What's new

Fine old world soaps!

Hey everyone,

I have been following B&B for a while know, however this will be my first post.

I am currently using EJ limes & pomegranate as well as Klars original. I have had mixed feelings about the EJ but the Klars I must say it truly fantastic. I am looking to expand my very tiny collection and have read great things about Martin de Condre, Panna Crema Nuavia, Acca Kappa and SdM.

That being said I have three questions I hope you can help me with:

1) Are these as good as they say
2) Are they worth the premium price
3) Are there any other brands that rival these which do not command such a premium

I do not mind paying for quality product, just want to make sure it's worth the squeeze

Look forward to hearing from you fantastic gentlemen.

PannaCrema's Nuavia and Martin de Candre are absolutely worth the money (to me anyway). Both are irreplaceable in my shave den. Another product which might be worth checking out is Antica Barbieria Colla (soap).

In my experience, some might balk at the price of premium products and suggest that they are equivalent in performance to cheaper alternatives. This is sometimes true, but often the premium products are noticeably better. This is especially the case with something like Nuavia, which provides impeccable performance in all categories, and Martin de Candre, which is a cleansing soap of the highest order, and which will last through many shaves due to its density.

I've tried most of the ones mentioned and for my money I would give Saponificio Verisino a try. I've tried most of their soaps and they are truly fantastic. While I love their 70th anniversary soap - my favorite is Dolimiti. It has volcanic silt in it that really creates a face feel like nothing else I've ever tried. The scent masters at SV are top notch too - sophisticated and addictive scents that you'll find yourself just picking up pucks to smell them.

Nuávia is definitely worth it, it's notably better than any other soap/cream I've experienced, including MdC. and Acca Kappa.

Because the puck is about 50% bigger than a standard puck and you can succeed with less brush loading, the price differential is less than it seems. Plus, it's much less expensive from Pasteur Pharmacy than from the manufacturer's website with international Fedex.

Hey everyone,

I have been following B&B for a while know, however this will be my first post.

I am currently using EJ limes & pomegranate as well as Klars original. I have had mixed feelings about the EJ but the Klars I must say it truly fantastic. I am looking to expand my very tiny collection and have read great things about Martin de Condre, Panna Crema Nuavia, Acca Kappa and SdM.

3) Are there any other brands that rival these which do not command such a premium

I do not mind paying for quality product, just want to make sure it's worth the squeeze

Look forward to hearing from you fantastic gentlemen.

I haven't tried any of those but here's my thoughts since you say you have a tiny collection...

A person can buy many many average, run of the mill (not just shaving but any commodity ) "affordable" products and accumulate items or a person can buy less more expensive products and really enjoy them...less is more and quality over quantity. Nobody can really judge if something is "worth it" other than yourself. Research the best you can , go with your gut.

A person can buy many many average, run of the mill (not just shaving but any commodity ) "affordable" products and accumulate items or a person can buy less more expensive products and really enjoy them...less is more and quality over quantity. Nobody can really judge if something is "worth it" other than yourself. Research the best you can , go with your gut.

Great point! Quality over quantity is the smart choice.

Of your list, the only one I have tried is Martin de Candre. It's worth the $$. Shaves great and really doesn't cost that much on per shave basis because one jar lasts so long. Many guys here feel that Mike's Natural is comparable to MdC at a lower price, but I have not tried it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
SdM and MdC are most certainly is worth it, some of of the best. I've stayed away from Nuavia and SMN because I generally do not care for strongly scented soaps, especially if the fragrance persists beyond the shave.

Cheers, Steve

These are all highly subjective matters. Good, worth, better, best, overrated, underrated and many other words are all highly subjective regardless of topic -- not just soaps, not just shaving but anything. It's not so much the item itself but the needs/wants/preferences/priorities of the individual that determine these things. We cannot tell you what you will find good or worthwhile. We can give you our opinions but no matter how much you read from the rest of us you have to try and base your decision on first hand experience.

MDC is definitely worth it to me or else I wouldn't be using only MDC. That said, YMMV. If you read the existing threads you'll find that any soap has both fans and detractors. MDC is my favorite but there plenty that found that it did not perform better than other soaps or that it was not worth the cost to them. Again, I can't tell you what you'll think of MDC. You have to try it. Same goes for any soap. There are a lot of very popular soaps that I've tried that are not my preferred soaps.

No soap is one-size-fits-all. Read up, see what sounds interesting and try the options. See if samples, group buys or offerings in the BST subforum are available if that helps.

Last edited:
MdC is my #1 soap and I am a big fan of PC soaps although I have not tried the Nuavia yet.

You'd probably love the Nuavia. MdC is my other favorite soap and it pairs quite well in rotation with Nuavia. Each has different qualities, but both are at the top of the heap.

I really wish I had a place like Pasteur Pharmacy here in Canada. Unfortunately all I have access to where I live is what is available from online vendors or the local pharmacy which only carries porasso and $15 / 10ea of WS blades.

YOu are missing Saponificio Varesino.

In any case all of your soap list are great. You can go wrong with any of them.

Thank you everyone for all of you help, I really appreciate all of your view points on the subject. You have given me much to think about as far as the soaps I was looking at as well as given me some new options to explore. I pulled the trigger last night and purchased some Saponificio Varesino in their new Arctic Tundra as well as Dolomite. Both were ordered company direct at less of a cost than through the online venders available to me here in Canada. I don't know when shaving, for me, became a really enjoyable "hobby" I'll say, but I am very excited to enjoy this hobby with so many factastic people. I will still be adding MdC as well as Nuavia to my collection at some point, bit for the time being I am going to enjoy my new purchases. Thanks again!

Great shot man. I can assure you that you will be not disappointed at all with Saponificio Varesino.
if you will not like Tundra let me know I will take it from you! ;)

Please post also some your feedbacks also in brotherhood SAVATE dedicated to Saponificio Varesino Enthusiasts!!

Top Bottom