What's new

Why would i want a stainless steel razor?

I was under the impression that stainless steel razors are of higher quality than Zamak and more suited for razors that you intend to keep around forever. I have seen a few reports of the treads breaking off of Zamak caps, and I think that I read in the wiki that you should only expect these heads to last around 10 years tops.

I don't know much about metals and alloys but I'd love to have a stainless steel razor simply because I want a quality razor that I can pass down. Unfortunately, they're way out of my price range. Stainless steel handles can be had for quite cheap but heads seem to start at around $100. I have an iKon Bulldog handle that is apparently stainless steel but now I suspect that it might be made of some other materials considering how inexpensive it is when all other 100% stainless steel razors cost hundreds.
Don't worry, your Ikon handle is 316 stainless steel. Handles are relatively easy to make and the price reflects this. Heads are much more complicated and, thus, cost more. Ikon make some pretty good aluminium heads which are worth looking at.

proxy.php

http://www.merkur-razor.co.uk/merkur-razors.htm

I find it ironic that Merkur hail from Solingen, the heart of the German Steel industry, and don't use steel in their razors. I tend to have nothing to do with Merkur but I know some people like their products. We are all different.

Don't worry, your Ikon handle is 316 stainless steel. Handles are relatively easy to make and the price reflects this. Heads are much more complicated and, thus, cost more. Ikon make some pretty good aluminium heads which are worth looking at.

Cool, thank you for the information. It feels good to know that at least my razor handle is the real deal. The Tech seems to be aluminum and it's pretty affordable but it sounds like it's pretty aggressive, so it might not necessarily be the best option for me. I've actually had my eye on an upcoming adjustable that looks like it will be totally stainless steel, so I'll get a quality razor and I won't ever have to worry about it being too aggressive or too mild.

I'm sorry. I must be having a senior moment (86). I tried to find any references in old literature to SS and failed. I tried looking for some words on my Futur and only succeeded in dropping it and cutting my thumb badly when I grabbed for it.

Pro - cool, corrosion resistant. Most makers who use this material produce razors made to very precise tolerances.

Con - expensive, possible too heavy for some users.

Stainless razor makers also tend to used solid handles versus the mostly hollow handles of vintage brass razors, making the stainless razors feel substantially heavier.

+1
Says it all really.

Tobyc, you've convinced me that the futur is chrome played, and I know it's made of zamak, but just fyi that fact that it is chrome plated doesn't, in and of itself, prove that it is not made of stainless steel. Exhibit A is the feather AS-D2, which, although made of stainless steel, is plated with a thin layer of chrome.

It's quality, it's adding to the shaving experience of having a high quality razor. I just used a stainless steel razor today for the first time and at first the weight of it seemed a lot but during the shave I much preferred that extra weight of the razor, felt solid. Also, I do think the better high end razor do deliver a better shave, now I've only had a 34c before today but after the first shave with a Timeless it was more comfortable, much more efficient and just felt great having something that was made by a trades man in North America.. I'm sold on the higher end stuff now, I want a wolfman next and I'll be done.

So, why I havent mastered this thing yet, and after 4 or 5 shaves I have already upgraded to a 34c, I think you caught my attention with the wolfman. I am just curios as to how much a high demand razor like that will cost a guy. I fully expect to do this until I get it or die, but I have only been on B&B a few days, trying to soak it all in. I think I am seeing two different kinds of users, those that have lots of ladies and choose what they want for the day. Then there are the, I found my mate and she is my go to everyday. I am the go to everyday type, so when I nail this I want one razor for me, and to teach my kids , and theirs , and theirs( I know, Noah must have had a razor like that). So much to learn, so late to the game.

Last edited:
Tobyc, you've convinced me that the futur is chrome played, and I know it's made of zamak, but just fyi that fact that it is chrome plated doesn't, in and of itself, prove that it is not made of stainless steel. Exhibit A is the feather AS-D2, which, although made of stainless steel, is plated with a thin layer of chrome.

I can find nothing to support your claim, got a link?

No, it isn't.
Yes, it is.

The manufacturer says it is. Tobyc, this had been discussed previously on the forum fairly extensively. One of our members contact the manufacturer and received a letter verifying that it was, in fact, chrome plated. The reason, I don't know. If you search this topic you should be able to find it.

Yes, it is.

The manufacturer says it is. Tobyc, this had been discussed previously on the forum fairly extensively. One of our members contact the manufacturer and received a letter verifying that it was, in fact, chrome plated. The reason, I don't know. If you search this topic you should be able to find it.

As I said before. "Probably just Japanese attention to detail".

Yes, it is.

If true, they should use brass instead. Once plated you can't tell what it's made from, and it would have more weight. It would also be cheaper for them and us to use brass, and there would be more finishing options. There is no good reason to use stainless steel if you're going to plate it. Brass is the better choice.

It's difficult to properly source and quote on my phone but these are email replies to various people that asked about the plating in the past:
"Thank you very much for your e-mail dated February 18, 2012 through our
website.

We very much appreciate your interest in our all stainless steel razor, and
we are pleased to inform you that the surface treatment of this razor is
matted chrome-plating just as you mentioned, and that is also what is meant
in Japanese description in the website.

Thank you very much again for your interest in our products.

Best regards,

=================================
Tsuyoshi Ishiyama
FEATHER SAFETY RAZOR CO., LTD.
OVERSEAS TRADE DIVISION"

and

"Dear Mr. (me),

Thank you very much for your email of February 23, 2016.

Regarding your inquiry about plating on AS-D2 razor, as you pointed out, it has a chrome finish over top of the stainless steel. Although the original AS-D1 was already discontinued, the AS-D2 and the ongoing AS-D2 both have the same plating. We hope this information will be helpful for you.

Again, thank you very much for contacting us.

Best regards,

Yuji Soya Overseas Trade Division (contact info removed)"

Either my Feather AS-D2 is chrome plated or they bead blasted the surface. It certainly resembles nothing of the many other "in the raw" stainless finished products I own, including my ATT R1. My suspicion is that it is hard chromed.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's difficult to properly source and quote on my phone but these are email replies to various people that asked about the plating in the past:
"Thank you very much for your e-mail dated February 18, 2012 through our
website.

We very much appreciate your interest in our all stainless steel razor, and
we are pleased to inform you that the surface treatment of this razor is
matted chrome-plating just as you mentioned, and that is also what is meant
in Japanese description in the website.

Thank you very much again for your interest in our products.

Best regards,

=================================
Tsuyoshi Ishiyama
FEATHER SAFETY RAZOR CO., LTD.
OVERSEAS TRADE DIVISION"

and

"Dear Mr. (me),

Thank you very much for your email of February 23, 2016.

Regarding your inquiry about plating on AS-D2 razor, as you pointed out, it has a chrome finish over top of the stainless steel. Although the original AS-D1 was already discontinued, the AS-D2 and the ongoing AS-D2 both have the same plating. We hope this information will be helpful for you.

Again, thank you very much for contacting us.

Best regards,

Yuji Soya Overseas Trade Division (contact info removed)"

Thank you. :thumbup1:

The communications from the Feather razor company (several emails above) is very interesting.

All I can say is if I would buy a stainless steel razor I would not want it covered in chrome or whatever. I'm somewhat of a purist at heart, and I personally would want to enjoy the beauty of the natural stainless steel. I have a drawer filled with chromed razors, and I don't really need another one.

It also reminds me that I have beautiful hardwood floors in my home. I would not want to cover them with beautiful wall to wall carpeting. :001_smile

Top Bottom