What's new

How many days of growth?

Personally, I only go 1 or 2 days...but once you start wet/DE shaving, you won't be able to stand it to wait any longer :thumbup:. BUT, I have heard of guys shaving off multiple days growth with little to no problems while using an OC (open comb) razor.
+1, too much temptation to skip a day, would feel as though I hadn't showered as well if I skip!

+1, too much temptation to skip a day, would feel as though I hadn't showered as well if I skip!
I totally agree...I typically shave before work everyday due to me being a supervisor (setting a good example). If I go more than one day, I have withdrawls...plus I get a little "scruffy"

This morning, I have shaved 11 days of growth, with an Above the Tie open comb slant and a Supermax stainless blade. Even if it is not the sharpest blade I have in stock, the shave went very well, with no irritation afterward. Just one small pimple burst out, but I think it is quite unavoidable when you have a good growth to shave.

I've gone a week, and DE had no problem.
Carts on the other hand get clogged as someone else mentioned. You have to constantly rinse out the stubble... and oddly enough, the more blades in the cart, the worse the clogging problem.

I shave every day like most, I might take a day off if I've given myself careless newbie irritation. I shaved my head with my cheap Elkaline DE and a derby blade a couple of weeks ago (it's thin at the crown, but otherwise quite thick). I reckon it was about 1/4 inch long at the time, and I had no trouble at all. I would think your face would be more sensitive to irritation, but I'd say any combination of DE and blade could mow down a couple week beard.

About 10 years ago, I had a full beard, but too many women who I was chatting to in bars said that they thought I was about 50 - I was only 37 at the time, so I took it all off fairly easily with a Gillette M3 Power.

Last year when I was recovering from a hip replacement, I was in too much pain to shave more than 1-2 times per week, usually when I changed the dressings.
A DE blade took a week's worth of growth off without much difficulty, even when I was cold water shaving in the middle of a heatwave.
I physically couldn't get in or out of the bath, but with hot soapy water, a sponge and some talc, personal hygiene wasn't a problem - but I felt dirty and scruffy between shaves.

Now, I make a point of getting up early to shave daily, usually around 7am, except on Wednesdays because I treat myself to a lie in and shave at around 5pm, ready to go out at 8pm.
Because my face is still fairly smooth, it's hardly worth shaving on Thursdays, so I treat myself to another lie in
At 7am on Friday mornings, after 38 hours between shaves, I know I'm good and ready for a shave, and I enjoy it all the more.

Top Bottom