What's new

Post Your Catch

Went back to the same stream and found a few more small stream jewels.

20170401_125328.jpg

20170401_125311.jpg

Caught these yesterday on soft plastics at a
IMG_1210.JPG
local beach (about 10 min drive from my house) .. 3 yellow fin whiting on the left, Tommy rough (Australian herring... nb: not a 'true' herring) in the middle and Australian salmon (no: not a 'true' salmon) on the right.

Interesting to see what you catch down under.
Thanks Jim.. these are some of my other favourite fish to catch
IMG_0877.JPG
Southern blue spot flathead (again nothing like the flathead catfish you guys call flathead) .. these are great eating in the 14-18" size.. any bigger than this are breeding females so I put those back)
IMG_0673.JPG

The long fish are what we call "Snook"... basically a salt water pike (Short finned sea pike). Good eating when fresh (legal minimum size here is 45 cm (18")....the top one is 81 cm). The smaller fish are more Tommy Roughs (my wife's favourite fish to eat). All of them caught on soft plastic lures within 30 min drive from home.

This is what a snook looks like in the U.S.
proxy.php

The Tommy Roughs look a lot like our herring.

proxy.php

The herring are small - but the pic is large.

That's a practically perfect piscatorial pictorial, Brett. Looks tasty.
Cheers BSAGuy. There were definitely some great meals amongst that lot. I'm very lucky to live in an area with such an abundance of seafood.. we also have ready access to scallops, king prawns, abalone, blue swimmer crab, southern calamari, oysters,and mussels.. and in an environment conducive to going out and catching them most of the year. (Although not abalone, I let others do that ... too many Great whites in these waters for me to enjoy diving).

Here's some blue swimmer crabs and scallops I managed to pick up wading in the shallows earlier in the year.
IMG_0689.JPG

And some of the beautiful coastline that I'm lucky enough to fish.
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG

This is what a snook looks like in the U.S.
proxy.php

The Tommy Roughs look a lot like our herring.

proxy.php

The herring are small - but the pic is large.
Wow those snook look like an interesting fish.. are they good to eat? Our herring grow to about 12" and plentiful so do not have a minimum size limit .. usually I only keep them if they're bigger than about 9" because smaller than that isn't really worth cleaning them.

Wow those snook look like an interesting fish.. are they good to eat? Our herring grow to about 12" and plentiful so do not have a minimum size limit .. usually I only keep them if they're bigger than about 9" because smaller than that isn't really worth cleaning them.
In FL when I lived there the size to keep a snook was in between 28 to 33 inches. FL has a slot limit for snook. The fish is excellent to eat and puts up a great fight when hooked.

My wife and daughter with the first catch of the year. I have no clue what it is, I'm sure you gentlemen will be able to identify it.

Caught on a top water bait

Attachments

• IMG_2567.JPG
    IMG_2567.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Top Bottom