What's new

Straight Razor & Beards?

New to this forum so please forgive me if this topic has been covered already...

I've had a beard for years and plan on keeping it for years to come. Since 2012, I've been trimming around my beard with a simple long-handled Merkur 180. Works like a dream. Last week I purchased a Parker shavette to start learning how to straight razor around the beard. I know I'm 'cheating' having a beard - only have about 40% to actually shave (cheeks and neck), and I don't have to worry about the more difficult areas (upper lip by nose, lips, and chin).

Because of all of the great feedback about WhippedDog on this forum, I purchased a sight unseen flawed straight razor and poor man strop kit this morning. Excited to use an actual razor vs just a shavette.

It seems the majority on this forum shave their entire face. Are there any men out there who prefer to trim around their beard using a straight razor? If so, any specific tips you have about shaving around a beard?

I had to trim the length of my beard last night as I just couldn't see my neck area well enough to see what I was doing with the shavette. I've used the Merkur DE so much that I don't have to look at what I'm doing (I can FEEL where I am), if that makes sense - guessing a similar thing might happen after a few hundred uses of the straight razor.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Following this thread due to similar questions of my own. Though I've not even gone so far as to purchase a shavette yet.

I jse a straight and have had a beard sense 1985. I like to keep it very short so i trim the length weekly. I shave my cheeks and my neck as i dont like having my beard on my neck. I draw a line from bottom of ear lobe to the corner of my mouth and that is the amount of bread i have on cheeks. And i let beard grow down to about an inch below my jaw line. I hVe no problem using a straight but like i said, i keep it short. I gave up on growing one like The Beards on TV. Its all grey now and i think it look more clean when short. Now if you have a long beard i dont know why you would trim at all. Most guys that just let it grow dont trim. Hope this helps some.

I found that when I had a full beard that a straight razor was a great way to edge up the beard and get good clean straight lines.

My straight is a Whipped Dog Sight Unseen and I love it.

I'm brand new to all of this as well, so I'll be interested to hear what the pros have to say. I'm not entirely shaven.
I have a jack sparrow-ish thing going on and the hardest part is shaving near those areas because the hair changes direction. Finding the appropriate angle for my straight is a challenge when only wanting to carve out my desired look.

Good luck.

I use a straight, have a goatee and find the straight works great edging the darn thing. I'm sending you some information about SR shaving via PM, you should have no trouble, start slowly and pay attention to your technique, by keeping the razor angle low (the spine should be one or 2 spine widths above your skin, so it is a shallow cutting angle. Have fun with the straight, there is nothing a DE can do that a SR can't.

Received your PM, thanks for the collection of information. I truly appreciate it.

I keep a thin beard and only shave cheeks and neck. Straight razor is awesome for clean lines and a satisfying shave.

As long as you enjoy using a true SR you'll find that they can meet any kind of shaving, trimming, or lining needs. For instance a seasoned barber will use one for a broad range of applications.

As long as you enjoy using a true SR you'll find that they can meet any kind of shaving, trimming, or lining needs. For instance a seasoned barber will use one for a broad range of applications.
+1 SR are all purpose hair cutting tools. Your beard is going to look great! Just watch the blade length and remember to not use any pressure. Most shavettes are much lighter than SRs, and the additional blade length may take some time to get used to.

Top Bottom