What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

Badger Blends
The definitive collection of home-mixed aftershaves

OK, here it finally is. Yes, I've taken a long road getting here, but I wanted it to be perfect, so here it is.
(OK, maybe it's not perfect, but we'll evolve as needed)

Bottom line up front:

If you have created a aftershave blend, then post it here! This means that you have mixed two or more existing aftershaves (or colognes) together to create a new aftershave blend. This not for homemade "from scratch" aftershave recipes.

Now, a little backstory.

Many of you have heard of Bootlegger's Bay Rum and the many different Bootlegger's mixes. See HERE for them all. Well, OkieStubble is the brainchild of that brand and is one of the first people to really get into mixing different aftershaves together to produce new aftershave blends.

Over the last year or so, this idea has caught on and many others have been trying their hand a mixing up their own blends. Some of them have posted their new "bootlegger" blend, but in fairness to OkieStubble, the Mad Scientist behind this movement, I think the Bootlegger moniker should be reserved for only blends that he creates or approves, since there are many considerations that go into a blend being called Bootlegger's (i.e. cost, longevity, scent, and skin feel).

But there are lots of great mixes out there that the members of Badger & Blade have created, and I feel that we should consolidate them all under one moniker or "brand" and keep the recipes all in one place. Why do we need a "brand" name? Well, I feel that if we get some really nice mixes that other people like to make and use, then those folks might also like to make some custom labels for those mixes. If we all use the same brand name on our labels, then that just helps to build the great community we have here at B&B! Some of you may feel I'm being a bit excessive here, and don't see what the big deal is. But isn't that what we do here..... get carried away with shaving stuff?

I could have just created a name and a thread and been done with it, but I decided that if this was something that was going to succeed and a thread that kept on going, then the folks who are out there creating these mixes needed to be a part of it. So I posted a thread for suggestions for the brand name. Then we all voted on them. Then there was a tie, so we voted again, and in the end we came up with "Badger Blends"! How appropriate for aftershave blends made by the members of B&B.

***********************************************************************************************

So there you have it. Now here are the rules. There are 2 requirements for posting here:
1. The blend should be your own creation.
It should be something you concocted in your own den/kitchen or wherever you do your aftershave experiments. If it is someone else's creation, please give them credit and reference the source.

2. You must give it a name!
The brand will always be Badger Blends, but what is the name of your individual mix? See example below.

I will be consolidating recipes that are submitted here and putting them all into a B&B Wiki page (Badger Blends Aftershaves), for ease of finding recipes later. (If you don't follow Rule 1 & 2 above, it won't be added to the Wiki) If you wish to create your own custom label for your mix, that would be great too. Post a pic that others can print out and use!

Last edited:
So, here is my first entry. Not terribly exciting, but it gets the ball rolling. I created this mix a few years ago.

Badger Blends: Icy Velva

1 part Aqua Velva
1 part Osage Rub

I'll upload a label pic tomorrow.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If I could KJ, while it's not a personal mix, I would like to nominate Tony's mix:

Double Spice Ice:

Equal Parts P&G Aftershave + P&G Cologne + Fine's Snakebite.

If you have never tried this, you should! It smells nothing like Old Spice. For some, crazy, unexplained reason, it creates it's own original scent. It would have been a Bootlegger's if the Fine's would have been cheaper.

It is probably now, the most rotated aftershave I use.

Awesome, thanks Vez! That double spice ice sounds interesting, now I have an excuse to round out my Fine Accoutrements collection.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow! This sounds very interesting!!!

Very Impressed Mike! :)

Okie, many thanks! I'm working through my second batch now. There's a Lime Veg thread.

I actually make mine 60% Veg; the whole thing was started as a way to use up my 12 oz. Veg bottle... I'm unchosen and trying to find a way to make Veg palatable. Both benefit from a little added glycerin, both Pinaud's are somewhat drying.

AA

If I could KJ, while it's not a personal mix, I would like to nominate Tony's mix:

Double Spice Ice:

Equal Parts P&G Aftershave + P&G Cologne + Fine's Snakebite.

If you have never tried this, you should! It smells nothing like Old Spice. For some, crazy, unexplained reason, it creates it's own original scent. It would have been a Bootlegger's if the Fine's would have been cheaper.

It is probably now, the most rotated aftershave I use.

What a great thread and what high praise!

I could not have said it any better. :001_smile

Double Spice Ice

Equal Parts P&G OS After Shave + P&G OS Cologne + Fine's Snakebite

Don't tell Rob, but I whipped this up on a whim without any beta testing.

OkieStubble

Okie, many thanks! I'm working through my second batch now. There's a Lime Veg thread.

I actually make mine 60% Veg; the whole thing was started as a way to use up my 12 oz. Veg bottle... I'm unchosen and trying to find a way to make Veg palatable. Both benefit from a little added glycerin, both Pinaud's are somewhat drying.

AA

I hope you decide to experiment with different lime aftershaves. (preferably, cheap ones... hint, hint.) :001_rolle

Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, Stephens Island Lime, etc... :)

OkieStubble

Also @Vez, you had a AV & Florida Water that was interesting.

And what happened to your Aqua Man's Slap?

[FONT=&amp]Aproxo[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1 Part: Master Bay Rum
1 Part: Superior 70 Bay Rum
1 Part: Crusellas Kolonia 1800 Tobacco[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]This was my attempt to create Bootlegger’s Perfecto Virginia. Since Vito's Colonia Tobacco has become unobtainium, I had to substitute, and so I mixed up a batch using Crusellas Kolonia 1800 Tobacco, an inexpensive ‘cologne’ popular in Latin culture. OkieStubble generously sent me a sample of genuine Perfecto Virginia so I am able to compare. Where Perfecto has a citrus note, Aproxo is more of a musk and patchouli [/FONT][FONT=&amp]note, but still letting the bay rums shine through. I’ve considered adding a source of citrus aroma (Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic, Pinaud Eau de Portugal, Agustin Reyes Agua de Portugal) to see what happens, but for now, I’m happy with Aproxo.[/FONT]

Hey, all right! A Crusellas product inducted ...
There will be more! In addition to Kolonia 1800 Tobacco, I’ve also got quantities of Crusellas Kolonia 1800 Natural, Sandalo, Vetiver, and Rosa. I’ve been meaning to go all mad scientist with them and this project will be the driving force. Crusellas Kolonia, at less than 50 cents per ounce, is perfect for creating blends of inexpensive aftershaves.

Top Bottom