What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Shave #30 on the Astra SP, again in my new Merkur 38c, was really great. The dragging from yesterday was not there this time, although I did have to do a bit more buffing than usual. I am very happy with today's shave. The only thing that changed between yesterday and today was the day; same prep, same hardware, and same software. Perhaps it is because I was more familiar today with the 38c than I was yesterday? Perhaps my prep was better today than it was yesterday? I don't know, but today everything clicked and I got great results.

It is somewhat amazing that a shave this good came from a blade that has been in use for a month.

Very nice Doug! Starting with a new razor can be challenging, but sounds like the blade is still going strong. :thumbup1:
Keep up the good work!

I was chatting with the guys at work today during break, and one of them who started shaving with a straight razor and now uses a DE says he gets at least a year out of a packet of blades from the grocery (probably Personna Reds, ten to the package). Gotta be getting 30 shaves or more each, and he has a pretty thick wiry beard.

Little things make a difference, a better lather can take a shave from dragging to perfect I think.

Peter

Normally I get somewhere in the 30's of shaves with Astra SP's. Now I'm trying something a little different. I'm trying out my first Single Edge razors so I'm curious how long the Gem Stainless will last. I've got number 3 on my current blade and will be paying keen attention to it's performance. The interesting factor is that I have hardly any experience with SE's so after I get my technique down I'll have to try again and compare results. So far it's nice and sharp and seems like it will last a while.

G-bar, Gem Stainless, (3) Close and smooth but not perfect. Quality has actually been improving as I find my technique.

I'm trying out my first Single Edge razors so I'm curious how long the Gem Stainless will last.

I struggled with Gem SE shaving for years. I've improved a little since joining B&B, adding SE razors that perform better for me. But it wasn't until Single Edge September (SEptember) that I was able to see the results of my improving technique in the longevity of the Gem Stainless blade. Rode one to 11 shaves. A record for me.

Since yesterday's shave (#30) on the Astra SP was so good, it seemed like a good place to stop with that blade. Also, I was feeling the desire to try a few other things in my Merkur 38c, so the blade has been retired.

Today was shave #1 with a Treet Black carbon steel blade. It was a wonderful shave. We'll see how far I can take this one.

48-50 Aristocrat/Astra SP(20)

20 face and 20 head shaves on the blade. That's the equivalent to 60 face shaves for me. The blade has 1 or 2 shaves left on it.

Shave #14 on the Feather today met with quite a bit of irritation. Can't say whether it's the blade or the razor, which was not my usual 34C ('57 Flare Tip). Next shave will definitely be with the Merkur for comparison.

I struggled with Gem SE shaving for years. I've improved a little since joining B&B, adding SE razors that perform better for me. But it wasn't until Single Edge September (SEptember) that I was able to see the results of my improving technique in the longevity of the Gem Stainless blade. Rode one to 11 shaves. A record for me.

SEptember is a great idea. I've really found it useful to commit to using new equipment for an extended period. It really seems to help me get a feel for how to use it better. I'm pretty happy with how the blade is progressing for me. I'm on shave 6 still with a G-bar and the blade seems to have smoothed out quite a bit, but is still quite sharp. I'm not sure if the smoothing out is the blade settling in, or my touch getting better or perhaps a bit of both. I'm enjoying things though

Gem G-Bar, Gem Stainless (6)

Just a confirmation for new people reading this thread, technique really does make a difference in your shaves and in blade longevity. I shaved today with a Dorco ST 301, not a hugely popular blade here on B&B, shave #10 on the first edge. Very nice BBS except for a patch or two under my chin where I got the direction wrong, since shaving ATG first is normal for me. One pass and a bit of touchup is really nice, no irritation, quick, and quite a pleasure.

Got a few weepers that were my fault, I was using too much pressure and didn't back off fast enough, but they were not in the usual places (next to my moustache and under my left ear). Chin is perfect -- on one pass with a "dull" blade.

How one actually uses the razor makes a huge difference, and a nice clean, easy one pass shave is a delight. Wet lather helps enormously, too.

Since this Dorco feels just about the same as it did when I first put in on my SuperSpeed, it looks like it's going to make 30 shaves or so at this rate.

Happy shaving!

Peter

Last edited:
I retired a GEM SS PTFE after 32 shaves. I was a little disappointed. I was hoping to get at least 40, but I used it in my ER 1924 and there was a hint of irritation on my neck, so in the bin it went.

Well as of this morning I have a GSB @ 14, an Astra SP @ 11 and a 7am plus @ 5. The GSB is my Slim, the Astra in the Black Handle Super Speed and the 7am plus in my Flare Tip Super Speed.

Schick C-1 Repeater Chick (28)

Number 25 was great, 26 and 27 not so much. I was thinking it was done, but gave it one more shot. Today I spent an extra min or so on my lather, and it's great again. It's getting close to the end, but I think I'm going to get a whole month worth out of it.

Recently I switched from my Rockwell 6S back to my trusty Muhle R41 (2013). I've been getting smooth DFS+ (almost BBS, but with a bit of micro-stubble near my adam's apple) effortless shaves that I just wasn't getting out of the Rockwell. I'm currently up to shave #22 with a Rapira Stainless blade that leaves my skin as smooth as glass. It's good to be reacquainted with an old razor and blade combo that just works. That being said when using the Muhle R41 I use the steep angle, and still get a great number of shaves from a blade. This blade still has at least 10 more shaves on it, perhaps more.

Retired my first Feather ProGuard after 35 shaves.
For the last three shaves I needed a bit more buffing, today buffing didn't clean up the last bit of stubble.
Pretty good for my first experience with this blade, and I am sure I'll be able to push the next one a bit further.

Found out my brother is getting a month or more on a blade too, so it's not just my sparse beard (his is much denser and quite wiry). Up to 11 shaves on that Dorco and three each on a Dorco Prime, Polsilver, and Gillette Rubie. Will move the Prime to a different razor next week the Krona I have it in is just to mild for me with it, too much stubble even after three passes.

All of this on a single edge of each blade, too, so I'll not be changing one until January 1st at the earliest, and possibly much later.

Testing blades is pretty slow at this rate...

Peter

I'm loving this thread though I still have quite a bit of catch up. I posted a while back that I would make some effort in finding how many uses I could get from a blade, but I honestly wondered if I could do it. My technique was not great, but I couldn't see then how much room for improvement there was. I appreciate the candor on this site, because the emphasis is always on technique, not to say materials don't wear out, but given proper technique one can achieve higher numbers with a blade.

I have never been a shave every day guy, even when I worked regularly as a pilot, I let it go a day at least and would push sometimes to 3 days between shaves. I really hated it, and it killed my face. My goal when I switched from carts to the DE's was comfortable, smooth, daily shaves. It has taken me near 3 years to get to that point, but it was this thread that kept me aiming for that when the results weren't forthcoming. I kept wanting to think it was the blade, or my skin, or my hair, and not my skill, but I also kept thinking 'other people are doing this, maybe it is my technique, maybe I can be better.' I had an aha moment a few weeks ago reading this thread and really decided to push for daily shaves and do what it took to shave every day. I cut out touch ups as I felt it was leading to irritation and settled on two pass shaves. Initially I wasn't doing ATG, but WTG and XTG. Soon I felt I could do ATG in a couple places so started modifying XTG with ATG. Then I did a South North shave which is mostly W and A except for my neck below the jaw. That was very successful giving comfortable near smooth shaves. Today, I shaved ATG first pass with touchups which was mostly neck below the jaw and chin and received my closest, non-bloody, irritation free shave to date and it was shave no. 8 on my gem PTFE blade in my Gem Jr. Not that 8 is a particularly big number for the Gem blades, but I know I won't change it any time soon. I'm sure I will continue to get great shaves for some time.

This is a little long winded, but I will try to wrap it up as quickly as I can. I have 8 2 pass shaves and 10 rounds of touch ups on an Astra blade used exclusively in my Tech. The blade continues to cut close and comfortable. This is 3 more full shaves than I ever got on a razor before and the difference is clearly not the razor, but my technique. Something clicked to where I said OK, I need fewer strokes on my face, which means more effective cutting. I have read many threads where a certain blade, razor, or combo of the two, were not working, a lot of cuts and irritation, and the hardware is almost always at fault, and I am discovering that all the handles I already own(and thought maybe were just not right for me) are giving me smooth, irritation free shaves - regardless of the blade I am putting in. It is kind of a crazy paradigm shift for me.

Anyway, many thanks to the gentlemen of Excalibur(and B&B'ers in general), who searched for the mythic blade of many shaves and inspired me in my own quest for my Holy Grail of great daily shaves.

I learned the secret of the first pass being ATG many, many years ago with injector razors. I try to keep to two or one with touchups, never get irritation that way.

I do recommend very good beard prep before that first ATG pass, otherwise it can be rather uncomfortable, to say the least.

Got a very nice shave today at my Niece's in St. Louis, always dislike shaving in strange places, but it went well. No weepers, no nicks, nice and close. Used Derby shave cream instead of Williams, and I could tell, but got a nice shave anyway. Shave #14 on one edge of a Dorco ST 301.

You will improve once you figure out what you need to do to get a nice, comfortable, close shave on essentially one pass, as I believe this means you have learned the ideal way to shave your particular face. Good technique not only gives great comfortable shaves, but equally gives minimum blade wear, and hence, as Bosseb pointed out for me, long blade life.

For the first time in my life I look forward to shaving in the morning.

Happy Shaving!

Thanks, Pete and Cal.

With the ATG, and the beard prep, really with all of it, I am developing my feel which is really locking in. The feel of a clean pass vs too thin or too fat an angle, the feel of the lather when it provides just the right amount of tension for a given brush, the feel of my face in the shower when I know I can go shave or if I need a hot washcloth to be ready. I am learning about the feel of the blade, but seeing as how I am just coming to it, that represents the really new factor in all of this.

Maybe a lot of guys get this quickly or maybe not, I tend to think more than feel, and ironically, I kept looking for a specific protocol to help my technique. I thought if I could just read a certain set of instructions it would all make sense and I would do it, and get perfect shaves but it hasn't really worked that way. The instructions and feedback from group members helps, indubitably, but it still requires doing to understand and some amount of internalizing to really own a technique and for me, the feel of a technique. I got a slant recently and I could feel the tension in the metal against my cheek compared to my other DE's. The fact I could feel the tension directed my consciousness to something that prior to that, had remained in my sub-conscious for the most part, the feel of the blade. This, in turn, helped raise my awareness about angle and feel of the cut or pass.

Anyway, I am surprised at how much there is in this short ritual of self-care. I too, now look forward to my daily shave.

I'm still working on getting that first pass exactly right, I missed a couple places today, and swear the direction of growth on part of my face changes from day to day!

As I've said before, unless I shave ATG at some point I cannot get a decent shave, so I start with it now, have for years. Once I get all the direction stuff mapped out, I suspect I will be able to do a one pass and touchup DFS every day. Cuts down on blade and face wear.

Practice will give you the feel, only way to do it, and some of us take longer to get it right than others, me included.

Once I recovered the super light, quick strokes I used in the shower (they got lost in watching the razor) I started getting effortless, smooth, close and bloodless shaves. Quite nice.

Peter

Top Bottom