What's new

voskhod hit or miss?

this is a YMMV thing, but I got a pack of these and they are the worst brand I have tried to date other than merkur branded blades. Popped one into a 37C and the tugging was instantaneous on my course stubble. I know these are liked by many, but how many others have had a similar experience?

They do have the occasional dud. The very first one that I used was a dud. I binned it and installed a different one. Shaving heaven for me.

They are cheap, so pitch the bad one and try another. Most likely you will enjoy it.

Same experience for me last week, blitz. Very poor shave. I pitched the blade after one shave. I do have one more Voshkod blade left from a sampler, so I may eventually give Voshkod another chance...but with so many good quality blades available, I really don't see myself buying Voshkods. Really left me with a bad taste.

I got a lot of tugging too. I pitched it halfway through the shave. There's too many good blades out there that will let me enjoy every shave.

Strange. Maybe recent production stuff falling off? Bought hundreds a few years ago and they're silky smooth (yep, I know sensitive skin and coarse beard - my barber changes his shavette at least once evening up my sideburns..)

A perfect example of "YMMV." For me and my face, loaded into my Maggard's MR5-v.3, the Voskhod blade is the perfect combination of "sharp, smooth, and comfortable." It's a really, really good blade.

IMG_1738.JPG

I purchased one hundred Volkhods. I am not a fan, but they seem to work great in my wife's Parker 29L, for leg shaving.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Same as above with a recent sampler. I will give them another shot but I'm not very optimistic. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my Nacets.

IMHO Voskhod are ok as daily beaters, but I can take them or leave them
Which seems strange, because I find all the other blades from the Rapira factory to be much more user friendly

I ordered a sample pack that included Voskhod blades and it's probably one of the worst blades I've tried to date. There was a lot of tugging. I did not even finish the shave for fear of what my face might look like if I did continue. I must say however that I did have a one day stubble but I never have issues with my Feather or SuperMax blades.

In my opinion the majority of blades are serviceable, with Bics and Derbys being the only blades I've had detrimental non-technique related difficulties (pulling instead of cutting/slicing my face up like a meat grinder).

As I said, most blades will serviceably get you a minimum of two shaves if your technique is even decent.

Voskhods are one of those blades for me. If they were the only blades available I'd use them and get about 2-4 alright shaves, but since they aren't the only blades available I don't have to.

I have about 4 unopened tucks of Voskhods that I'm sure I'll use up at some point.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Miss for me unfortunately as i had high hopes. I did buy a pack of Rapira Platinum Lux at the same time and a big thumbs up there. You win some............

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I too pitched them after one shave due to tugging and irritation and went back to a GSB. I gave the rest to my grandson who shaves peach fuzz and they work great for him.

I bought 100 early on in my journey, mistake, for me they're not very good. I recently put one in after 32 shaves with a Polsilver and the Voskhod shave was sad. Never a very good shave as compared to a handful of other blades i can use for weeks per blade and i only use the Voskhod for a few shaves. I do like the packaging though.

dave

Was it the Voshkods that had QC issues (uneven bevel) at one time? Perhaps old-stock?
I understand they released some blades that were improperly ground. I'm confident that is true because I've had some of the best shaves of my life with Voskhod - but I had two blades that were absolutely terrible. I've bought them more than once and from more than one seller, so I have no idea which of my blades are good and which are the poorly ground ones.

They work for me. However I did have a dud about halfway through a pack of 100. Apparently I was too dense to realize that a blade that normally works for me wasn't working. Two shaves in I got the bright idea to change the blade and we were back in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom