What's new

Non Coconut Based Soaps

Howdy people,

I have a small sensitivity to coconut oil based soaps and I was wondering If you can give me insight on non Coconut based soaps. I have realized that most soaps contain coconut oil, even tallow based soaps. I could do with a soap where coconut is listed at the bottom of the ingredient list but anything else will give me a very dry and irritated face. :sob:

The only soap that doesn't irritate my skin that I've tried is Stirling, and I love that soap but its hard to get from my location (Toronto, Canada).

Thank you all in advance!!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B, Martin!
you might hop down to Mens Essentials near the Danforth and see what they could recommend for you!
They have a wide selection of shaving stuff.
Good luck!

Arko. It lathers richly, it is cheap, and it is available worldwide.
Ingredients: Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Paraffinum Liquidium, Cl 77891, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

The Pre de Provence ingredient list contains only palm derivatives - no coconut.

Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate (Palm Kernel Oil), Glycerin, Water, Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii), Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary Extract), Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Citronellol, Coumarin, D Limonene, Eugenol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

Ingredients: Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Paraffinum Liquidium, Cl 77891, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.
Isn't Potassium Cocoate coconut oil?

I would second the recommendation for CRSW. It's my new number one.

Why bother with a cheap soap like Arko, when there are plenty of higher end soaps that wont break the bank? Just my two cents.

Sodium and potassium
Cocoate means coconut oil

Isn't Potassium Cocoate coconut oil?
Potassium Cocoate is a salt (aka soap) of Lye and Coconut acid; it's not an oil.

Cocoate salt - used for its cleansing/lathering properties - may dry out skin, versus unsaponified coconul oil, which is rather moisturizing. Salt of lye and Palm Kernel acid (aka -Palm Kernelate), for example, functions similarly to Cocoate salt.
On the other hand, salts of Stearic acid or Tallowic acids, are used for creaminess, rather than cleansing/lathering properties.

The use of drying soap salts may be offset (to a greater or lesser degree) by adding to the formulation, moisturizers, like glycerin, lanolin, etcetera. Of course, the making of the final product, is a balancing act, as using too much of poorly lathering soaps salts, plus too much moisturizer, will not build a good lather.

ask4edge, if he has a reaction to coconut oil, he's better off avoiding soaps that have potassium and/or sodium cocoate, as many shave soaps in particular are superfatted, which would leave unsaponified oil.

I third the recommendation for Mystic Waters, which have always been cocoate free, and for CRSW v.2 or Oliva.

Potassium Cocoate is a salt (aka soap) of Lye and Coconut acid; it's not an oil.

Cocoate salt - used for its cleansing/lathering properties - may dry out skin, versus unsaponified coconul oil, which is rather moisturizing. Salt of lye and Palm Kernel acid (aka -Palm Kernelate), for example, functions similarly to Cocoate salt.
On the other hand, salts of Stearic acid or Tallowic acids, are used for creaminess, rather than cleansing/lathering properties.

The use of drying soap salts may be offset (to a greater or lesser degree) by adding to the formulation, moisturizers, like glycerin, lanolin, etcetera. Of course, the making of the final product, is a balancing act, as using too much of poorly lathering soaps salts, plus too much moisturizer, will not build a good lather.

Potassium Cocoate is the potassium salt of coconut fatty acid. It's an all natural liquid surfactant made from 100% whole coconut oil and potassiumhydroxide.

I should have been more clear, but its the coconut acids that dry me out and not coconut oil itself.

Thanks!

Mystic Waters sounds great but It may be a hassle to get it over to Canada. I've ordered Stirling directly from their website and customs held my package for quite some time.

Potassium Cocoate is the potassium salt of coconut fatty acid. It's an all natural liquid surfactant made from 100% whole coconut oil and potassiumhydroxide.

I should have been more clear, but its the coconut acids that dry me out and not coconut oil itself.

Thanks!
The basis of my post was not to recommend a particular soap for you, but to, hopefully, shed some light on some of a soap's components, individually, and as a whole; including what improves a soap's latherability versus creaminess. (I could have been more explicit, by mentioning that coconut oil reacted with lye, yields Na-/K-Cocoate, with glycerin being a by-product; but, coconut oil is not absolutely needed, to form the salt, if coconut acid is one of the raw materials.)

Per your OP, I understood that your irritation is secondary to dryness, rather than being sensitive to coconut/cocoate, per se. If that is correct, then it would seem to me prudent to be wary of any drying soap, including ones high in, for example, palm kernelate. (FWIW, Mitchell's Wool Fat, contains cocoate somewhere in the formulation, but it's hardly considered a drying soap, compared to most; in fact, one of its famed highlights is the post-shave feel.)

Ultimately, with a bit more experience/knowledge, I’m sure you’ll find exactly what suits you, in terms of post-shave feel, and lather performance.

Hopefully, you’ll be content with your new acquisition. It seems like you made a good choice.

Last edited:
The basis of my post was not to recommend a particular soap for you, but to, hopefully, shed some light on some of a soap's components, individually, and as a whole; including what improves a soap's latherability versus creaminess. (I could have been more explicit, by mentioning that coconut oil reacted with lye, yields Na-/K-Cocoate, with glycerin being a by-product; but, coconut oil is not absolutely needed, to form the salt, if coconut acid is one of the raw materials.)

Per your OP, I understood that your irritation is secondary to dryness, rather than being sensitive to coconut/cocoate, per se. If that is correct, then it would seem to me prudent to be wary of any drying soap, including ones high in, for example, palm kernelate. (FWIW, Mitchell's Wool Fat, contains cocoate somewhere in the formulation, but it's hardly considered a drying soap, compared to most; in fact, one of its famed highlights is the post-shave feel.)

Ultimately, with a bit more experience/knowledge and a bit of trial and error, I’m sure you’ll find exactly what suits you, in terms of post-shave feel, and lathering performance.

Hopefully, you’ll be content with your new arrival. It seems like you made a good choice.

Yeah you nailed it I think. My irritation is definitely secondary to dryness. Ive always been sensitive to soaps due to very dry skin. I didn't know MWF had cocoate and that soap doesn't dry me out. I guess I should reconsider and not blame it all on coconut. That was very informative.

Thanks 4edge for your help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom