What's new

Why would i want a stainless steel razor?

I hear what you're saying, but in the case of the feather, it has a beautiful matte finish, and the chrome playing will likely make it a lot less likely to get corrosion or even tea stains. Remember that stainless steel was named that because it stained "less" than carbon steel, not because it didn't stain at all.

I hear what you're saying, but in the case of the feather, it has a beautiful matte finish, and the chrome playing will likely make it a lot less likely to get corrosion or even tea stains. Remember that stainless steel was named that because it stained "less" than carbon steel, not because it didn't stain at all.

I like the matte finish, but why not put it on brass? Satin nickel on brass makes more sense, it's more cost effective to use, and will easily last two or three lifetimes, and for those who've said they like the weight, brass is heavier.

So, why I havent mastered this thing yet, and after 4 or 5 shaves I have already upgraded to a 34c, I think you caught my attention with the wolfman. I am just curios as to how much a high demand razor like that will cost a guy. I fully expect to do this until I get it or die, but I have only been on B&B a few days, trying to soak it all in. I think I am seeing two different kinds of users, those that have lots of ladies and choose what they want for the day. Then there are the, I found my mate and she is my go to everyday. I am the go to everyday type, so when I nail this I want one razor for me, and to teach my kids , and theirs , and theirs( I know, Noah must have had a razor like that). So much to learn, so late to the game.

No need for a Rolex if you have a timex, but then it's cheap.. some like higher quality things, de razors are no different. I like the 34c, great razor. Since this is all still new for you keep using the 34c till you get the hang of it, great razor, look into different soaps and blades, if this is something you enjoy and you want a more expensive razor there's options, can't say for sure they blow cheaper razor out of the water, for me the Timeless is just much more efficient shaver, one pass on the neck and two on my face and I'm done, with the 34c it just doesn't shave that efficiently. For me I like having a high quality razor since this is something I really enjoy. Wolfman are hard to get then the resale market will hurt your wallet, other options like Blackbird, Timeless and ATT, I'm sure there's many others too.

itll likely take more than 4-5 shaves to master this... the biggest thing for me was when I got a good protective soap and really learnt to use no pressure and nailing that angle down. You'll get it.

Last edited:
Another problem with zinc alloy is that it is always molten and they pour it into a mold. When metal is produced in this manner it becomes brittle (when dropped it snaps instead of bends). Some stainless & brass razors have also been made this way too. Personally it has nothing to do with why I don't like zamac or other zinc alloy razors but it is something for this conversation.

A new offering....coming November a Muhle stainless razor...

$muhle_rocca_05.jpg

$muhle_rocca_06.jpg

I've been reading the thread, but the difference is not only SS or not SS. How is it manufactured? Some SS razors are cast, (sintered) while others are precision machined from a stock block or rod of SS. Also, the attention to detail of the finish, including deburring and polishing will affect the quality of the shave.
Researching how the razor is processed (even for Zamak razors) is as key as the material.
Another thought; if you do not use cleansers on the razor, I would be surprised that you would get even a smidgen of rust (or tea spots) on a SS razor. After nearly two years of use, mine looks like the day I received it. I rinse with hot water and blow the water out and hang it up after use. I dry wipe with a tissue on blade change day. Maintenance can't get any easier.
Machined razors are more expensive due to the labor and machine time required to produce them, but the precision is evident in the result. It's only a razor, but I prefer machined SS over the other offerings, including plated brass.

Agreed. Have the Feather AS-D2 and while it's a fine machine, it's not necessary. I get GREAT shaves from my EJ Kelvin with Astra blades. Feather blades are a little too agressive in the EJ but in my Merkur 34-C HD, they're a good match and very smooth. I'm looking to sell my Feather razor. Very mild and beautifully made.

Would the head be the same as the R89?

Since EJ and Muhle shared in the development of the excellent head marketed by both, I would assume that the head design will be their well-proven design. I'm looking at this with great interest.

^ interesting. I'm not sure if I'm ready for something more aggressive than the AS D2, but I sure will be tempted. I do prefer the look of thinner (low profile) heads, and based on these pics it appears to be on the thicker side.

I think people like the look of stainless steel. Solid SS is heavier than hollow brass. Most brass razors are plated. SS is one material, so no worries about plate loss. I prefer heavy brass when I can find it.

I have quite a few Gillette New Improved and New Deluxe razors which have about the heaviest brass heads ever made. The versions with removable handles can be used with modern stainless or solid Brass handles, giving modern razor weight and balance if desired. The common damage observed with the New Improved razors is bent comb end teeth. Next, seen on a few is worn and damaged threads as the threads in brass are weak compared to stainless steel threads. Also plating loss is common if used much and brass can corrode as shown by the green buildup on brass razors with worn plating. It is my understanding that most old Gillette brass razors were machined or forged and machined construction rather than cast.

All these weaknesses are removed in the stainless steel razor at the expense of high cost. 316 stainless steel is very corrosion resistant and is used in body jewelry due to that. Other alloys are a bit less corrosion resistant and some are attracted to a magnet as shown by stainless steel knives and razor blades. Stainless steel also is less likely to either have threads wear out or have bent teeth as it is harder, stronger and more wear resistant than brass. Necessary? Probably not considering that many Brass Gillette razors are now over 100 years old and still shave fine.

I see that one razor manufacturer has stated that a brass razor will last a lifetime whereas a stainless steel razor will last 10,000 years. So there you have it :001_smile

In 10,000 years, and people have evolved beyond face hair, my stainless razors will be in museums next to the stone hand tools of our ancestors!

I have quite a few Gillette New Improved and New Deluxe razors which have about the heaviest brass heads ever made. The versions with removable handles can be used with modern stainless or solid Brass handles, giving modern razor weight and balance if desired. The common damage observed with the New Improved razors is bent comb end teeth. Next, seen on a few is worn and damaged threads as the threads in brass are weak compared to stainless steel threads. Also plating loss is common if used much and brass can corrode as shown by the green buildup on brass razors with worn plating. It is my understanding that most old Gillette brass razors were machined or forged and machined construction rather than cast.

All these weaknesses are removed in the stainless steel razor at the expense of high cost. 316 stainless steel is very corrosion resistant and is used in body jewelry due to that. Other alloys are a bit less corrosion resistant and some are attracted to a magnet as shown by stainless steel knives and razor blades. Stainless steel also is less likely to either have threads wear out or have bent teeth as it is harder, stronger and more wear resistant than brass. Necessary? Probably not considering that many Brass Gillette razors are now over 100 years old and still shave fine.
Actually brass is heavier than stainless steel, most vintage handles are hollow and most modern stainless are solid.

Currently there is only one reason why I would want a stainless steel razor: I know it will outlast me.

Imagine if my favorite razor (made in zamak) would break after some years and the company that made them would at that point no longer exist, what would I do then? Finding a replacement would not be easy. If it would be made in stainless steel I would not need to worry, as it would not break.

Top Bottom