What's new

Finally found my right combo!

So I've been doing this DE shaving for about 2-3 months now and I've finally found my right combination.

I really struggled with my neck area and kept cutting -either the small pimples on my neck were getting snagged or under my throat would have tiny cuts.

So after talking with CBLindsay (big shout out btw as he's given me some real good advice and sent me free blades! What a top guy!) I made some changes. Firstly, I was looking for a good post shave balm to heal my sensitive skin. He recommended a couple of important ingredients (I think it was witch hazel and aloe vera off the top of my head).

Anyway, I found one by the bluebeard's revenge. Amazon were doing it with some shave cream and shave oil on a deal so I bought it.

I also changed my blade out for a Gillette 7 oclock.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's the shave cream, oil, blade or my technique improving but I have been getting ridiculously close shaves and NO cuts at all. I'm also being quite aggressive.

I've a feeling it's a combination of all these small changes, but I can't recommend the bluebeard's revenge enough. Their products are cheap and work extremely well. I'm pretty sure they're a UK based company on the south coast.

To anyone whose just starting out or struggling, keep persevering. You'll soon enough find your right combo!

I'm also using an old English Gillette ball tech and badger brush.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Advice I can give on my personal experience;

- if using soap, try switching to cream
- keep your lather very wet
- try a good shave oil on your dry skin before your lather
- don't get caught up with which blade is sharpest etc, try a few different ones. No idea how sharp the 7 oclock blades are but they work good for me
- use cold/cool water to rinse your razor
- hold as close to the end of the razor as possible to keep your touch very light

I'm pretty sure that the main reason for improved shaves is your new blades, if they were the yellow box version from P&G in St. Petersburg, Russia. That is a very good blade. There are two others from that plant that are also excellent. They are the Iridium Supers, and the Polsilvers. As for cream vs soap, I find that it just depends on which brand you use and how you use it. There are some excellent tallow based soaps out there, such as Tabac or Mitchell's Wool Fat. I like a rich lather so if I am using a cream, I use a lot. I'm not trying to save money, I just want every shave to be great. After you have tried some more products, please give us an update. By the way, you didn't say which you were originally using and which cream you like.

Awesome. Still working on it here after a few months. Haven't tried the 7oclocks yet but I hear most love them

Yes I believe they were the yellows!

I was using Edwin Jagger sandalwood. The cream I'm using is from the bluebeard's revenge.

When I replace my 7oclock I will know if the blade is the deciding factor.

I prefer my lather more watery than rich, I personally find the blade just slides better. Each to their own right?

Yes I believe they were the yellows!

I was using Edwin Jagger sandalwood. The cream I'm using is from the bluebeard's revenge.

When I replace my 7oclock I will know if the blade is the deciding factor.

I prefer my lather more watery than rich, I personally find the blade just slides better. Each to their own right?
I should try a more watery lather tonight. :D

I was in the same boat. I had some average shaves and some slightly above average shaves, but never really had the Äh-ha!" moment. I've gravitated towards soaps and am really enjoying them. I've also noticed that different blades on different razors make a HUGE difference!
I couldn't get a decent shave with my flare tip until I tried it with a feather. The feathers didn't work well for me with my EJ though
My EJ gets the best results with a lab blue (for 2-3 shaves max) and a Polsiler Super Iridium (4-5 shaves)
My Parker 26C was struggling with anything too sharp, but is incredible with Personna Reds and Crystals

But here was my Ah-Ha! Combo:
I let my soap "bloom" while I shower, and then I use the bloom water to give my cheeks and neck a quick rub down before I start to build my face lather. This has made a huge difference in the slickness of my lather.
Merkur Progress with Polsilver Super Iridium blade - First pass on 4, second pass on 2 and clean up on 1
followed up by rinsing away soap with warm water, rubbing an alum block all over my face, then cold water rinse.
top it off with a nice splash and then Nivea balm.
Something about this combo leaves my skin insanely smooth, but more importantly it appears to clean and seal my neck so quick that there is no way dust or dirt or whatever outside factors can irritate my freshly exposed skin.

I've also noticed that even though I have $30 soaps and $100 badger brush, I prefer my simple $8 Cella with my $22 Semogue 830. Who would have thought that this $30 combo would be better in every way than much pricier products!

Top Bottom