What's new

When is a nick a mark of death for a strop

As a new straight razor user I am currently going through the process of learning how to strop. I am currently very bad at it and I have nicked my Herold 155Ri a few times on the top right hand side (as pictured). I have attempted to scissor down the nicks and try to avoid the area.

IMG_1754.JPG

I'm just wondering whether cuts or nicks like these mean the strop will damage the edge or how serious a cut has to be to render a strop useless. Thanks for the help B&B!

A ruler in the picture may help with the determination but those look pretty minor, +1 on the sand paper. Judging by the picture you should be fine with a little sanding and conditioning or rubbed in lather.

~J. Babcock
Foxhole Shavers Club (16yr USAF, currently MSgt OKANG)

Here's my advice - don't bother to mind it. Just keep stopping as if it isn't there.

When you cut the strop in two then it's finished. All else, just don't mind it. It won't bother the edge one bit.

Chris

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Those aren't bad, when I opened the post I expected to see carnage. As said above, a little sandpaper will do ya well.

Cheers, Steve

As a new straight razor user I am currently going through the process of learning how to strop. I am currently very bad at it and I have nicked my Herold 155Ri a few times on the top right hand side (as pictured). I have attempted to scissor down the nicks and try to avoid the area.

View attachment 783903

I'm just wondering whether cuts or nicks like these mean the strop will damage the edge or how serious a cut has to be to render a strop useless. Thanks for the help B&B!

How are you gripping the shank while stropping, and what is involved during the flip? Please be as precise in your description as possible.

How are you gripping the shank while stropping, and what is involved during the flip? Please be as precise in your description as possible.

I am gripping the tang similar to a pencil grip with my right hand: thumb on the bottom of the tang, index finger on the top of the tang, and my middle finger underneath. My flip is done by twisting the tang in my fingers with a bit of wrist flection. I try my best to have the spine remain on the strop throughout the entire process.

I am gripping the tang similar to a pencil grip with my right hand: thumb on the bottom of the tang, index finger on the top of the tang, and my middle finger underneath. My flip is done by twisting the tang in my fingers with a bit of wrist flection. I try my best to have the spine remain on the strop throughout the entire process.

I would suggest gripping the shank more from side to side, biassed toward the edge rather than spine, with a slight turn of the wrist in making the flip. This adds more control than a roll flip holding the shank from top to bottom. Sham's video illustrates what I'm talking about, although I start from top to bottom, rather than from bottom to top as shown, and hold both pieces together. Once I switched to this, no more unexplained nicks.

I would suggest gripping the shank more from side to side, biassed toward the edge rather than spine, with a slight turn of the wrist in making the flip. This adds more control than a roll flip holding the shank from top to bottom. Sham's video illustrates what I'm talking about, although I start from top to bottom, rather than from bottom to top as shown, and hold both pieces together. Once I switched to this, no more unexplained nicks.

Thanks very much for the advice and accompanying video! I am going to try the grip Sham explained with my shave today.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A pumice stone is great for smoothing out minor nicks. For smoothing out problems with big Nicks, such as the co-founder of this site, I use a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.

Top Bottom