What's new

Thought the blade was done after 6

Hi all,

Today I had my 7th shave on a Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless and I must say it was actually better than the 6th! It was almost BBS all over accept for the base of my neck where the hair growth starts, which is my toughest area, and bet little alum sting.

The only tugging I have had was on the 4th shave while going ATG on my mustache( been experimenting going ATG on some parts).

I know I can keep using this blade, but I must say it is getting a little more difficult to get that trunks trouble spot on my neck. I can still get a DFS in that spot though, hence my dilemma....do I stay with this blade, or go with a new one ?

I would like to join the Excalibur Club someday, but I do not think I'm quite there yet. But 7 shaves on one blade is pretty good. I would highly recommend everyone to read the Excalibur Club thread. So much useful information in that thread, it could be it's own Wiki [emoji5]

Today I also finished up a sample puck of Stirling MITA. All I can say about that soap is GET IT! Lol!

I have a half puck of Proraso White and was thinking about 3017'ing it.....I may keep using that blade with this soap and see how far I can COMFORTABLY Push this blade.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks all!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
The only tugging I have had was on the 4th shave while going ATG on my mustache( been experimenting going ATG on some parts).

I don't shave ATG in my mustache area. I shave only down in that area.

Go for it or you'll wonder about how long that blade might have lasted for a long time... that wondering and dreaming could cause a car accident or something.

Way back in Feb or Mar, I did a one month/one blade challenge. I got about 15 shaves out of the blade (wish I could remember the blade but I think it was a Gillette Rubie). Previously, I had tossed blades after 5-7 shaves. Now I've learned that I can get more out of blade and use it longer without waste.

I recently used a French Gillette Bleue Extra for 13 shaves...

Give it a shot.

Go for it or you'll wonder about how long that blade might have lasted for a long time... that wondering and dreaming could cause a car accident or something.

Way back in Feb or Mar, I did a one month/one blade challenge. I got about 15 shaves out of the blade (wish I could remember the blade but I think it was a Gillette Rubie). Previously, I had tossed blades after 5-7 shaves. Now I've learned that I can get more out of blade and use it longer without waste.

I recently used a French Gillette Bleue Extra for 13 shaves...

Give it a shot.
You make some very solid points.....I'd hate to be thinking about that while driving [emoji41]

Or something even more important .... like talking to your wife and being accused of not listening.... that could cause you bodily harm... :tongue_sm

I would recommend going for it.
Partly because you want to know how far you can go but mostly because it will make your technique develop,which will result in more comfortable shaves.

I would recommend going for it.
Partly because you want to know how far you can go but mostly because it will make your technique develop,which will result in more comfortable shaves.
Thanks for taking the time to rely. I've read your thread on your 128 shaves and the advice you have given in that thread, and others, has really helped me get better and more comfortable shaves, so thank you for helping out the community.

I have a question for you [MENTION=30982]bosseb[/MENTION], if you don't mind...I know you rotate many razors to "keep you on your toes" so to speak, but have you ever just tried to see how many shaves you could get with one blade, using just one razor?

And getting more comfortable shaves is really the point of the Excalibur Club, correct?

I think I will see how far I can go with this blade. Thanks again for your advice, it's very much appreciated

I am rather new to this forum and 86 years old so I have been wet shaving for a long time. Many years ago I bought
$20 worth of a new Schick disposable that I tried that cost 50 cents for a bag of 5. I loved those razors. One day I noticed that I had shaved for over 2 weeks with the same razor. I decided to keep going and see how far it could go. I shaved with that razor for 6 months and one day I noticed that it was struggling and realized its time was up. I saved those treasures just for the memory. With experience I learned to shave better; get DE blades that were outstanding; and acquired a group of favorite DE razors. When I went back and tried some of the old Schicks they were no better than modern disposables. It was the lost chord. Times change, so take advantage of your adventure.

Most guys here seem to get 4-5 shaves per blade, however, some get many more. Just keep going until that blade runs out.

Just finished getting 16 shaves out of a Feather in my Merkur 34C using Proraso cream.

I also wanted to see how far I could go. However, on the 16th shave the blade went downhill fast and I got a few nicks as a result.

Congrats!

Keep it rolling. I find some blades are starting to go downhill at 6, while others are just getting good.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am rather new to this forum and 86 years old so I have been wet shaving for a long time. Many years ago I bought
$20 worth of a new Schick disposable that I tried that cost 50 cents for a bag of 5. I loved those razors. One day I noticed that I had shaved for over 2 weeks with the same razor. I decided to keep going and see how far it could go. I shaved with that razor for 6 months and one day I noticed that it was struggling and realized its time was up. I saved those treasures just for the memory. With experience I learned to shave better; get DE blades that were outstanding; and acquired a group of favorite DE razors. When I went back and tried some of the old Schicks they were no better than modern disposables. It was the lost chord. Times change, so take advantage of your adventure.
Excellent advice!

Thanks for all of the advice....this is going to be fun seeing how far I can go with this blade. I can't wait until my next shave [emoji41]

Thanks for taking the time to rely. I've read your thread on your 128 shaves and the advice you have given in that thread, and others, has really helped me get better and more comfortable shaves, so thank you for helping out the community.

I have a question for you @bosseb, if you don't mind...I know you rotate many razors to "keep you on your toes" so to speak, but have you ever just tried to see how many shaves you could get with one blade, using just one razor?...
Actually I did use the one razor minimalist approach for 18 months in a row, with the Feather AS-D1, when it was released in 2010.
I did initially manage to get about 35 good shaves (5 weeks) from my then go to blade the Yellow 7 o'clock Gillette. After a while I could only get 4 weeks (28 shaves) and then 3 weeks out of a blade. I mistook this for an age related change in my skin - in reality the razor had caused my technique to deteriorate to the degree that I could not use my go to blade any more. I was able to use the Feather with different blades for about 3 weeks shortly after this

I have since the taken the Shark SS to 28 shaves in both my Aristocrat #16 and in the '34 too.

The above experience with the Feather led me into using different razors one week at a time. I have not however tried the Yellow Gillette since those days - mainly because I PIFed all my Yellow blades after this incident.

Actually I did use the one razor minimalist approach for 18 months in a row, with the Feather AS-D1, when it was released in 2010.
I did initially manage to get about 35 good shaves (5 weeks) from my then go to blade the Yellow 7 o'clock Gillette. After a while I could only get 4 weeks (28 shaves) and then 3 weeks out of a blade. I mistook this for an age related change in my skin - in reality the razor had caused my technique to deteriorate to the degree that I could not use my go to blade any more. I was able to use the Feather with different blades for about 3 weeks shortly after this

I have since the taken the Shark SS to 28 shaves in both my Aristocrat #16 and in the '34 too.

The above experience with the Feather led me into using different razors one week at a time. I have not however tried the Yellow Gillette since those days - mainly because I PIFed all my Yellow blades after this incident.
Thanks for sharing this, that's very interesting.

You think an adjustable razor could prolong a blades life by increasing the aggressiveness periodically?

Sounds like you are doing great! :thumbup:

I routinely get 7 or more shaves with these blades. But you should check the Excalibur thread for the real experts in longevity!

Top Bottom