What's new

witch hazel

just ordered some pure distilled witch hazel online. anyone else use this stuff ?

first time i will be using it and just wanted to know your thoughts. i have been using a TOBS alum block,,,love it.

Shave
Alum
Witch hazel
Everytime....

But just the cheap generic stuff since I'm a thrifty Scotsman and save my money (for soaps and creams and balms and razors....)

I agree with YKMV, the generic Witch Hazel (you can find it by the rubbing alcohol, Hyd Peroxide at most stores) is just as good as more expensive ones.

If you need/want alcohol free, Thayer's is a good option - they have some nice scents as well. I like the Cucumber the most.

Witch Hazel is amazing stuff, towel your face, apply the WH, let it dry while you do your clean up, then apply after shave of choice (or WH makes a fine AS on it's own). Your face will feel better and have less bumps/acne/pimples, etc. I apply the WH to my entire face for these benefits.

Enjoy!

-Will

cheers lads :thumbup:

i've ordered a fine mist spray bottle for it, so i will just spray the whole face after shaving.

I just use the generic stuff from Walmart. It is a buck and change plus tax and works decently. It does have that awful natural WH smell, however. I use cotton squares from the cosmetics isle to apply it after my shave everyday before I apply any balms or splashes.

I might have to pick up a spritz bottle, as mentioned above. That sounds like a good idea, and it would save me a few pennies on the cotton squares.

just ordered some pure distilled witch hazel online. anyone else use this stuff ?

first time i will be using it and just wanted to know your thoughts. i have been using a TOBS alum block,,,love it.
Hi Aaron83, welcome to B&B.
I have just started using Thayers witch hazel and really enjoy the feel after shaving. I don't normally use after shave unless I am going out with SWMBO.
I found PaulHFilms on YouTube who raves about this product. I am going to get a spritz bottle, this sounds a good way to apply it.
I also like using Nivea sensitive post shave balm.
Happy shaving.

I use Thayers alcohol free everyday in one scent or another, sometimes twice a day. It's something that is mandatory to keep around for me. It has done more to help my skin than anything else I've tried.

The witch is a regular part of my routine, either Thayer's or drug store brand. It can help to tame the bite of a rude aftershave. =)

Been trying to do some research online regarding distilled and non-distilled witch hazel....anyone know the difference??
Confused.....
I see thayers use non distilled.

Witch Hazel is great stuff. I use the Thayers Cucumber and Aloe. Not just after I shave, but sometimes in the morning before I leave just to wake me up. I will be trying the Thayers Superhazel next.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
i've ordered a fine mist spray bottle for it, so i will just spray the whole face after shaving.

That's what I do. I started when I was traveling, and a spray bottle was the only travel size bottle the dollar store had. I've never looked back.

For some reason, though, I only keep the regular ol' Dickinson's in the spray bottle. I have a handful of Thayer's flavors for variety, and I just splash those on.

I shave, witch hazel, aftershave, every time. It's become my ritual. This routine, plus better technique, has reduced redness on my neck, and all but eliminated razor burn for me.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Good thing it's cheap. Is it anything like Razorock 888?
I haven't tried 888, so I can't say.

I'm a big fan of Super Hazel, though. The primary scent is clove, and I think that's what tends to polarize. There is the camphor, as well, but that is milder and doesn't last. Once the brief alcohol sting goes down and the relatively mild menthol kicks in, the feel is tough to beat.

I haven't tried 888, so I can't say.

I'm a big fan of Super Hazel, though. The primary scent is clove, and I think that's what tends to polarize. There is the camphor, as well, but that is milder and doesn't last. Once the brief alcohol sting goes down and the relatively mild menthol kicks in, the feel is tough to beat.

I'm not a huge fan of clove. I'll probably try it though. Hard to beat for $12 and if I don't like it I'm sure it will make a good PIF item.

I agree with YKMV, the generic Witch Hazel (you can find it by the rubbing alcohol, Hyd Peroxide at most stores) is just as good as more expensive ones.

If you need/want alcohol free, Thayer's is a good option - they have some nice scents as well. I like the Cucumber the most.

Witch Hazel is amazing stuff, towel your face, apply the WH, let it dry while you do your clean up, then apply after shave of choice (or WH makes a fine AS on it's own). Your face will feel better and have less bumps/acne/pimples, etc. I apply the WH to my entire face for these benefits.

Enjoy!

-Will

i agree with all.....but have always had to order my Thayer's on line. I have never seen it in the stores.

i agree with all.....but have always had to order my Thayer's on line. I have never seen it in the stores.

If you have a Whole Foods market near you I just saw a nice selection of scents there last weekend. But it was cheaper on Amazon especially if you have Prime.

Top Bottom