What's new

Adapting Chili to vegetarians

Alright. This is probably grounds for bannination from the Mess Hall, and I fully expect Aaron and Owen to run away screaming. (We'll find them later in a dark corner rocking back and forth with their blankies.)

So here goes: Has anyone ever tried converting their favorite chili recipe to vegetarian friendly? I ask because a one of my best friends is vegetarian. He and his wife are coming over for dinner and I thought it would be kick to make him a good bowl o' red. (Well, perhaps not "good" since it will have no meat, but perhaps an "enjoyable" bowl o' red.)
Note they are "vegetarians" not "vegans", so while meat is out, dairy, eggs, etc. is OK.

Any ideas or suggestions?

We make a vegetarian shepherds pie that subs tofu for ground meat. You first freeze the block of tofu, thaw it then crumble it, the texture becomes quite different has some chew to it, resistance to the tooth. Haven't tried extending this to a chili recipe but it might work. I've seen chili recipes using tempeh but again haven't tried any of them.

dave

Alright. This is probably grounds for bannination from the Mess Hall, and I fully expect Aaron and Owen to run away screaming. (We'll find them later in a dark corner rocking back and forth with their blankies.)

So here goes: Has anyone ever tried converting their favorite chili recipe to vegetarian friendly? I ask because a one of my best friends is vegetarian. He and his wife are coming over for dinner and I thought it would be kick to make him a good bowl o' red. (Well, perhaps not "good" since it will have no meat, but perhaps an "enjoyable" bowl o' red.)
Note they are "vegetarians" not "vegans", so while meat is out, dairy, eggs, etc. is OK.

Any ideas or suggestions?
I will warn you up front, I avoid anything labeled vegetarian or vegan, including soaps. My daughter was extremely into vegan for a while, in a way that simply left me with a bad attitude towards the idea. However, she would make chili using vegan substitutes, such as vegetable based substitutes for hamburger. Other than that, the chili was made the same as any other chili; chili pepper, onions, tomatoes, etc. In fact, it should be fine if you just omit the meat as I believe it is the only ingredient that isn't acceptable to a vegetarian.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not me- I grew up with beans in chili. They are a cheap source of protein. Kidney or black beans would be great. Great Northern Beans, in my opinion, don't work well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and I have even thought of adding tofu to regular chili, as they are flavor sponges and add a different texture

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Jim, the first thing that came to mind was a "Green Chili Stew." Lot's of recipes on the internet. I like the one that includes potatoes. Also what comes to mind is just a straight vegetarian recipe that has all the ingredients of a traditional chili, but substitute beef for vegetarian burger crumbles.

The Best Vegetarian Chili in the World Recipe

other than that....:surrender:

P.S. You would be banned but I no longer hold da poowa.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Nothing to do with chili... but I just saw this recipe for Cheesy Cauli Bread that looked worth trying. :w00t:

proxy.php

P.S. You would be banned but I no longer hold da poowa.
Well, veggies are food, and the Mess Hall is all about food and kitchen things, so, I guess.. no banning here today. lol

I like the idea of using the broken up veggie burger, then you can also add in some potatoes and beans, if you think it needs some filling out. Tofu is I guess always an option, as well.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My wife goes veggie from time to time. I make it exactly the same way as I do with meat and substitute chunks of tofu about 1/2" x 1/2". Roughly speaking:

Brown up the tofu cubes (a whole pound worth) in some olive oil and set aside
1 or 2 onions diced and cooked down
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce or blitz a second can of diced tomatoes
Up to 3 cans of various beans (black, red, chickpeas)
Mushrooms sliced . . . as much as you want
3 tbsp oregano
1/4 cup of chili powder
1 tbsp cumin

I had some veggie chili at a neighbor's house a while ago. She got the recipe from a TV show. You can find the recipe here. It was quite good.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I will warn you up front, I avoid anything labeled vegetarian or vegan, including soaps. My daughter was extremely into vegan for a while, in a way that simply left me with a bad attitude towards the idea. However, she would make chili using vegan substitutes, such as vegetable based substitutes for hamburger. Other than that, the chili was made the same as any other chili; chili pepper, onions, tomatoes, etc. In fact, it should be fine if you just omit the meat as I believe it is the only ingredient that isn't acceptable to a vegetarian.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

^^^What he said...or...gag...tofu... or "beans". Make a test batch all the different ways and see how it turns out.

The Pioneer Woman one that Jim C. linked to looks fairly good, but it has tomatoes in it. I'd try beans to replace the meat...or mushrooms.

Don't worry about being banned, Jim.

:hang:

:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

I'm going to go lye down now and cry, with two blankies, then get up and fix the last of the ground buffalo I have left. This post has upset me.

Just kidding. Let us know how it turns out. Thanks for the post...I may make a bit of chili with the buffalo meat as I was trying to decide what to do with it.

The beans may be a good option and probably be fine.

Well, thanks for all the ideas! I think I will take my usual recipe, and add a couple of different types of beans to it -- I'm thinking black beans and pintos. And maybe some TVP to sub for the meaty "body".

We make a vegetarian shepherds pie that subs tofu for ground meat. You first freeze the block of tofu, thaw it then crumble it, the texture becomes quite different has some chew to it, resistance to the tooth. Haven't tried extending this to a chili recipe but it might work. I've seen chili recipes using tempeh but again haven't tried any of them.
+1 ... I substitute Extra-Firm Tofu for ground beef, and I substitute cheesy Alfredo sauce for the tomato sauce. I put in Garbanzo in place of Kidney beans.

Use any cooking method you prefer ... slow cooker, CI-skillet, pressure cooker, microwave, etc.

This produces a concoction I call "White Chili" ... you have to taste it to appreciate how good it really is.

You can also include bulgur wheat (cracked wheat), which cooks up with a good texture that very loosely approximates cooked ground meat.

Top Bottom