What's new

Well that's too bad (not liking a razor that much anymore)

In a span of a few months I went from loving mild razors and fearing aggressive ones to absolutely loving more aggressive razors and disliking the mild ones.

I realized that I haven't touched my merkur 1904 and RR Protege (DE89) since discovering the RR Mentor and Rockwell on plates 5 and 6.

Just for fun I decided to give the 1904 again tonight and it's just that: I miss the closeness and effortlessness of shaving with a more aggressive razor. The feeling of having almost no stubble left after a single pass and feeling like all I have to do is let the razor graze my skin to have a great shave. The razor even tugged over 3-days growth and it had a fresh blade.

The 1904 was a gift from my wife so it's not going anywhere (might make a good travel razor due to its size) but the Protege might go to my brother or a forum PIF in the end. I don't see the point in keeping a razor I don't enjoy, unless there's some sentimental bond.

Funny where this journey is taking me...

Yeah I stayed away from aggressive for a long time simple because of the word "aggressive". It's too bad we don't just call them "efficient" and not scare everyone away. For me, aggressive/efficient razors work much better than mild as well.

I've come to prefer aggressive razors, even unforgiving ones that boss me around. But when I absolutely positively have to have no chance of a mistake I'll go to the Rockwell number 1 base plate. That is one well behaved lil' shaver.

Yeah I stayed away from aggressive for a long time simple because of the word "aggressive". It's too bad we don't just call them "efficient" and not scare everyone away. For me, aggressive/efficient razors work much better than mild as well.

Yeah, it all comes down to me not trusting myself enough. I was a great frog surgeon (really) during my master's degree and I don't trust myself with a DE razor in my hands you know? I'm always thinking I'm not experienced or good enough to use a "serious" tool. In the end, the first weeper I've had in over 2 months I got tonight with the 1904 because I pushed a bit too hard...

I've come to prefer aggressive razors, even unforgiving ones that boss me around. But when I absolutely positively have to have no chance of a mistake I'll go to the Rockwell number 1 base plate. That is one well behaved lil' shaver.

Good for you, I can't even think of using anything milder than plate 3...

Works, or doesn't work so well. Just different anymore. Although some feel different, and that's a whole new semester at school.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Enjoy the ride. In a few years you may give it another try and because of your technique (grip, angle pressure, etc) you may find that the 1904 is a joy to shave with again.

Lot of truth here. Trust me, you'll go back eventually. Maybe not to that particular razor but to some smooth and mild one.

Lot of truth here. Trust me, you'll go back eventually. Maybe not to that particular razor but to some smooth and mild one.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I just spent a couple of weeks dialing in a Gem MMOC, allegedly one of the most "aggressive" single edge razors around. After I convinced myself a couple of days ago that I was getting a close and aggressive shave with the MMOC, I switched to my Ikon Shavecraft Tech yesterday and today. The difference is night and day. The Ikon Tech is my most aggressive--and most efficient--razor among many. Two passes, without extensive buffing, are wondrously close. I haven't used my mild razors in many months, and expect I never will.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I just spent a couple of weeks dialing in a Gem MMOC, allegedly one of the most "aggressive" single edge razors around. After I convinced myself a couple of days ago that I was getting a close and aggressive shave with the MMOC, I switched to my Ikon Shavecraft Tech yesterday and today. The difference is night and day. The Ikon Tech is my most aggressive--and most efficient--razor among many. Two passes, without extensive buffing, are wondrously close. I haven't used my mild razors in many months, and expect I never will.

Yeah, the Ikon Tech was what sold me on efficient razors as well. Since I got it in January, I've used one other razor once, and that was the Krona, just for old time's sake.

Thank you for the input guys very interesting. It's definitely not a matter of "better" but "better for me at this point".

Imatabor: please tell me it ain't so!

Ah, straights. I met my match.

I took to DE shaving like a duck in water. After all, I'd been cartridge shaving in the shower for 40 years.

After a couple of years, I thought I'd try straight razor shaving. Didn't look that hard. Read up on it, watched some videos and ordered up a Boker. Got to where I could do my cheeks WTG no problem. Could never master under the nose, the curve of the chin and ATG. Finally threw in the towel and went back to DE.

Yup, after learning shave well with a straight razor mild safety razors just do not do it for me any more. It takes a Muhle R41 2013, Fatip, WR-1 OC with a 0.74 blade gap and a couple of GEMs to get a long lasting shave that satisfies. Each to their own, whatever works for you.

Bob

Top Bottom