What's new

What driving up the prices on Store brand pipe Tobacco?

I was toying with getting a tub of Prince Albert but it jumped in Price from $34.00 in Dec to $56 bucks this week. Bugler and Sir Walter R. have gone up also !

It looks like Texas tobacco taxes would be about $17 for 14 oz, maybe that's part of the price bump you're seeing. I'm seeing online prices for Prince Albert of around $34 or less now.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I hadn't heard of any new taxes (I'm in Texas, too). My cheapo 305 menthol cigarettes are still $4.54 after tax.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for the heads up, Delta. I'll check local prices tomorrow. Last time I looked PA and CH were $30 something, about $35 or so I think for a tub. If it's still in the 30s I may pick up a tub of CH tomorrow.

Oklahoma is pushing a new tax on cigarettes to jump them to $6 a pack. I have no doubt it'll get passed with ease.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I mentioned this price increase thread to SWMBO and she said that she heard on the radio quite awhile back that tobacco prices were going up, but couldn't remember why.

I'll ask at the 'baccy shop tomorrow.

It's like Price and I keep saying, buy as much as you can now because it's as cheap as its gonna get and mason jars are about $1 each.

It's like Price and I keep saying, buy as much as you can now because it's as cheap as its gonna get and mason jars are about $1 each.

Lucky for me, SWMBO realizes this is the truth, and only playfully picks on me for the pounds of stashed leaf. lol

I don't obey anyone so I buy whatever I want and she just tells me "it's your money, if that's what you want to do then have fun"

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup, prices went up here also but apparently not as much as in the DFW area. A tub of Carter Hall is $47.99 and I believe Prince Albert was about $45.99. I asked the lady in the store and she said they went up due to taxes, but she didn't know if it was State or Federal tax.

Funny thing though...the pouches of CH are still $5.19 apiece.

I don't obey anyone so I buy whatever I want and she just tells me "it's your money, if that's what you want to do then have fun"

Yeah, I use the "SWMBO" more tongue in cheek in my case. I have my own funds to do completely with as I choose as well. She still will playfully jab at the amount of storage the cellar takes up, however. lol

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I believe I saw the other day when I was looking for State taxes that there had been legislation passed where the taxes would go up a certain amount over the next few years automatically. I'll see if I can find the Google results, but I do believe it's State tax.

Ahhh, the sin tax. I'm such a sinner. :lol:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I noticed on Pipes and Cigars they offer a Carter Hall "match". Has anyone tried this mixture?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I believe I saw the other day when I was looking for State taxes that there had been legislation passed where the taxes would go up a certain amount over the next few years automatically. I'll see if I can find the Google results, but I do believe it's State tax.

Ahhh, the sin tax. I'm such a sinner. :lol:
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun.

I noticed on Pipes and Cigars they offer a Carter Hall "match". Has anyone tried this mixture?
I'm going to have some now as a matter of fact. It's called Chatham Manor and I find it to be very good. It is definitely not an exact match, and it fortunately does not have the PG that CH has. Consequently, it does not build cake as quickly. The casing is a chocolate flavor, but it is not an aromatic at all. Try a sample of an ounce or two from P&C, or PM me and I'll send you some.

I have tried the Prince Albert match, Prince Andrew, and thought it looked and tasted like cigarette tobacco. I would not buy it again.

Top Bottom