What's new

Newbie confession

when I first started wet-shaving I watched YouTube videos showing people making huge mounds of lather easily with Proraso Shave Soap and I simply could not do it. I had wrongfully attributed my failure to my inferior $10 boar shave brush, so the hunt for the perfect brush began which resulted in buying 4 Simpson brushes and I still couldn't lather well. Fast forward one year of learning and I can now produce mounds of Proraso using my original $10 brush which I believed was the problem.... now I am intrigued by your comments redundant and overkill .... what am I doing wrong ... any help would be appreciated ..... thanks

My wife has given up. He says as long as my supply is not on the counter it is OK. So, I have two vanity drawers filled to capacity along with storage under my sink and finally some extra soaps and creams stashed under workout equipment. When she spotted the soaps she asked if I was trying to hide them in those plastic storage bins. I said no, I just store them there so my workout clothing smells better. :001_rolle

Honestly, as far as secret habits that people hide from their partners go, shaving stuff is probably one of the least serious. Less expensive than drugs, less of a personal betrayal than cheating, and less likely to expose them to disease than either. Just go with that as your second line of defence.

I concur absolutely with the above statement, while still cheaper than drugs have you priced the latest Castle & Forbes aftershaves lately?
there is really not that much of a dollar gap between the two ....

I am wondering, would you consider a Junichi Tanaka Artisanal Shaving Scuttle a must have for a beginners shave arsenal? I am leaning toward the yes side ... I mean at a hundred and fifteen bucks they're practically giving it away.... and don't forget it is built using special Alberta sourced clay .... I mean really, how could you say no to that ....

My wife has given up. He says as long as my supply is not on the counter it is OK. So, I have two vanity drawers filled to capacity along with storage under my sink and finally some extra soaps and creams stashed under workout equipment. When she spotted the soaps she asked if I was trying to hide them in those plastic storage bins. I said no, I just store them there so my workout clothing smells better. :001_rolle

You mean she :laugh:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My wife totally supports my "wet shaving habit" and is always happy for me when I buy something new and am excited to show her. No need to hide anything from her --- in fact, she's given me some really nice trays and baskets to keep my stash ! After twenty years of marriage, we're happy for each other in so many different ways, and she thinks my shaving habit is "actually pretty cool ..." And no matter what, she'll always have tons more make-up and cosmetics stuff than I'll ever have with my shaving gear !

Last edited:
Just remember what Freewheelin' Franklin sez:
"Blades will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no blades."
Or, well, something similar.
$flat,800x800,070,f.jpg
(Did I just date myself?)

SWMBO solved my problem... she now DE shave as well. Blades will now only last half as long... a couple of years worth and declining.

Top Bottom