What's new

Ikon Tech has RUINED ME

I love my Ikon Tech. Smooth and most aggressive razor IMHO by 10 miles. It's fantastic.

I recently acquired a Wolfman set at the most aggressive blade exposure he does. I will say it's amazingly well made, and I feel like I could use it like a fusion. It's so smooth I think cutting myself would be impossible. Problem is, I can't get as close a shave as I do with my beloved Tech.

I wish someone would make a SS Tech head. To me it's the top of the mountain.

I recently acquired a Wolfman set at the most aggressive blade exposure he does. I will say it's amazingly well made, and I feel like I could use it like a fusion. It's so smooth I think cutting myself would be impossible. Problem is, I can't get as close a shave as I do with my beloved Tech.
Your mileage does vary

Hi,

Well, I can say that my prewar Tech pretty much stopped being so good after 20 years of shaving, 20 years ago. I sometimes still try and use it, and the best it can do is between an SAS and a CCS after four passes. My Fasan DoubleSlant does a really nice DFS with only two passes.

Other vintage Gillettes which outperform the Tech are the Red Tip SS, the Old Type and any flavor of the NEW. So....YMMV, indeed. ;)

Stan

My problem is that I love them ALL.
Haven't had an adjustable yet, so THAT can of worms remains unopened.
Techs, NEW, New Improved, SS, Feather Popular,...
Life is good.

Hi,

Well, I can say that my prewar Tech pretty much stopped being so good after 20 years of shaving, 20 years ago. I sometimes still try and use it, and the best it can do is between an SAS and a CCS after four passes. My Fasan DoubleSlant does a really nice DFS with only two passes.

Other vintage Gillettes which outperform the Tech are the Red Tip SS, the Old Type and any flavor of the NEW. So....YMMV, indeed. ;)

Stan

The OP is referring to the ShaveCraft Tech, not a Gillette Tech. The ShaveCraft Tech is arguably the most aggressive DE out there.

I love my Ikon Tech. Smooth and most aggressive razor IMHO by 10 miles. It's fantastic.

I wish someone would make a SS Tech head. To me it's the top of the mountain.

+1 on that, Tom. I don't use the beast on a daily basis, but when I do, it's super-efficient and I almost never get weepers. It's smooth in a way that one might describe a refined Single Malt - not for everyone, but for those who enjoy this, it's hard to beat.

I do not think that the Ikon Tech is a aggressive as the original (2011) R-41, but it is definitely in the top three most agressive shavers out there. I find that the Ikon Tech is much smoother however than the R-41 and much more pleasant to use. I can even use it every day.

The OP is referring to the ShaveCraft Tech, not a Gillette Tech. The ShaveCraft Tech is arguably the most aggressive DE out there.

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification! I was thinking that these were modern copies of the Gillette Tech in the way the Ikon Slant is a copy of the vintage Mulcuto. :)

Stan

I do not think that the Ikon Tech is a aggressive as the original (2011) R-41, but it is definitely in the top three most agressive shavers out there. I find that the Ikon Tech is much smoother however than the R-41 and much more pleasant to use. I can even use it every day.

I have yet to use the 2 side-by-side (though I plan to), but my impression is that they are quite close. It's been several months since I used my 2011 R41, so I'm going by memory, but I did use it almost daily for a fair amount of time. Several folks on the forum (that have used both) have stated that the Tech is more aggressive, but others have stated the opposite, so I look forward to comparing myself. I do agree that the ShaveCraft Tech does seem smoother.

Borrowing a photo from elsewhere. Looks like a pretty aggressive razor based on the blade exposure!

View attachment 670012

View attachment 670014

I think that last photo might be exaggerated due to the angle. Here is what I get if I draw my own line:

$Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I have yet to use the 2 side-by-side (though I plan to), but my impression is that they are quite close. It's been several months since I used my 2011 R41, so I'm going by memory, but I did use it almost daily for a fair amount of time. Several folks on the forum (that have used both) have stated that the Tech is more aggressive, but others have stated the opposite, so I look forward to comparing myself. I do agree that the ShaveCraft Tech does seem smoother.

I currently have the R41 2011 and Ikon Tech in my four-razor rotation, along with the 1924 and 1914 SEs. My own experience is that the Ikon Tech is significantly more aggressive than the R41 2011. With the Tech, all I feel is blade, perhaps because I need to use a very steep angle to avoid bloodshed. With the R41, I can use any angle for an effortless, smooth shave. Both provide the closest and longest-lasting shaves among my dozens of razors, and neither leads the other.

Yup it seems to be a tomatoe tomatoe type deal. Personally , as you can guess I found the Tech more aggressive AND smoother.

Just wish Ikon would make a SS version.

Yup it seems to be a tomatoe tomatoe type deal. Personally , as you can guess I found the Tech more aggressive AND smoother.

Just wish Ikon would make a SS version.

Do you use a steep or a shallow angle with the Tech? Maybe I should adjust my angle...

My wish is that Muhle bring back the 2011 version of the R41, in stainless steel. I'm worried the Zamak in my precious R41 will give way someday...

I currently have the R41 2011 and Ikon Tech in my four-razor rotation, along with the 1924 and 1914 SEs. My own experience is that the Ikon Tech is significantly more aggressive than the R41 2011. With the Tech, all I feel is blade, perhaps because I need to use a very steep angle to avoid bloodshed. With the R41, I can use any angle for an effortless, smooth shave. Both provide the closest and longest-lasting shaves among my dozens of razors, and neither leads the other.

Amazing how different perceptions can be of the same razors.

I just had my first shave with the Ikon Tech. I knew after the first couple of strokes that for me it wasn't even close to my usual razor, the 2011 R41.

Exact opposite of pbrmhl's experience. Very smooth, could barely feel the blade (new Polsilver SI) After finishing completing the first pass I had unacceptable residual whereas with the R41 I would have had at least a DFS.

I used a steep angle which feels natural for me but tried varying it to see if any other angle was more effective. Nope, only the steep angle worked.

I completed a three pass shave and needed some extra buffing on my neck but achieved a comfortable BBS.

I can get the same results with a two pass shave with my R41's (either vintage).

Will be interesting to see how long the BBS lasts.

If I had to rank the Ikon Tech after just this one shave I would put it somewhere near the Rockwell 6s with the #6 plate.

It's been a long time since I used it but if my recollection is correct, the RR Jaws gave me a similar shave.

Ordered myself a Shavecraft Tech based on threads like these (with a Bulldog handle). I've stayed away from the Muhle R41 because I have little interest in razors with pot metal heads, but the Shavecraft Tech has piqued my interest. I regularly shave with my Fatip razors, and I enjoy them very much, but I feel like I have to make so many extra strokes with these razors that I over-shave and irritate my face and neck. I guess it's because I don't shave every day, but I definitely feel like I can use something more efficient.

Last edited:
Yes it is crazy how different people get different shaves. I got rid of both my R41's after mastering the Tech. I have not been able to get anywhere near as close as I do with the Tech

Top Bottom