What's new

When do you change the Cartridge? (Trac II)

How do u guys know when to change the cartridge? Do you wait until the gel strip runs out or do once a week?

I feel like the cartridges hold their edge longer when you use actual soaps/creams instead of Canned stuff.

I finally switched from canned goop to real shaving cream in August, and agree that my carts seem to last a bit longer now. Even so, I still don't like to push a Gillette cart beyond 5-6 shaves, and the lower-cost generics I've been experimenting with lately seem to start tugging after only 3-4 shaves. The gel strip really doesn't factor into it at all for me.

7 shaves tops for me. I can notice a difference when I change my Trac II after that many shaves, so I stick to that routine. I could probably go longer if I had to.

Trac II was my razor for over 35 years. It seemed such a chore and such an expense to buy new cart packs, so I stretched them way too long. I was not conscientious about my shaves back then, and they were sometimes barely SAS. Finally I had to change them when the gap between blades was clogged with biohazard gunk and they plain would not shave. It may have taken 2 weeks to a month to get to that point. I never kept close track.

Since I got a 50 cart bulk buy of the Personna Plus carts, I've been tossing them after 3 shaves. I realize I can probably stretch that atleast another 2 shaves, which is what I'm gonna start doing. The Gillette brand ones I get at least 2 more shaves out of.

Since I only use them for short trips, I load a fresh one each trip and toss it right after. Usually 1-3 shaves. I bought about 75 of these for less than 15 cents each so I don't worry about them too much. And a fresh one allows me not to bother counting the shaves every time I travel.

When I used the Trac IIs I usually got 7 shaves, but that went down to 6 with the south Korean Trac blades. With the "Branded" Personnas I do about 5, but the Personnas cost one third of a Trac II. Doing the math I'll never return to a Trac II. I like that I can use the Personnas in either my Trac or Atra.
I haven't tried the Polish made Trac IIs as yet, and see no reason to. I don't use the bulk Personnas since I get too many weepers from them. out of curiosity where are the GIIs made?

Top Bottom