What's new

Daniel's straight journal

Shave 3 update:

First off... Last night I hit the lapping film with my 6/8" Friodur. 15u all the way up to 0.3u with a sheet of copy paper underneath it, then pasted linen strop, clean linen strop, then finally leather strop. The razor is now noticeably sharper than before based on my hopefully correct execution of the hanging hair test. I'm still not sure if it's "there" yet though, as I haven't received the loupe that I ordered from Amazon yet and don't have anything else to compare it to other than my poorly stropped initial impressions before this honing session.

My shave this morning went much better than my first two attempts. I took my time and managed to make it through my usual three passes with only a couple of nicks. One of them was moderately bad and both were in my moustache area. I'm a glutton for punishment and stubborn, so I didn't even bring out my Above the Tie Atlas M2 for touching up. I want to see where I did okay and where I need to improve. My initial thoughts are that while I didn't come away with any major blood loss, I didn't get a close shave, need to work on my XTG pass on my neck especially, and need to work on proper level of pressure and blade angle. Other than that it was great though! [emoji38] [emoji106] In all seriousness, I'm not terribly unpleased with how it went. My expectations aren't BBS or even DFS at this point... more so just minimal nicks and irritation.

I'm anxious to get to try the razors in the passaround box. I'm sure they'll give me a better idea of how a properly honed razor feels on the face and my personal preferences of blade width and grind. Until next time...

Shave #4:

This morning was certainly a BIG improvement over my previous attempts. Still had a few weepers but none to write home about that required the styptic pencil. I'm beginning to have a better understanding of how to manipulate the angle of the blade and how much pressure to use. I wonder if having over two full days of growth might have helped somewhat in making it a more comfortable shave. I imagine so, since I have never been able to shave with an aggressive DE (i.e. R41 or ATT H2) 3 full passes on consecutive days.

Today was also my first time using this year's rendition of Barrister and Mann's Hallows shaving soap and aftershave. Their Glissant base is truly outstanding. The scent is definitely a manly one, but not off putting like Roam and Leviathan IMHO. To each their own of course.

All in all I am very pleased with how it went today. I wouldn't call it BBS, but not far from DFS except for the chin area, which is to be expected somewhat. I feel like my stropping technique has already improved in the short amount of time I've been doing this. I'm still not fast by any means, but it doesn't feel as awkward or foreign at this point.

I'm still not completely convinced that I've honed my Friodur to perfection yet, which is why I'm anxious for my turn to come around for the passaround box. I'm sure that will clue me in a bit more about what a properly honed straight feels like. I ordered a 60x loupe on Amazon, which is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to take a closer look at my current edge.

Until next time...

Have fun with the passaround box!

Re: B&M Hallows. I just got my tub the other day, but haven't lathered it yet (TABACTOBER going on). However, it smells a bit different than the Hallows from a previous years batch that I had. Looking forward to trying it.

Have fun with the passaround box!

Re: B&M Hallows. I just got my tub the other day, but haven't lathered it yet (TABACTOBER going on). However, it smells a bit different than the Hallows from a previous years batch that I had. Looking forward to trying it.

I'm sure I will! Today's shave was an encouragement to me.

That's interesting about this year's Hallows. I didn't my hands on any in years past, so I have no basis for comparison. I will say that it's pretty forward with the vetiver note IMO. Any more so and I wouldn't care for it as much. Will is a master at blending scents thankfully.

Shave #5:

Woke up somewhat early this morning to get a straight shave in before going to work. I'll emphasize somewhat, because it wasn't quite early enough for me to REALLY take my time like I should be doing at this point.

Razor: J.A. Henckels 6/8" Friodur
Soap: Barrister and Mann Hallows
Aftershave: Alum and Barrister and Mann Hallows

Things were going pretty well until I got lazy on my ATG pass. I feel like I'm improving with each shave significantly, which likely fostered my unwarranted confidence. It began with a small nick under the right side of my chin, steamrolled into a slightly larger nick under the right side of my nose, and culminated with a slice under my right side burn in front of my ear. I bled for a bit. Styptic pencil and alum block were no match for this one. Next time I'll be more careful. I may skip tomorrow to give my wounds time to heal, but I've definitely been reminded that a steady hand is not optional. Until next time...

Good idea. I would let things heal a bit before proceeding. My biggest lesson after a few shaves. When you think you are getting comfortable and good with the straight, stop and throw that thought out the window. Your concentration drops ever so slightly and that false confidence ends up with a poor shave or a nick/weeper. Apparently chicks dig battle scars. My fiance threatens me if I get another bad nick that she will toss my razors out. Fortunately, I am doing something right since my collection just keeps growing. :)

Good idea. I would let things heal a bit before proceeding. My biggest lesson after a few shaves. When you think you are getting comfortable and good with the straight, stop and throw that thought out the window. Your concentration drops ever so slightly and that false confidence ends up with a poor shave or a nick/weeper. Apparently chicks dig battle scars. My fiance threatens me if I get another bad nick that she will toss my razors out. Fortunately, I am doing something right since my collection just keeps growing. :)

I'm hoping that taking tomorrow off will be sufficient time for the cuts to heal. I usually recover quickly. I think what you described is exactly what happened this morning. Lesson learned... I hope lol. I can't wait for my turn to roll around on the passaround box. I'm anxious to see what my preferences are, and I'm glad I won't have to spend a fortune to find out! My wife is more so. [emoji38]

Daniel, you are experiencing what we all go through, over confidence when shaving. While the disease is seldom fatal, it is messy and uncomfortable. When I found myself in that position I adopted a slow me down technique. That was before every new stroke I would look in the mirror at what I was about to shave, take a deep breath and proceed. It really is about taking your time and enjoying each stroke with the razor. You are doing a great job buy the way!!

Glad to hear that I'm not alone in this! I will try that approach next time around. I will say that I'm glad that I decided to venture into the straight razor world. It's always fun to try something new, and as much as I enjoy wet shaving with my DE razors, it had become a bit more habit than it was when I first got into it almost 3 years ago. This has been a breath of fresh air. I'm not so sure if I'm doing all that great so far, but I appreciate the encouragement!

Top Bottom