What's new

Williams Institute for Shaving Excellence (WISE)

OK guys I'm fully on board now. Until this morning I had trouble getting a good lather. I won't bore you with the details of that. Anyway, I had a little extra time this morning so I got out my well-soaked puck and immersed it while I showered. Drained it, scraped the puck on my face like a stick then loaded my brush (Burma Shave, $4.45+tax, awesome boar) for about 45 seconds. Bowl lathered and didn't stint on the water. It was a GREAT lather! Usually when I tried Williams I got a thin lather that faded before I could complete a pass. But this time I guess I got enough hydration and loading that it was just awesome. I totally get it now. And it's a buck. Amazing. Anyway, Williams, cheap brush, Merkur 34c...two passes and a touch up and I got a terrific shave. Finished with AV Ice Blue and had great morning.
WISE indeed.
Cheers!

Last edited:
As per @rockviper in post #127 in the Let's all "3017" a puck of Williams together.starts Nov.01 (FYI this was 11-1-2014)

The Williams mixtures that were used were:
Formulae
Amped Willie ..... - Nivea Energy
Blue Willy ......... - Aqua Velva
Brutish Willy ...... - Brut
Club Willy ......... - Clubman
Heartbeat Willy . - Adidas Pulse
Old Willy .......... - Old Spice
Plain Willy ........ - Williams, just good ol' plain simple Williams
Skinny Willy ..... - Skin Bracer
Vegan Willy ...... - Lilac Vegetal!
Willy Noir ......... - Encre Noir

I'm sure there are many more that have been done before and since then.

Has anyone tried this blend?

Kiss My Willy......... - Kiss My Face

Looks like a puck of Williams will last me a month, give or take a bit, so I will need to buy a couple more next time I go shopping. Will use a different mug, too -- the old coffee cup I was using is too deep, I keep banging my fingers on the lip. I'll use the Van Der Hagen mug in the future, minus the soap, I don't like the scent particularly.

Peter

I had a great one today whit Williams(modern), my Equinox full DE shavette, my Omega boar brush and to finish off whit Aqua Velva Classic Blue. Just a very close and smooth shave.

Used TheVez2's technique for making face lather with Williams today, and boy, was it nice! Used distilled water, will try with tap water tomorrow.

Much LESS product, nice thick lather that held for the entire shave, nice one pass and cleanup DFS too, with a Dorco ST 301.

Bet my soap lasts longer than a month, too!

Peter

Geneva cutelry 6/8 straight whit my Omega Boar brush, Williams mug(modern) and Aqua Velva Blue Sport. Just a great shave and still great results, great lather and marvelous post shave. My 6/8 was very sharp and very comfy.

I've gotten into the habit, after completing the first and second passes, of spreading some of the lather from the sink over my face before re-applying the next coat with the brush.

The well-known slickness of Williams makes this enjoyable.

I bought three pucks of Williams recently since I erroneously heard the soap was being discontinued, and can't wait to try it. The scent is a little strong, so I'll probably soak it in boiling water like I've read about on here. I've never seen the soap in my area, so I resorted to buying it online to try out. Unfortunately, I'm waiting on a mug to arrive for me to try the Williams out.

Last edited:
The more I use it the more I like it. It works fine for me with just some water splashed on it while I shower with a brush soaking in a separate container. Really don't even have to soak a badger, but you should if you use a boar as the bristles absorb quite a bit of water in a boar brush.

Dump off any free water from the soap, load for 30 sec or so with a damp brush, face lather adding water a bit at a time until you get good lather, shave.

Have had the best two shaves of my life the last two days with Williams....

Peter

My current puck is just getting to the translucent stage at the center. I think one more good lathering and it will be a ring. Maybe even after one more quick soak. It's served me well.

Does soaking Williams actually improve its latherability? Because normally I never soak or bloom my soaps, I might splash on a little bit of water as I'm loading a hard soap (like B&M), but that's about it. I know Williams is inexpensive, but I still feel the need to ask because it's an extra step.

[MENTION=102573]EternalBachelor[/MENTION] It seems is it some what of a YMMV, but most get better results with soaking a new puck and at least blooming it beforehand there after if it is used frequently.
I visited Soap Commander and he, Darren, told me his soaps were designed to be bloomed. That is brought out the fragrance in them.

Top Bottom