What's new

Feather AS-D2 or ATT M1

So I'm wanting to pick up another safety razor and I tend to like mild shavers . I have read many good reviews about each razor but not sure which one would fit me best . Now I know the logical answer is just buy both but for now I'm just in the market for one of them . Amy opinions or feed back would be much appreciated .

The easy solution would be to buy both, as you really can't go wrong with either of them, but they are pretty pricy, and if I had to pick one, I would definitely go with the ATT. It leaves you much more choice in the future if you want to switch to a more aggressive shave (R1/R2, H1/H2) or a slant (S1/S2). With the AS-D2, you're limited to a mild razor, and it's way milder than the ATT M1. The ATT is also machined 303 bare steel instead of chrome-plated MIM/sintered steel, which should technically be more durable. The finish on the ATT is amazing and it feels in every way superior to the AS-D2 when you look at it and handle it.

I have them both and I would recommend the AS-D2 if you are only going to get one, but they are both good my only complaint with the ATT is that the plate is so thick that it can be hard to clear and is often gummed up with lather. The AS-D2 is so smooth that I almost don't have to pay attention when shaving with it, I can't do this with the ATT it is just as efficient but you need to pay attention more for sure.

I have the 7-piece set and the fact that the R plate is easier to clear I choose it over the M plate 9 times of 10 and I choose the H plate about twice as often as the M.

So I'm wanting to pick up another safety razor and I tend to like mild shavers . I have read many good reviews about each razor but not sure which one would fit me best . Now I know the logical answer is just buy both but for now I'm just in the market for one of them . Amy opinions or feed back would be much appreciated .

What mild razors do you currently have?

I owned them both at the same time and sold them both. I would get the ASD2. The ASD2 is basically a clone of a Postwar Tech, which is one of my favorite razors. If I were to drop that kind of money again, it would definitely be the ASD2.

If you don't have a problem with vintage razors, try a Postwar Tech, it will give a feel of how the ASD2 shaves. A good one can be found for under $20.

This is definitely one of those instances where YMMV. I've owned both razors, and for me, I enjoy the the ATT M1 much more. After spending so much money on it, I really, really wanted to love the Feather AS-D2, but it just didn't work well for me. I found it so mild that I didn't enjoy using it. Before I bought it, I read many reviews that said the Feather was mild and efficient, but that was not my experience (maybe it's my technique, maybe my coarse facial hair or maybe a combination of both). I found the razor mild but not at all efficient. The Feather AS-D2 is a beautifully constructed razor. But for my money, I prefer ATT's more utilitarian stainless steel look and feel. The ATT M1 is reasonably mild, but it's much more aggressive than the Feather AS-D2 (on an aggressiveness scale of 1-10, I'd probably give the Feather AS-D2 a 1 or a 1.5 and the ATT M1 a 3.5 or so).

Ah correct me if I'm wrong but one of the +'s for the AS-D2 is it covers the ends of the blades while the AtT leaves them exposed. It's a small safety / awareness issue but it is such and can be a frustrating inconvenience. As to performance, the AS-D2 is quicker to DFS and can do a 12 hour BBS. Maybe even an 18 to 24 hr BBS with some serious practical pressure training. The AtT will have a bit of a learning curve (at least it did for me) but because of that end up being the source of satisfied earned mastery later on.

Two great razors (although I have no experience of the M1 as I have an R2, S1, S2 and SE1). The finish of the two razors are different with the ATT being more "agricultural" (that is not an criticism, it just shows the ATTs are made by craftsmen who take a pride in their work). The finish of the AS-D2 is superior because of the plating, but not everyone likes that. Another advantage of the plating is that it cannot rust whereas 303 steel can, that said, normal care will prevent rust building up. The thing that a lot of people don't realise is the different angle needed to shave with the AS-D2, this is because the blade is held almost flat rather than the more normal curve of DE razors. I can get a BBS shave with both my AS-D2 and my R2, this with two passes (except for my left jaw line which requires an extra pass). You won't go far wrong with either razor and both will outlast you. Enjoy whichever one you choose.

Considering I use the M2 as my daily driver, I would recommend the ATT M1 over the feather.

You also might want to consider the new muhle razor coming out soon. I believe its a stainless steel head and rumoured to be as mild as the AS-D2. Probably cheaper than both as well. Muhle/Edwin 89 series head was a big winner in design, so I'd imagine muhle's newest offering to also be a stellar mild razor head.

Last edited:
I might be the only person in the world, but I get irritation from my AS D2. My ATT M1 does not quite get the job done and the teeth on the M2 bother me. The best and most comfortable shave I get from an ATT is with the S1 plate & cap. If you bought the M1 and decided within 30 days it wasn't for you then you could exchange it for another plate & cap.
Whatever, I hope you find what you want. Best regards,
Ron I

I did have the Feather AS-D2 at one time, but I sold it. I found it too mild and I did not like the handle length. I also got some irritation with it because I couldn't feel the blade and I got careless. I currently use an ATT M2 with the Atlas handle and I love it. I even use it more than my Wolfman. I assume the M1 provides a similar shave the the M2. I find it to be more efficient than my Merkur was, but it's only slightly more aggressive. I have very sensitive skin and I'm able to get an irritation free shave with the M2.

The Feather AS-D2 has been my first and only DE razor, (using Feather blades), so I have nothing to compare it to… aside from a cartridge-razor. Now that I’ve figured out how to use it, there’s nothing else I feel that I will need. I’m able to get consistent BBS shaves with two-passes and touch-ups along my chin and jaw-line. The hair on my face is like wire – course and thick.

It’s mild and forgiving using generic techniques, and that has been a good thing being new to wet-shaving. It can be as aggressive as you want it to be with a combination of minor angle adjustments and incremental pressure. Once mastered, it becomes second-nature to adjust on-the-fly to compensate.

No, there aren’t any factory-supplied options for the Feather AS-D2 like the Above the Tie selection. Although, the iKon B1 Open-Comb Deluxe Base Plate will work just fine and increase the aggressiveness, many here on the forums cringe at the mention of that particular brand. To each his own.

Personally, I love everything about the Feather AS-D2. The design and shape of the head. The “grippy” handle. The overall construction and tight tolerances. Although an expensive investment, it’s a very quality stainless razor that I find both handsome and effective for the needs to remove hair from my face. As always… your mileage may vary.

Either razor will do the job for you just fine. The only constant I can confirm is ~ everyone has a preference and opinion… and, no two are exactly the same. Good luck with either selection you choose.

Happy shaving!

I did have the Feather AS-D2 at one time, but I sold it. I found it too mild and I did not like the handle length. I also got some irritation with it because I couldn't feel the blade and I got careless. I currently use an ATT M2 with the Atlas handle and I love it. I even use it more than my Wolfman. I assume the M1 provides a similar shave the the M2. I find it to be more efficient than my Merkur was, but it's only slightly more aggressive. I have very sensitive skin and I'm able to get an irritation free shave with the M2.
Interesting. Maybe I've used the wrong angle and positioning when using the M2 plate, and have caused the teeth to irritate my face. You've given me cause to give it another shot; thanks. That aside, I find the M2 much more effective for taking off beard than the M1 plate is. An ATT, open comb, head on an Atlas handle is one impressive razor.

Ron I

Interesting. Maybe I've used the wrong angle and positioning when using the M2 plate, and have caused the teeth to irritate my face. You've given me cause to give it another shot; thanks. That aside, I find the M2 much more effective for taking off beard than the M1 plate is. An ATT, open comb, head on an Atlas handle is one impressive razor.

Ron I
I don't even notice the teeth, but I have read that complaint from others. Not just the ATT, but other open combs as well. We probably use different angles. I put the cap on my face and lower the handle until I feel the blade catch. I adjust from there as needed.

....Another advantage of the plating is that it cannot rust whereas 303 steel can, that said, normal care will prevent rust building up.

While I am not countering the comment, (any iron based material can oxidize under the right conditions), in two years I've had not a blemish on my ATT (Kronos, M1-R1). Hot water rinse only, dry tissue wipe between blade changes. It looks like the day I received it.

I am currently shaving with a Merkur 34c . I love the razor , super mild and effortless shaves .
Try a prewar Gillette Tech before you plunk down the $$$ money on an expensive razor. I just did that myself thinking I could always go Feather AS-D2 later as the mild end post as it were. Still waiting for my first shave with the Tech.

Go with the Feather. I had both but did not like the ATT with the small post to line the blade up. I like the blade posts on the feather. Also if you want to venture into more aggressive the ikon DLC/B1 will work.
proxy.php

Can pickup BLEM plates for $20 direct

Top Bottom