What's new

Non Coconut Based Soaps

I just purchased Mystic Waters white tea & ginger, and vanilla sandalwood. Hopefully customs doesn't decide to hold my package for a month.

Yeah you nailed it I think. My irritation is definitely secondary to dryness. Ive always been sensitive to soaps due to very dry skin. I didn't know MWF had cocoate and that soap doesn't dry me out. I guess I should reconsider and not blame it all on coconut. That was very informative.

Thanks 4edge for your help!
I also suffer from dryness irritation and for that reason the most gentle soaps to my skin are those who contain a lot of mousturizing ingredients (Tallow, lanolin, Kokum butter, Mango butter, shea butter, avocado oil, aloe) and also contains little to no coconut oil (you can figure this by the positition of the ingredient in the list).

I also suffer from dryness irritation and for that reason the most gentle soaps to my skin are those who contain a lot of mousturizing ingredients (Tallow, lanolin, Kokum butter, Mango butter, shea butter, avocado oil, aloe) and also contains little to no coconut oil (you can figure this by the positition of the ingredient in the list).

Thanks Herbert, I agree, my skin loves Lanolin. What are your top soaps based on post shave?

Thanks Herbert, I agree, my skin loves Lanolin. What are your top soaps based on post shave?

Cold River Works Select V2 (14/10 in post shave, is that good, contains no coconut oil)
Mystic Water Soaps (10/10) (alnost incredible and no coconut oil)
Shannon's Soaps (10/10) Has only a little amount of coconut oil (its almond at the end of ingredients list) which make the post shave very very excellent
Barrister & mann (10/10) Also low on coconut oil, the standard in post shave feel in my opinion
Mike's Natural Soaps (10/10) Basically the exact same post shave as B&M. Amazing.

Wont go down further through the list, just wanted to include all my 10s in post shave feel.

Cold River Works Select V2 (14/10 in post shave, is that good, contains no coconut oil)
Mystic Water Soaps (10/10) (alnost incredible and no coconut oil)
Shannon's Soaps (10/10) Has only a little amount of coconut oil (its almond at the end of ingredients list) which make the post shave very very excellent
Barrister & mann (10/10) Also low on coconut oil, the standard in post shave feel in my opinion
Mike's Natural Soaps (10/10) Basically the exact same post shave as B&M. Amazing.

Wont go down further through the list, just wanted to include all my 10s in post shave feel.
Nice list. From those soaps I've only tried Barrister & Mann Latha, and to be honest it left me pretty dry.

If you like stirling try badger shaving co online as they carry it. They are based out of BC so no border issues.

Nice list. From those soaps I've only tried Barrister & Mann Latha, and to be honest it left me pretty dry.

I dislike latha with a passion also (its nothing alike to the regular line) latha is the budget soap from them and it dries my skin like a vegan soap, while the regular line is one of the most mousturizing soaps in the market.

I dislike latha with a passion also (its nothing alike to the regular line) latha is the budget soap from them and it dries my skin like a vegan soap, while the regular line is one of the most mousturizing soaps in the market.

Good to know. I've been curious about the Latha Lavanda soap for a while now, but wasn't sure about the formula. I guess this makes for one less soap to keep on my wish list.

Good to know. I've been curious about the Latha Lavanda soap for a while now, but wasn't sure about the formula. I guess this makes for one less soap to keep on my wish list.

Glad I helped! The regulat line, the discontinued black label line and the new glissant base are all amazing! But latha.....

Yeah you nailed it I think. My irritation is definitely secondary to dryness. Ive always been sensitive to soaps due to very dry skin. I didn't know MWF had cocoate and that soap doesn't dry me out. I guess I should reconsider and not blame it all on coconut. That was very informative.

Thanks 4edge for your help!

I think that you are on the right track here. Soaps naturally defat the skin which can be irritating to those with dry skin. There are several ways around that problem, almost all of them involve putting oils back into the skin.

1. PreShave Oil. There are many who argue that preshave oil does not improve the shave. I say that for someone with dry skin, nothing moisturizes better then a preshave oil.

2. Find a superfatted soap with added oils. The soaps that work best for me - and this is by no means an inclusive list - are: Mickey Lee soaps; TTFFC Premium soaps; Strop Shoppe special edition; and Soap Commander.

3. AfterShave balm. There are many good ones out there. My favorite is Soap Commander. High quality. Great value.

Good Luck

Whoa there big spender, don't discount something based on a single opinion. I find the Latha line to be a quite nice soap, albeit without the excellent post-shave of the regular line. Latha does not dry my skin out, and that's saying something living in a dry, arid climate. I'd recommend getting a sample with your next maggards order. That's an inexpensive way to form your own opinion.

Whoa there big spender, don't discount something based on a single opinion. I find the Latha line to be a quite nice soap, albeit without the excellent post-shave of the regular line. Latha does not dry my skin out, and that's saying something living in a dry, arid climate. I'd recommend getting a sample with your next maggards order. That's an inexpensive way to form your own opinion.
I agree. If there is one thing I've learned is that everyones skin reacts different to soaps so YMMV definitely applies.

An order I made for Haslinger Sage Soap arrived today and thought I would give my feedback on how my shave went.

Scent smells like a classic soap. Nothing special but pleasant. Lather was very easy to create and this soap creates tons of lather with a 30 sec load. Great protection and glide. Post shave: this is the single most important part of a soap for me having very dry skin. Here is where I see the similarities with MWF. Excellent to say the least, I was worried because coconut is in the ingredients but I'm starting to see it isn't that simple. Skin felt so smooth and conditioned, and felt better than before I shaved.

Overall, I recommend this soap to anyone thats looking for a very good all around soap that doesn't mind a classic soap scent!

Last edited:
Top Bottom