What's new

Why can't Shave Cream manufacturers use standard measurents?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
As the title suggest, why can't cream manufacturers use a standard measure for their products. I am looking to possibly pick up a dozen or so creams in tubes to add to the Active Duty PIF Stash. I see quantities listed in oz., grams, milliliters. And they never state if the oz. amounts are liquid oz, ( volume) or weight oz. Very, very difficult to compare product values. I think they all hate me:tongue_sm

When sold by volume, they are labeled as fluid ounces (fl. oz.) or milliliters (ml), and there are 29.5635 ml to the fl. oz. Round to 30 to make it easy. AoS labels both ways, 5.3 fl. oz., 150 ml. When sold by weight, it is by grams (g) or ounces (oz.), with 28.3495 g to the oz. I have seen that conversion rounded to 28. Finally, there is some correlation between weight and volume. 1 ml of water weights very close to 1g. Therefore 70 g of water would be 70 ml and vice versa. Similarly, 1 fl. oz. weighs nearly 1 oz., but very imprecisely. One pint (16 fl. oz.) of water weighs 1.04 lb, a 4% discrepancy, which can be disregarded for estimates involving small amounts. Where it gets tricky is that shaving cream is not the same density as water. Unlathered shaving cream usually sinks. It is denser than water. A good guess would be that it is 10% denser, or that it is 1.1g per milliliter. Therefore a 70g tube of shave cream may be about 63 or 64 ml volume, slightly over 2 fl oz. A 150 ml can of cream may weigh 165g or 5.9 oz.
Since soap is not a fluid, it is universally sold by the gram or ounce and only weight conversions directly apply.

captp; only one solution as eloquently explained by GoneRetroInOH - go soap, buddy. Problem solved, no math. ;-)>

As an experiment and a service to us all, perhaps you could buy one of every cream in the world in all forms and start weighing them. Then create cross-reference chart in a WIKI.

That could keep you busy and divert you from wasting money on buying soaps?

Just a thought.

As the title suggest, why can't cream manufacturers use a standard measure for their products. I am looking to possibly pick up a dozen or so creams in tubes to add to the Active Duty PIF Stash. I see quantities listed in oz., grams, milliliters. And they never state if the oz. amounts are liquid oz, ( volume) or weight oz. Very, very difficult to compare product values. I think they all hate me:tongue_sm

It all goes by where the product is sold. The rest of the world uses labels in metric (grams or milliliters) because that is what we use. If it is to be sold in the USA it needs to be labeled in imperial oz.

So the standard is to use ml or grams but you Yanks just can't get with the modern world so we have to make things special for you :lol: (Sorry, not sorry, had to take the jab)

Finally, there is some correlation between weight and volume. 1 ml of water weights very close to 1g. Therefore 70 g of water would be 70 ml and vice versa. S

1 ml of pure distilled water weighs exactly 1 gram and it is also 1 CC of water. Impurities and minerals throw that off though. 1 cubic meter of water (1000 liters) weighs exactly 1000 Kilograms.

The International Shaving Cream Symposium is considering a shift in their Cream labelling requirements. They're looking at Snurdle and Glob as possible replacements for the Metric and US systems. [emoji13]

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Could they just settle on either Snurdle of Glob. Unless one is a part of the other.

I think all soaps and creams should be sold by weight.
Only problem with that is the huge difference in density of creams. Its hard to tell how much you are getting for a given weight. For example, TOBS and Castle Forbes are super different in density, with Forbes being almost a croap.

The International Shaving Cream Symposium is considering a shift in their Cream labelling requirements. They're looking at Snurdle and Glob as possible replacements for the Metric and US systems. [emoji13]

I failed at converting Snurdles to Ounces and decided to shave with soap...

Just as a pro tip - use the metric conversion to figure out if they mean fluid ounces or dry. For example all TOBS cream jars are 5.3oz or 150g, indicating dry weight. Meanwhile the tubes are 2.5oz or 75mL.

It all goes by where the product is sold. The rest of the world uses labels in metric (grams or milliliters) because that is what we use. If it is to be sold in the USA it needs to be labeled in imperial oz.

So the standard is to use ml or grams but you Yanks just can't get with the modern world so we have to make things special for you :lol: (Sorry, not sorry, had to take the jab)

The US actually uses a dual measurement system. We buy gallons of milk but litres of soda. All our medications are in mls or mgs but when you make a cake cups spoons and ounces make better measurements than grams and millilitres.
Not very hard to do the conversions if you have to.

Top Bottom