What's new

Boiled Eggs

I recently started boiling my eggs by STARTING with boiling water. 10 minutes at a low simmer, cold water bath and then peel. Prep the eggs for peeling by dumping all of the water, then rattling them around in the pan. Peeling is a bruise. No "green" ring around the yolk. I'm wondering. Why isn't this a thing?

Randy

"peeling is a bruise"?
did you get auto-corrected from "breeze"? or is that a new technique?

I boil for 5 minutes and rest for 10 then a minute of fast cold water... i'll try "bruising" them around in the pan before peeling.

If you make coddled eggs, why not bruised eggs?

If you have a pressure cooker 6 min on high make some fine eggs that pop right out of the shell.

I recently started boiling my eggs by STARTING with boiling water.

See that's weird. I'd always heard that boiling the eggs is what causes the green ring and methane smell. I guess it just shows that there are many paths to success......

I fill a pan with cool tap water, add the eggs, bring JUST to a boil, shut off heat and cover for 10 minutes. To peel. drain hot water, roll the eggs in the pan to lightly crack the shells, cover with cold water for 5 minutes. (This seems to help loosen the shells.)

Putting in cold eggs to hot water can make them crack and ooze, i put them in let them come up to a easy boil, turn down heat and cook for 10 mins, for hard boiled. Rinse in cooler water to help peel and cant remember last time i saw green around the egg yolk.
Ps . An egg can still crack if the boil is too rapid.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Someone told me to put a pinch or so of baking soda before putting the egg in. Apparently, it will soften the shell so it doesn't stick as much to the egg. I do that and saw a small difference. Boiled eggs could be prepared in advance (night before) for breakfast the next day...

I put them in cold water, bring the pan to a boil and let them cook at a rolling boil for 5-6 minutes depending on the size of the egg.

There are as many ways to boil eggs as to lather Williams, I think.

There are a lot of different ways to avoid the unsightly green ring, but the ring doesn't hurt you and I've never been able to taste the difference. It's a presentation thing.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The green ring is the result from boiling the egg too long.

"The reaction is usually caused by overcooking, but can also be caused by a high amount of iron in the cooking water."
-
Mary Torell, Public Information Officer,Nebraska Department of Agriculture, Poultry & Egg Division

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This is the way I've been doing it for quite some time. Works great.

http://doesitreallywork.org/nordic-ware-microwave-egg-boiler-review/

I'll have a shell crack every once in a great while, but after I got the timing down for my microwave it turns out perfect eggs 99.9% of the time.

As far as the linked article's claim that the microwave saps the nutrients from you eggs, here's one guy's opinion.

So how does the NordicWare Egg Boiler Work? Well, it is actually pretty cool. First, you put the eggs, 1-4 of them, onto a little internal rack which is sealed by metal. Normally you don't want to put metal into a microwave because it reflects the rays of the microwave. In this case it's a good thing. It means the eggs are NOT touched by the microwaves at all. They are shielded.

So how do they cook?

Beneath that aluminum "protective cage", you put water. So the water DOES heat up because it's not shielded. You are in essence ONLY cooking the water. The water then steams the eggs.

Last edited:
I do soft boiled eggs for Ramen all the time. I always use water at a boil. Pull out at 7 mins and into an ice bath. Seems to be working pretty good. No sulfur scent/taste (This coming from a guy that has to force eggs down) and a perfect soft boil.

Food Lab Test says hot start, turn down to simmer once you put the eggs in, and go for 11 minutes for hard boiled. Cold shock the eggs to avoid the dimple, and let chill overnight for best results.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I boil mine in bacon grease. Then batter and deep fry them. In bacon grease. Garnish with bacon bits. Then I slice them and make a BLTE sandwich with extra B.

I fill a pan with cool tap water, add the eggs, bring JUST to a boil, shut off heat and cover for 10 minutes. To peel. drain hot water, roll the eggs in the pan to lightly crack the shells, cover with cold water for 5 minutes. (This seems to help loosen the shells.)

+1

Yes, I was auto corrected and didn't catch it!

"peeling is a bruise"?
did you get auto-corrected from "breeze"? or is that a new technique?

I boil for 5 minutes and rest for 10 then a minute of fast cold water... i'll try "bruising" them around in the pan before peeling.

If you make coddled eggs, why not bruised eggs?

Hadn't tried this method before but Saturday gave it a go. Eggs into a pot of cold water, enough to cover by an inch, Bring to a rolling boil remove from heat and cover. Six minutes then drained and into an ice bath. Six minutes for a semi-hard, for soft- sit for three minutes then ice bath, hard boiled- ten minutes then the ice bath.

Turned out just as the recipe said, will go with this method again next time.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-boi...y-time-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-202415

Vietnamese Vegetable Baguette
proxy.php
dave

There is more voodoo and hearsay in boiling eggs than in any other cooking process.

Yes there is...

America's Test Kitchen did a big thing on boiled eggs - soft boiled eggs to be exact. They found that steaming was the best method and after doing it more than a dozen times myself, I concur. They went through a crazy number of eggs and tried everything and came up with this:

In a pan bring only about 1 and 1/2 inches of water to boil. Set your eggs in and cover pan with lid and set the timer for 6 and 1/2 minutes. When the timer goes off lift the eggs out of the pan and run under cold water for a bit. Cut off the top, sprinkle with a little Le Saunier De Camargue Fleur De Sel Sea Salt and some freshly cracked pepper and done.

By using so little water in the pan and steaming the eggs the water temperature doesn't drop when the eggs are put in - no matter how many you put in. Apparently this is a critical factor when boiling eggs. Anyway, it's worked great for me and takes all of the guesswork out the voodoo and hearsay of boiling eggs ;-)

Top Bottom