What's new

So I finally got to smell Clubman for the first time on Monday.

I used Clubman this morning after a nice Cella shave. I still catch just the slightest whiff of it if I put my hand over my face. Honestly, I wasn't sure about how I felt about it the very first time I tried it, but I quickly came to love it. When I got it, I think it was around May or June so I associate the scent with warm pleasant weather and being outdoors.

To a generation of men born up through 1970 (and possibly 1980) Pinaud Clubman is the scent of visiting a barber shop and getting a nice, clean haircut finished off with some Pinaud Clubman talc. At least that's what it means to me.

For the price, give it try! My humble opinion? Buy Pinaud Clubman, Special Reserve & the Virgin Island Bay Rum. You won't regret it. Not sure what the prices are but in my neck of the woods in Long Island, NY I can purchase all 3 of them for less than $20 at Walgreens. The original is available in stores but the other 2 can be ordered online and delivered to my local Walmart for pickup at no extra charge.

Bingo. This is what it is for us older guys - a memory associated with the past that stirs a fond nostalgia. I was born in the early 60's and remember those barber shop trips with my Dad. I remembered the Clubman scent immediately when I smelled it for the first time in decades. I just didn't know what the name of the product was.

To a generation of men born up through 1970 (and possibly 1980) Pinaud Clubman is the scent of visiting a barber shop and getting a nice, clean haircut finished off with some Pinaud Clubman talc. At least that's what it means to me.

The one and only pleasant thing about getting a haircut was getting the Clubman talc dusted on the back of my neck. It felt great and smelled good too.

In certain parts of the country in the 50s and 60s the smell of a barber shop was the scent of Clubman talc. Even though they're fast disappearing, it's still a pretty reliable way of knowing you've found a good barbershop.

Sniffing a bottle of Clubman in a beauty supply store isn't experiencing it. Slapping a palm full on your face after a shave. THAT'S the Clubman experience.

+1! And I predict that the more you use it the more you will like Clubman! This is a true clacssic IMO! :thumbup1:

I first tried Clubman about six months ago and really like it. Better yet SWMBO likes it. :thumbup1:

What I've tried and didn't like was Aqua Velva. Wife likes it, but not me. Mature sent alright; like a geriatric home. :lol:

Last edited:

For the price, give it try! My humble opinion? Buy Pinaud Clubman, Special Reserve & the Virgin Island Bay Rum. You won't regret it. Not sure what the prices are but in my neck of the woods in Long Island, NY I can purchase all 3 of them for less than $20 at Walgreens. The original is available in stores but the other 2 can be ordered online and delivered to my local Walmart for pickup at no extra charge.
I am in my mid 20s and remember my mother taking me to an old barber in the small town I grew up in. The old style barber chair with the big lever and all the old men sitting around shooting the crap. The town I currently live in just had a barber shop open up with the old style vintage look to it. The first cut I got there the barber used the clubman talc and it gave me that same smell I remembered as a kid. The new barber shop also does straight razor shaves as well. It is amazing! He is actually the one that got me into DE wetshaving.

And just last night I found out that a chain called Sally Beauty Supply has a location in town that's not far from me at all, and it sells Clubman.

And just last night I found out that a chain called Sally Beauty Supply has a location in town that's not far from me at all, and it sells Clubman.

Does that mean you are going to buy some? Great.

I'm lucky enough to have a brick and mortar barber supply store near me. I recently picked up a bottle, the Country Club size:

$Clubman aftershave.jpg
Going to decant some tonight.

I opened the Pinaud bottle and gave it a sniff....

REALLY?

That's what all the fuss is about?

Ok, so I'm being a little cheeky, but it just wasn't what I was expecting at all. I'm not quite sure what the appeal is with it. Maybe I could learn to appreciate it, and maybe I'll even try a bottle for the sake of a few bucks, but it just wasn't what I thought it would be.

It wasn't what I thought it would be either. Many are nostalgic about it stating that it reminds them of a barber shop. I don't really get that, apparently it's never been used at any barber shop that I've been to because I don't make that association. Several of them used a nice smelling talc but I don't relate that to the scent of Clubman.

I for one, wanted to but couldn't learn to appreciate it. After reading endless raves about it here, I put it on my Christmas list one year and got a bottle. After slapping some on my reaction was like yours..... REALLY? This is what everyone is fussing about? The stench cloud was overwhelming. With everyone speaking of it with such a rich sense of tradition and nostalgia, I really wanted to like it so I gave it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. chance. I kept asking myself, "Do I like this?" Through the din of self-denial, I kept hearing a voice saying, "No!". Now I actually could kind of understand what people like about this scent. I actually liked it after about 5 hours but it wasn't even remotely worth suffering the first 5 hours to get there. When I was honest with myself, I didn't like it, my wife didn't like it, my daughters didn't like it so I traded it away, never to look its way again. I do very much like Pinaud Citrus Musk though.

It wasn't what I thought it would be either. Many are nostalgic about it stating that it reminds them of a barber shop. I don't really get that, apparently it's never been used at any barber shop that I've been to because I don't make that association. Several of them used a nice smelling talc but I don't relate that to the scent of Clubman.

I for one, wanted to but couldn't learn to appreciate it. After reading endless raves about it here, I put it on my Christmas list one year and got a bottle. After slapping some on my reaction was like yours..... REALLY? This is what everyone is fussing about? The stench cloud was overwhelming. With everyone speaking of it with such a rich sense of tradition and nostalgia, I really wanted to like it so I gave it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. chance. I kept asking myself, "Do I like this?" Through the din of self-denial, I kept hearing a voice saying, "No!". Now I actually could kind of understand what people like about this scent. I actually liked it after about 5 hours but it wasn't even remotely worth suffering the first 5 hours to get there. When I was honest with myself, I didn't like it, my wife didn't like it, my daughters didn't like it so I traded it away, never to look its way again. I do very much like Pinaud Citrus Musk though.

Yeah....

I will say this though,

I'm usually in Toronto once a week and found a brick and mortar store that sells many of the artisan shaving supplies everyone on here raves about and uses. Long before I smelled Clubman, I wandered in there and smelled many of the artisan shaving soaps and creams they have there as testers and was really taken aback by the way they smelled. They weren't what I was expecting at all. A lot of them had, what I can best describe, as an almost incense kind of smell to them. If that is what 'classic' is, then so be it. I was just really shocked and by the way they smelled because it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

Moving forward, when I smelled Clubman earlier this week, it was a very similar smell to those shaving soaps, so maybe that's what the modern day soap makers are going for? Maybe I just have to get used to it, but it's not what I thought neither those soaps or Clubman would smell like, but they definitely had a very similar scent profile.

We don't have an actual barbershop here in town so I've been going to a friends salon for the last 4yrs but she just sold her shop a month ago and has forced me to find some place new. Well, I remembered one town over there was still a barbershop from when I was little and went in last week for the 1st time in over 40yrs... Low and behold he used Clubman talc, but what amazed me most was the clean up around my ears and neckline he did with a straight razor and not electric clippers like most use today. I was blown away and most definitely will be going back more often than when I would go to the salon. Not to mention I saved $10 on the cut as well. Just a total win win!!!:thumbup:

We don't have an actual barbershop here in town so I've been going to a friends salon for the last 4yrs but she just sold her shop a month ago and has forced me to find some place new. Well, I remembered one town over there was still a barbershop from when I was little and went in last week for the 1st time in over 40yrs... Low and behold he used Clubman talc, but what amazed me most was the clean up around my ears and neckline he did with a straight razor and not electric clippers like most use today. I was blown away and most definitely will be going back more often than when I would go to the salon. Not to mention I saved $10 on the cut as well. Just a total win win!!!:thumbup:

WOW!!! Totally excellent!! :thumbup:

To get the best out of it you need to decant it into a glass bottle as it gets a plastic skunk to it and the glass bottle will help no end let it sit for a few days open the top to let it breath then close it give a shake open again then let it sit for a few day then try the sniff test and you will notice the change and the longer it sits in glass the better it gets

I hated it at first... Once I actually used it, it's become one of my favorite aftershaves! Plus, the availability, and price... tough to beat!

Clubman original and vanilla are my favorites. I like the pink musk as well for a change.

The clubmm special reserve is putrid and smells like sour pickle juice ..when i first used it i washed my face 10 minutes later. Also the clubman virgin island bay rum was also sour smelling to me and i gave it to my barber. When it comes to bay rum stephens and gabels are the best. Powdery scents, sweet not sour..

Top Bottom