive:001_huh:

Toronto is famous for our neighbourhoods. Check out the Distillery District, St Lawrence Market on a Saturday morning. Little Italy, Chinatown and Kensington Market are close enough together to explore in a day . Lots of great restaurants in all three.

Head to The Beaches for an afternoon and a sunset walk along the Boardwalk.

You will have a great time!

There's good advice here.

I think everyone who visits Toronto needs to walk the Path in the middle of a weekday, say from the Eaton Centre down to Commerce Court and the TD Centre. You will rub elbows with one million purposeful people, and then you can really say that you have been here. At TD Centre, Canoe is good for a celebration meal with an awesome view.

The bikeshare system is a great way to explore the centre.

Aga Khan museum is on my list this summer.

Have lunch or dinner at L'Espresso Bar Mercurio across from the Shoe museum when you go there.

When visiting T.O. or the "416"... or just the "6" as all the cool kids say...your trip isn't complete without walking the Leafs Stanley Cup parade route. Left in its original state, its remained untouched and in pristine condition for fifty years.

That's because they haven't needed it for 50 years. :a21: I do have to admit to wishing they'd made it to round 2 this year if for on other reason than it would drive the Habs fans insane.

On the Canadian side of the river is a cool old fort that has some nice exhibits and some re-enactors who will proudly tell you about the valiant Redcoats who gave the evil Yankee aggressors a sound thrashing.

It is a neat place if you are into historical stuff. The name of the fort escapes me but it is publicized up there pretty well.

Oh yeah, one more neat place - the Corning glass museum in Corning NY. Very cool place, lots to do and see. Lots of exhibits and demonstrations. Fascinating and definitely worth the drive down from Buffalo.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
On the Canadian side of the river is a cool old fort that has some nice exhibits and some re-enactors who will proudly tell you about the valiant Redcoats who gave the evil Yankee aggressors a sound thrashing.

We fired our guns and the Yankees kept a-comin' ... there wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago. We fired once more and they began a-runnin' ... right down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

IMG_0006.JPG
When in Toronto be sure to try the Construction Crane Climbing Challenge. Hours of fun for the whole family!

Right downtown you can go to Toronto Barber and Beauty Supply. It is at the corner of Bay and Dundas. Lots of good shaving hardware there, and your US dollars will make any purchase a bargain.

Top Bottom