What's new

Need some help.

I was looking around at some fo the antique places when I went home and found two straight razors that the guy was selling for $12 total. I don't know if they are a good brand or anything since I have been using strictly DE's for a while now. The scales are broken and I almost didn't buy them because of that but figured for $12 why not. I am interested in using them so can anyone give me tips on restoring the blade and tell me what I need to do to get these rescaled and honed. Also can someone tell me what I have, and if they are any good? Pics attached.

Wolstenholm Peerless

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Griffon "Carbo Magnetic"

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Geo. Wolstenholm pipe trademark is an outstanding blade. One of my favorites. I have heard of the Griffon but never used one so I can't comment on it. There are several people on the site that rescale and restore blades. Maybe one will chime in. I think you paid a little too much for blades with broken scales, but it looks like you have a very restoreable razor.

I am going to try to restore the blades my self what grits or progression should I use. So who would I contact about getting new scales and the blade restored (if I can't get it) and honed?

In the honing forum there is a list of honemeisters at least 3 also do restorations and could re-scale those with any pretty much standard scales, if you want more elaborate scales check out SRP as there are several there who do custom work

if you are going to try to restore them yourself and have never done any before Bill Ellis sells a cd that covers some of the basics

I am going to do some restoring on these blades, however what will happen to the etching? Will it become less visible (will I remove the blacker part of the etching) is there anyway to restore the etching?

At the moment I have 220, 320 and 400 grit sandpaper and was going to buy 600 800 and either 1000 or 1500 tonight. Should I use a dremmel to buff the razor with MAAS?

if you use maas or similar on it most likely the etching will be wiped away, you can try working around it with q-tips but that one razor has a lot and would be rather impossible

Top Bottom