What's new

Gillette Fat Handle Tech

I was wondering if anyone had any information/opinion on how the Gillette Fat Handle Tech shaves, and the aggressiveness of the razor? I'm interested in one with the triangular holes.

I find the pre-war Fat Handled Techs to be my favorite shaving Gillette razor. Don't let the fact that they are considered great razors for new wetshavers make you think they are somehow a beginner's razor. It will reward excellent technique with a sublime shave, combining closeness and comfort like few razors can match.

I find the pre-war Fat Handled Techs to be my favorite shaving Gillette razor. Don't let the fact that they are considered great razors for new wetshavers make you think they are somehow a beginner's razor. It will reward excellent technique with a sublime shave, combining closeness and comfort like few razors can match.

My pre-war Tech is one of my top 3 favorite razors. With little effort, you get a great shave with them. Go for it!

IMHO postwar oblong slot is the better Tech! Especially for coarse hair. If your hair is easy to cut then both are about equally for the first handful of shaves. If you have coarse hair, the more rigid blade edge of the postwar Tech is a clear winner. The postwar Tech wins hands down in the longevity department. I prefer the Fat handle Postwar Tech over the ball end handle, it can get pretty slippery when wet. But the head is the same.

I like this review but the winner for me is the Postwar.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=476038

I got 18 head shaves from one blade, the last 12 were in the postwar.

I'm now using the postwar exclusively and expect to get at least 30 shaves from the current blade that I'm using for my face shaves.

Get them both and test them for yourself.

IMHO postwar oblong slot is the better Tech! Especially for coarse hair. If your hair is easy to cut then both are about equally for the first handful of shaves. If you have coarse hair, the more rigid blade edge of the postwar Tech is a clear winner. The postwar Tech wins hands down in the longevity department. I prefer the Fat handle Postwar Tech over the ball end handle, it can get pretty slippery when wet. But the head is the same.

I like this review but the winner for me is the Postwar.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=476038

I got 18 head shaves from one blade, the last 12 were in the postwar.

I'm now using the postwar exclusively and expect to get at least 30 shaves from the current blade that I'm using for my face shaves.

Get them both and test them for yourself.

I have to disagree. Having used both the "triangle" and "oval" slotted Techs, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between them, or at least my personal examples. I dig the triangle-"pre-war' style, just because it's older and has more "spiritual mojo"... (LOL...)

As far as blades and shave quality, mine only get used 5-7 times, and I'm changing them out. The Feather brand seems to be ultra sharp, and with careful use, an awesome BBS experience. You CAN cut yourself with any blade if you rush. What other blade brands provide is a comfortable and fun shaving result, and you can experiment with what works best.

Really the low cost to obtain a clean vintage Gillette example is amazing when you look at current variations by the high end makers in stainless versions. I use mine in rotation at least once a week, usually Tuesdays, out of habit now...

Oh yeah, don't miss out on trying a Gillette NEW. You'll love them also.

They are my all time favorite razors. To me a fat handle pre-war Tech shaves the same as a Fatboy set to 5 but has the added benefit of having a lower profile head which allows a great deal of precision in the shave. Definitely a must have for the hard core DE enthusiast.

The Gillette Fat Handle Tech is one of the finest razors ever made. The closest razor to shaving perfection. I use a Fat Handle Tech 90% of the time with either a Gillette Silver Blue or an Astra SP...and they are effortless shavers. Pre-war, post-war, ball end, travel tech, any of them are excellent shavers. Perfect for the newbie or the experienced shaver.

I find it's more aggressive than my Lord L6, 1970 Super speed, or my flare tip super speed. Not as agressive as an NEW LC.

I can shave half-asleep with either super speed without fear. I make sure I'm awake for the Early Tech I have. :)

I love it, rarely use the stock handle I pair it with either my ATT Atlas or Weber Bulldog. Works great with either.

I go through periods of time either using the Early Tech or my super speeds.

-Stephen

I find it's more aggressive than my Lord L6, 1970 Super speed, or my flare tip super speed. Not as agressive as an NEW LC.

I can shave half-asleep with either super speed without fear. I make sure I'm awake for the Early Tech I have. :)

I love it, rarely use the stock handle I pair it with either my ATT Atlas or Weber Bulldog. Works great with either.

I go through periods of time either using the Early Tech or my super speeds.

-Stephen

Hello Cphobes,

Are you anywhere near Norton Street? I lived there for several years (I'm on the South Shore now) and still have relatives that live right off Rt. 53.

Small world!

Personally I don't find a difference in the pre vs post war head. But I do find a difference in handles and the fat one is my favorite very comfortable.

The triangle Tech is fantastic. Since getting mine, I've had to remind myself that I own other razors. RustBoy doesn't get the daily driver spot at the moment.

I have to disagree. Having used both the "triangle" and "oval" slotted Techs, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between them, or at least my personal examples. I dig the triangle-"pre-war' style, just because it's older and has more "spiritual mojo"... (LOL...)

As far as blades and shave quality, mine only get used 5-7 times, and I'm changing them out. The Feather brand seems to be ultra sharp, and with careful use, an awesome BBS experience. You CAN cut yourself with any blade if you rush. What other blade brands provide is a comfortable and fun shaving result, and you can experiment with what works best.

Really the low cost to obtain a clean vintage Gillette example is amazing when you look at current variations by the high end makers in stainless versions. I use mine in rotation at least once a week, usually Tuesdays, out of habit now...

Oh yeah, don't miss out on trying a Gillette NEW. You'll love them also.
$uploadfromtaptalk1461624568625.jpg

The postwar Tech baseplate design is like the NEW SC(top picture) baseplate design. The baseplate extends further and supports the blade more, making the blade edge more rigid. Rigidity is better for cutting anything.

The prewar Tech baseplate design is like the Deluxe(bottom picture) baseplate design. Notice how the baseplate support stops, allowing the blade to curve with the cap. Not so rigid. The blade flexes, vibrates, and chatters, which is the noise you hear while shaving.

The postwar Tech is quiet because the blade does not flex, vibrate or chatter. Because of its rigidity is why I get more shaves from the Postwar Tech and NEW SC than the Prewar Tech and Deluxe/LC. And the Postwar Tech and SC cuts my coarse better, I don't have to touch up as much if at all.

Spend some time with the Postwar Tech and NEW SC and you will see, or not. YMMV

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Love my pre-war heavy. Haven't so much as looked at my slims or fatboys since I started shaving with it... Need to grab a post war! Or maybe a NEW SC :thumbup1: What's the difference between an SC and an LC BTW? Aside from comb length?

Last edited:
The post-wars are more rigid? As much as I'd like a razor that was new when Jimmy Stewart, Bogart, and Jimmy Cagney were young movie stars, the postwars sound even better. One of these, please, and a 1960 Fatboy.

Top Bottom