What's new

New Gem Style SE razor from Above The Tie

It's official guys. Check this out

Go to 29:56 mark on the video to see the the razor in action.

Nice Job Stan [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dangit. I didn't think any of them would be coming out so soon. Looks like I know what my next razor is.

See what happens. Blackland has one also, put on Facebook. My opinion blackland is a better product at this price point.

See what happens. Blackland has one also, put on Facebook. My opinion blackland is a better product at this price point.

Blackland and ATT secured the top cap by putting the post through the hole in the middle of the Gem blade which was a great idea in order to keep the head small. I like Blackland keeping the top cap chiseled like the vintage Gem razors but am not too sure how the screw post will hold up as it is essentially a 10-32 screw cut off on two sides. ATT, with the domed top cap does offer more shaving angles and the hook mechanism does allow the head and blade to be removed without taking apart the razor. I also like that Prismatic style scalloped head. Both seem to be coming out around the same time and so let the race begin! Looks like this might be the year of the Gem blade where last year was the year of the Feather AC. Only problem I see is so far all of those either in production or companies exploring the idea are high end places. No below $100 options yet and not for a while as Colonial is concentrating on their DE project right now and Ikon still haven't come out with their corrected El Jefe.

Blackland and ATT secured the top cap by putting the post through the hole in the middle of the Gem blade which was a great idea in order to keep the head small. I like Blackland keeping the top cap chiseled like the vintage Gem razors but am not too sure how the screw post will hold up as it is essentially a 10-32 screw cut off on two sides. ATT, with the domed top cap does offer more shaving angles and the hook mechanism does allow the head and blade to be removed without taking apart the razor. I also like that Prismatic style scalloped head. Both seem to be coming out around the same time and so let the race begin! Looks like this might be the year of the Gem blade where last year was the year of the Feather AC. Only problem I see is so far all of those either in production or companies exploring the idea are high end places. No below $100 options yet and not for a while as Colonial is concentrating on their DE project right now and Ikon still haven't come out with their corrected El Jefe.
I agree this seems to be lining up to be the AGE OF the GEM. I also hope someone produces on for the humble masses.

I agree this seems to be lining up to be the AGE OF the GEM. I also hope someone produces on for the humble masses.
Maybe this going to be like how the Feather AC safety razors started out where the only two options were $200 razors and it took a couple of years before others jumped in with below $100 options. Oh well, looks like our MMOC, your Pall Mall, and my Rapide will have to last a while longer.

Maybe this going to be like how the Feather AC safety razors started out where the only two options were $200 razors and it took a couple of years before others jumped in with below $100 options. Oh well, looks like our MMOC, your Pall Mall, and my Rapide will have to last a while longer.
I did a half shave with the Pall Mall (the other half with the RX) and got a great shave. Very happy to wait . Now I need to find another one that isn't missing the end of the handle :thumbup:

I made it to Big Shave 3 after all. Here is a shot of the new ATT.

proxy.php

They may begin accepting pre-orders in a couple of weeks possibly even sooner.

Sorry for the image quality but conditions were less than ideal.

As for low end razors using the classic Gem blade, Phoenix Artisan Accouterments was showing this prototype:

proxy.php

It's made of aluminum and has a target price of $25. Note that this is an early prototype - the blade stops on the production model will likely be more conventionally located on the base plate rather than on the cap.

I would agree that this may be the year for new razors using the classic Gem style SE blade.

The Big Shave 3 was great, traffic to/from San Diego was murder. :eek:

--Bob

I made it to Big Shave 3 after all. Here is a shot of the new ATT.

proxy.php

Sorry for the image quality but conditions were less than ideal.

As for low end razors using the classic Gem blade, Phoenix Artisan Accouterments was showing this prototype:

proxy.php

It's made of aluminum and has a target price of $25. Note that this is an early prototype - the blade stops on the production model will likely be more conventionally located on the base plate rather than on the cap.

I would agree that this may be the year for new razors using the classic Gem style SE blade.

The Big Shave 3 was great, traffic to/from San Diego was murder. :eek:

--Bob
Great pics Bob! I am glad that someone is coming out with a low cost Gem style. For the PAA, how does the top cap secure to the razor? Is is a standard three piece design but with the post behind the blade?

I think so. I didn't get a chance to handle it much. It was difficult enough to get people to stop picking it up long enough for me to snap a few pictures.

--Bob

The PAA and ATT offerings look great. I tend to keep to the inexpensive offerings, so the PAA is very much on my radar.

I absolutely adore my 1912, Junior, and MM-CP. The G-Bar is great as well. A modern offering hopefully will be about as good as the vintage variety.

The pin locking mechanism is the only thing I would be worried about on the ATT. Can you imagine taking that razor apart and losing that pin down the sink? DOH!!! I hope they offer replacement pins or something. Plus the head looks like it was over machined for such a blade that has a slim profile. Maybe it's just me. It still looks beautiful....:001_tt1:

I spoke to Stan about the locking mechanism and he told me that this was the reason why he would suggest just loosening it enough so the head can slide off and taking it completely apart to occasionally clean it. The head is over machined primarily to keep the feel more like a DE. I think he realizes that the Gem type community is small and wants to get crossover folks from his loyal DE followers. Who knows, the original Feather AC safety razors were either thin injector type heads or chiseled heads, but the ones with the domed DE type heads are excellent performers (ATT, Colonial, ES, and Ikon).

Top Bottom