What's new

Palmolive stick

A stick of Palmolive came with my purchase from the charity auction this year. I have tried it a couple times since then and can't seem to dial in the lather. It's always dry I literally get soap flakes flying around my head. I add as much water as I would my other soaps so I was just wondering if this is a particularly thirsty soap? I should add I wet the stick and apply directly to my face then go into a face lather.

By the sound of it the soap wants more water. I have only ever face-lathered Palmolive — after all it is a stick — and only the European version not Australian. I apply the dry stick to wet face, then lather with a damp brush, adding water to the brush as I go along.

In my experience Palmolive is a bit sensitive to hard water. If you have hard water that could be part of the problem.

I never had much success with the stick, but if you mill it into a container, you'll get amazing bang for the buck.

I had trouble face-lathering Arko, but it did well when I put a small piece in my copper shave bowl set on top of an electric mug warmer. I have a Palmolive stick on the way (last purchase before the year-long sabbatical) and if I can't get it to face lather, I'll try the same thing. Really want to learn to face lather well with a stick because I'm trying to pare down my travel kit.

I love sticks! But I can't seem to get it right with the Palmolive shave stick either. I do like Palmolive shaving cream though.

Wet face with warm water, run the over your beard like a comedy santa and then brush well with a wet brush. I don't find that I get huge amounts of lather, but what I do have is excellent, protective and slick.

It's funny how the YMMV axiom applies over and over again. Palmolive was my first shave stick, which I face lathered, rubbing the stick tip over my beard and then built the lather on my face. It was such a good lather and shave, that I still remember the brush that I used for my first Palmolive experience, a TGN Finest 24 mm brush.

Here's what I do. Really load the soap on your wet beard, giving is much time as you would loading a brush in a hard soap. Remember, you're only loading the soap in your beard when the tip is rubbing against the beard.

Start lathering with a pre-soaked natural hair brush, or dry - or damp synthetic brush. Add drops of water to the tips of your brush at least 2-3 times until you have a thick, glossy lather.

Hang in there, the potential for truly great lather awaits you.

Love using shave sticks as they are easy and simple to use for me. Like others have said simply wet your face and I also wet the tip of the shave stick, then liberally rub the stick over my face. I use a damp brush to start be it boar, badger or synthetic and start to build the lather. I add a bit of water at a time by skimming the brush tips across the sink water and giving a slight shake before building the lather more. I do that as many times as necessary to get the lather I want. You can always do a quick reapplication of the stick between passes too.

I have formed Palmolive into a bowl and it loads up just good as any puck soap. Then I face lather building lather as I would using a stick.

Either way it creates a rich creamy slick lather. It works well for SRs and DEs/SEs.

Bob

More water. I tried the stick to face method 1-2 times with Arko and La Toja. Totally hated it. Water running everywhere.

I took both and sliced them like a salami and pressed into an Old Spice mug. Treated them like puck soap and did great.

I'd suggest the same to you.

Good luck.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If your brush is too dry it could be drawing water from the lather into the brush. Soak your brush in water for a good minute or more before giving it a shake and beginning the lathering process.

Top Bottom