What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

Here's a cute little 18mm Duke that Rudy made with the lime. Looks great. Thanks!

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, All:

First post. I contacted Rudy about making me a brush last night, got an email early this morning, and had a photo of the finished article by around 4pm. I can't wait to see this in person. It's a Chubby 2 in Disco with a TGN knot. 27mm knot with a 50mm loft. As soon as my shaving fund replenishes, I'll be ordering another in a different handle shape for some more variety.

image001.jpg

Bo

More Rudy eye candy. I had a Shavemac knot that came apart and they replaced it for me. New knot is just as good as the original. Now I've got the papa brush, the mama brush, and the baby brush. I may need one more to complete the set!

proxy.php

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Got delivery of Manchurian White - Two-band Fans - 22, 24, 26 and 28 mm knots. Should have a picture up by mid-week.

Rudy Vey

As promised, here are the pictures of the knots. The first shows the 28 mm on the left, the 26 on the right side. Second picture the 24 mm on the left, and the 22 mm on the right side of the picture.
These are the "nominal" sizes of the knots, the effective size, i.e. the size at exit from the handle is approx 2 mm more, if set at a very short loft, maybe even 3 mm.

IMG_3788.JPG
IMG_3789.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3789.JPG
    IMG_3789.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 29
How do those compare with shavemac two band silvertip? Are those fans or hybrids?

Rudy Vey

How do those compare with shavemac two band silvertip? Are those fans or hybrids?

These are fans, most of my brushes are made with fans, so I did not order any bulbs (maybe if there is interest in bulbs, the next order could have some bulbs in it). I have not tested this batch, but from another one I use, I would say quite close.

Great work Rudy! Coming my way with AP ShaveCo Tuxedo 24mm knot. Loft set at 54mm. Can't wait to give it a spin.

proxy.php

These are fans, most of my brushes are made with fans, so I did not order any bulbs (maybe if there is interest in bulbs, the next order could have some bulbs in it). I have not tested this batch, but from another one I use, I would say quite close.

Rudy, are just the knots for sale?

Rudy Vey

Just to let you know we are going on vacation from the 11.-22. of June.
Probably very limited access to email, but if I can, I answer all emails within a day or two.

Hi Rudy, enjoy your vacation.
Here the two antlers which you turned and drilled and I attacked afterwards with a belt sander to give then some more character on the surface. They both use Machurian 2-band fans, 26mm:

full

Rudy Vey

Hi Rudy, enjoy your vacation.
Here the two antlers which you turned and drilled and I attacked afterwards with a belt sander to give then some more character on the surface. They both use Machurian 2-band fans, 26mm:

full
Are both these knots from my new Manchurian two-bands?? How do you like them so far?
Post a little review here if you can.

Are both these knots from my new Manchurian two-bands?? How do you like them so far?
Post a little review here if you can.

Hello Rudy,
the 2 antler brushes are with the 2 band knots from your large plastic box. If these are the Manchurian 2 bands, then well they are from the looks very close to the Shavemac you set into the previous very heavy antler piece. I guess that's a silvertip 2-band?
The new Manchurian 2-bands had some serious animalic /urine funk once wet, holy :censored: badger!
The tips are pretty soft and in dry state these brushes have some serious backbone ... but similar to the more than 2x expensive Shavemac, they get significantly softer once wet and I don't soak the brushes at all. I have only used them once each, so "final" verdict will take quite a while. They are part of my rotation now.
If you look for substantial backbone the "lowly" TGN finest is hard to beat. Also when wet and loaded with lather the TGN has more stamina than the Manchurian or the Shavemac 2 band. The Shavemacs most likely will deliver the more consistent quality, whereas with the others you would need to cherry pick the best individuals. And the Shavemanc has the softest tips, no doubt.

Rudy Vey

Some customer feedback from the last weeks:

"Rudy--I used the brush for the first time this morning--if I could have only one brush--yours would be it! Love the look, love the knot--thank you so much!
Yours,
Scott"

"Hello Rudy.
Received my brush and am well pleased. Already used it! You did a really nice job.
Looking forward to doing more business with you.
Welcome shave soap sample also.
Again, THANK YOU!!
Ron."

"Rudy,

I received the brush yesterday. Thank you, brush looks even better in person. I'm still interested on a second brush."

Rudy Vey

Real Ivory?? Real??
Or not?? In the past have made my share of real pre-ban ivory brushes. Ivory is such a classic material for shaving brush handles.
But I have not made an ivory brush for many years; mainly because of the unclear law situations.
Finally a new imitation ivory material was developed which looks, feel and can be worked (turned, sanded and polished) like real ivory. Even the typical markings are found in the material. It has the same feel and approx weight of real ivory. I just received my first samples Friday and made a classic Persian Jar today from it (knot is a two-band Manchurian White, 24x48 mm). Check it out:
the first two pictures show the new material, the last one is from the past and shows the bottom end of an ivory brush. If someone is interested in this brush, or something different made with the new "real" imitation ivory, contact me:

[email protected]

IMG_4083.JPG
IMG_4084.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG

Top Bottom