What's new

The Electric razor thread

Do you know the model year of those razors? Also can you find replacement blades for them?
The newer one, bottom, is a Norelco 5100 which takes HQ9 replacement heads. The older one takes no longer made HP1912 replacement heads so I might be out of luck there. The older razor is stamped "made in Holland"on the back. Probably not too common any more.

I've had a Norelco HP-1620 since high school and maybe once a year I break it out if I really need to shave and I don't have time for beard prep (I'm not one of the lucky ones who can just splash 'n shave). My face pays for it later, though. I haven't checked but I fully expect that the blades and heads aren't made anymore.

(Not my pic)

$norelco.JPG

Do any of you guys have problem areas that don't seem to get caught by the electric shaver? Mine is on my neck area near the adams apple where my whiskers grow in different directions. No matter what angle of attack, no matter the pressure, I just can't seem to get my Braun to shave close there. I'd probably use my electric razor more if I knew it would shave my entire face and neck with consistent results.

Because of this thread I took out an old Norelco shaver and gave it a whirl. After using it a few times I liked how it got rid of my 5 o'clock shadow. Then I picked up a bottle of Lectric shave at a discount store cheap. Gave it another try and was quite impressed with the results. IMHO, the electric pre-shave made a big difference. Got a DFS using an electric. The only thing I didn't like was the slight rawness I've always felt after using an electric razor.

Will I switch to electric? I doubt it. I'll will keep my Norelco for times I'm rushed and getting rid of 5 o'clock shadows.

I didn't use or even know about lectric shave way back when I first used an electric razor. When I recently tried again, I used lectric shave and thought it helped. I get fair results with a day or two of growth but can get some rawness if I try it with more growth than that.

I didn't use or even know about lectric shave way back when I first used an electric razor. When I recently tried again, I used lectric shave and thought it helped. I get fair results with a day or two of growth but can get some rawness if I try it with more growth than that.

To me that's the thing about electric razors is the rawness. Even after using a shave balm my face feels somewhat raw.

Speick makes an electric preshave that I really like and find it provides for a more comfortable shave. My skin also feels smoother like the preshave acts like an aftershave.

I think Speick makes superior products unfortunately the scent does not agree with me.

Not a long time ago I purchased a Braun 7-797cc-7. For me it was an upgrade from a Norelco that I had been using for a long time. The advantage of this Braun is that I can now wet shave with it or use it under the shower. I use it once or twice per week with shaving soap. I have no experience with other brands/models other than these two but I think it is an amazing shaving machine. Three passes give me an unbelievable clean shave, comparable to what I get with my DE, and the fact that I can use less aggressive programs on sensitive area like at the base of the neck, allows me to virtually avoid any irritation.

I purchased it at Target for $199 but you get a $40 gift cad that I used to buy refill cleaning cartridges and Pacific Shaving products, so at the end it was like buying it for $159 which I think is an excellent price.

http://www.target.com/p/braun-series-7-797cc-mens-shaver/-/A-15583604

Apparently now they don't ship it so you have to select a store where to pick it up at.
I thought I could pass this information on, in case anybody was looking for a new razor.

My Dad gave me a Norelco in the mid-70s when I was 17. Dad was a lifetime DE man, but I think he thought I'd prefer electric. I used it once and my face felt and looked like it had been wind burned. I went out and bought whatever cartridge was popular at the time, probably a Trac II (this was 1977), and a can of some kind of shave cream. Since that one time I've never used an electric.

My wife, BTW, uses a Norelco. She prefers disposable cartridges in the shower, but the Norelco is faster.

I've owned Norelco, Braun and Remington products. Norelco and Braun are the best, IMO, but neither approaches the results achieved with a sharp blade.

I currently have a Norelco, but it sees limited use - mostly to keep my uni-brow at bay, along with those pesky nose and ear hairs.

I recently bought a Braun series 3 wet and dry on eBay for about £25. When used with shaving soap it gives an excellent close shave. I would agree with the comments that it doesn't last as long as a DE or SE shave though. Still a great option to have though I reckon.

I like my wahl 5 star foil shaver. The same one that a lot of barbershops use. I only use it once in a while because I like the lathering ritual. But it's pretty good for up to a 2 days growth shave. Anything over that, is just a waste of time.

Earlier this year I bought a lower-end Norelco (about $55) and was disappointed with the results. I continued to use it figuring it didn't get much better. It certainly was better than my two previous non-rotary shavers - a noisy, ineffective Phillips and a Braun that was a sorry newer version of the very good non-rechargeable Braun I had about 20 years ago.

For the hell of it, I subsequently bought two unused vintage shavers on the theory that "they don't make'm like they used to". One was a Remington Foursome from the 1950s. (My first electric shaver back in the 1970s was a newer, probably 1960s, Remington model, which I recall being pretty good.) The other was a Norelco Rotatract (similar to the one pictured below), which I believe dates from the 1980s.

A couple months ago I gave the Remington, which has an odd wheel-start mechanism reminiscent of an old lawnmower, a thorough disinfecting (even though it clearly did not need it) and a test run. Well, all I can say is that men back then must have had skin like leather. The shave was awful, and I think it took more skin than beard. I suppose I might be able to get the hang of it eventually, but I'm not going to try. It's now relegated to the status of a display piece.

A couple days ago, with little optimism, I got around to testing out the Norelco. I was shocked . . . in a good way. The shave was close and almost irritation-free. The Remington Foursome aside, I'm wondering if there is a correlation between a rechargeable and plug-in models. The three best electrics I've had - especially the Norelco Rotatract - were not rechargeable.

$$_1.JPG

Anyone else have a good experience with the above (or a similar version)?

What I meant to say was "a correlation between a rechargeability and the quality of the shave". I have never tried a high-end shaver (foil or rotary). I see many Norelco models at Amazon for well over $100. I'm not inclined to spend that much just to see how well it works, and I find it hard to believe the basic shaving technology would improve that much for the price. Besides, the vintage Norelco I bought cost me less than $50.

Not sure how many folks are still tuned into this thread, but wanted to ask a word of advice.
My Panasonic Arc5 electric foil razor has suddenly started leaving lines/scratch marks on my face and even nicking me from time to time. I've never known a foil razor to do this and it seemed to start out of the blue. I've examined it pretty closely and can't see any obvious structural defects.

Anybody have any thoughts about what might be causing this?? Thanks.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
How many years have you had it, [MENTION=114087]clipper024[/MENTION] ? It might be time to replace the foil.

Thanks, [MENTION=34037]rockviper[/MENTION]. I wondered about that, but it's only six months old. And it started very suddenly. One day it worked fine, the next day skin tracks and small cuts. If it was the foil, I assume there would have been degradation in quality over time. I may dismantle and rebuild the foil and cutter mechanism to make sure there's not some kind of jam or misalignment in there.

Top Bottom