What's new

A few heretic truths about DE shaving

Personal taste really, all it is. I have many razors from Maggard's to red Tips, various Tech's, Merkur etc. etc.. What would I pick if I could only have one forever? Probably my Lord Tech. It's just good! I hate using Gel's, too sloppy, but if you have a wet enough face and get your hand wet a couple more times whilst working it in slowly, you can easily make it what a lathered cream with a brush is.

I big part of this shaving now for me is the aroma. Canned goo can deliver adequate slickness and cushion, but nothing beats the variety of scents that are out there in all the different soaps and creams. The act of lathering up is part of what I love in the shave, part of the ritual and i love rituals as much as the next guy.

great list, i agree with some of it, disagree with some of it. for me, it just depends on how much fun i want to have with this hobby, enjoy the journey, not the destination. i will; however, never cold water shave.

there's always a plan B

Reactions: RTM
What works for some, may not work for others. Each person is individual and each persons wants, likes, and level of hobby is their own. Some want to shave and get it over with, some like the spa experience, and the variety of products in today's world is what makes this hobby so enjoyable. We are so lucky to have turned a daily "must do" routine into a daily ritual that most look forward to, and have all the different products and methods make it unique among hobbies

It is so individualized that there is no wrong or right way, or wrong product, or right product, or one right method or wrong method. To call how each individual chooses to shave heretical, is heretical by its own nature.

$Keep Calm.jpg

You make some good points, and I agree with nearly all of them.

I remember reading an old thread between two gentlemen, discussing if they ever had to keep one 'aspect' of traditional wet shaving, whether it be a brush & soap OR a double edged razor, which they would keep. One said that he would keep the brush and cream/soap and shave with a Gillette Fusion, the other said that as long as his razor only had ONE blade, he could make it just fine with Barbasol. I agree with the latter.

I have NEVER been a proponent of pre-shave. Just like super-lather or whatever-the-hell-lather, a product should be able to stand on its own. If it cannot, then it is a faulty product.

Most of it I agree with, but blades are not the same. That's like saying the $3 knife at the walmart checkout is as good as your henkles/whustof/cutco/insert other high end knife. (But I do agree feathers won't kill you. :lol:)

Also coming from someone with sensitive and VERY dry skin, there's no way I can do a second pass on water alone. Just doesn't happen.

You do make some good points though. Is some of it exaggerated? Most likely, but that's why we are here. It's kind of like beer30 on the fishing boat. Sharing stories and experiences with friends after something we enjoy.

I do a 3 pass shave in about 7 minutes and that includes lathering and cleaning of my brush, bowl, and sink. I have more stuff than I actually "need". But I'm still writing my list to Santa. :001_tt2:

Great post. Get past all the product hype and enjoy your shave ritual. 10 minutes of "me time" is the best part of my day.

Reactions: RTM
makes sense.
however shaving from a can is like changing a Tyre without obscenities.
likely the same result, but lacking in all the magic that make the experience memorable.

After shaving for more than a half century I have come to the conclusion that......

Shaving is what you make of it.

No more

No less.

OK, to me those look a lot more like OPINIONS that "truths". I can agree with some of them, but I'd say, in my experience, numbers 1 and 2 aren't truths, those are lies.

Having shaved since the mid 1960s on and of with DEs I cannot agree with your list entirely. Shaving is as simple or complicated as you want to make it considering what works for you.

Bob

This is ALL TRUE, providing we all have the same face/beard/comfort levels and ymmv is just a B&B fallacy (perpetrated by people who don't realize we are all the same shaver, strangely with different names).

The cost of the razor means nothing as far as the quality of the shave.
My addition.

I'm digging all these answers more than a list of experiences and opinions (valuable as they may be to those seeking answers) being laid out as gospel. Or anti-gospel as it is heretical.

For example, I agree DE shaving isn't some great technique that requires 50 years under a tibetan monk on a mountain to master as some make it sound. But using generally the same technique with a mild light DE, certain blades, and rubbing a bar of bath soap on my face makes for a far worse shave than switching razors, blades and lathering with brush and shave soap.

Last edited:
I don't think DE shaving can be described as heretical. I am almost 86 and have used every shaving method there is. My current preference is to shave with a Schick Hydro 5 for all three passes and a polish; then grab a DE razor with a good blade and polish to bbs. Works fine; works fast; no nicks. I find that every DE razor handles differently and all blades do not work equally well. Shaving soaps and creams also have duds and winners. So I must be the heretic.

I agree. I brought up the point about a blade being as sharp and as smooth as it will ever be when it is new. Pretty much got laughed out of the thread.

As for canned shaving cream, you may even get a better shave if you are someone who struggles lathering soap with a brush. It is worse for your skin though.

I agree. I brought up the point about a blade being as sharp and as smooth as it will ever be when it is new. Pretty much got laughed out of the thread.

As for canned shaving cream, you may even get a better shave if you are someone who struggles lathering soap with a brush. It is worse for your skin though.

Well obviously. You're not truly manly unless your stubble is so tough that it hones the blade while cutting.:lol:

Well obviously. You're not truly manly unless your stubble is so tough that it hones the blade while cutting.:lol:

lol

For the record I tried to like the Polsilver SI. I gave it a shot twice. And by twice I mean the first time I tried one it effed me up. Later, when my technique was solid I tried again. It was decent for the first few shaves then it effed me up again. No more Polsilver SIs for me.

Top Bottom