What's new

Which should be first?

Had to sell all my guns a while ago and eventhough I am not I.in Texas any longer I thought I would ask the group here which I should work towards first. Eventually I plan on having a 6.8 are, Hk vp40 or vp45, and a long range bolt action. Each will require saving up several months fro, but if I work towards the ar I can purchase pieces as I go and build gradually. For the handgun I have to become a Nc resident and get purchase permits first Probably take 30 days or so for the purchase permits.

To me it sounds like getting the handgun permit is the most easily attainable goal. If it probably takes 30 days and the others take months it should be the quickest goal to achieve. Unless the permit fees are out of this world it should be the least expensive as well.

After that it's pretty much a personal decision. All that I can suggest is that you close your eyes and think about what you want your next range day to be, think about the ranges available to you, and pick the gun that fits.

Your question kind of reminds me of the posts in the general shaving forum asking what razor, blade, brush, cream or soap somebody should get next. It all depends on what experience you are looking for.

I would suggest something totally not on your list. One of the most versatile firearms out there is a good quality shotgun. Hunting, home defense, recreation. A good shotgun is truly a do everything firearm.

Shotgun is way down on my list and the one I will eventually get is pretty pricey. The handgun is the cheapest route. Permits are around 10.00 and gun is around 650 give or take. Ar will run2 to 3k as well as the long range rifle. The handgun can be carried openly without a permit and could eventually get my ccw in a few months after I get the pistol. I guess it was just the satisfaction of having something in hand to work on with the AR vs putting the pistol on layaway while I wait on my permits.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think a good foundation or stable of firearms to own in whatever brand you decide is:

Semi auto pistol (your choice of caliber)
Revolver (your choice of caliber)
12 Gauge Shotgun (your choice of semi or pump)
.22 caliber rifle (your choice of semi or bolt)
High powered rifle (your choice of caliber, style, brand, semi or bolt)

The order of preference in which you decide to purchase any of them is up to you.

This is a good list.

I think a good foundation or stable of firearms to own in whatever brand you decide is:

The order of preference in which you decide to purchase any of them is up to you.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

That's my list.

Well, the skeet in my name is because I am a competitive shotgunner so I am probably a little biased, but it is hard to imagine a firearm with the versatility of a good shotgun.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What is your priority, self defense, target practice, hunting, etc.? It seems SD is a priority since you mentioned open carry and eventual CCW. If this is the case, a handgun you will practice with and get proper instruction with, in a caliber that is sufficient for the purpose as well as ammo that is readily available at decent prices would be a top priority. The current price and availability of ammo would heavily influence which model of handgun I'd buy if I were in your shoes.

Shotgun is way down on my list and the one I will eventually get is pretty pricey. The handgun is the cheapest route. Permits are around 10.00 and gun is around 650 give or take. Ar will run2 to 3k as well as the long range rifle. The handgun can be carried openly without a permit and could eventually get my ccw in a few months after I get the pistol. I guess it was just the satisfaction of having something in hand to work on with the AR vs putting the pistol on layaway while I wait on my permits.
After seeing your price predictions on the AR, I have to ask: Why not just build? That route is somewhat cheaper and you can have exactly what you want right down to the pins.... it shouldn't run you 2or3 grand unless you just try to break the bank.

as far as the original question goes, I would prioritize by utility and versatility:

1st: Defense, you cant pursue the other priorities if you have expired due to lack of defense. Shotguns reign supreme in this category but they're difficult to conceal so handguns have a place here as well for outside-the-home defense.

2nd : Obtaining food. Save on grocery bills by DIYing yourself some meat....more cash for guns in the next category. This is rifle territory but I have yet to see a serious waterfowler with a bolt action .308 shooting at ducks; enter the shotgun, also some areas in some states don't allow deer hunting with anything except buckshot.

3rd: Fun. Training and practicing for self defense can be fun as well as hunting. IDPA and ISPCA require handguns, trap and skeet require a shotgun and long range shooting requires a rifle. So this is a matter of what you want to do. Just keep in mind: you cant do these while deceased and while you can do them while hungry, its not as much fun.

2 to 3k includes optics and accessories. The ar will be around 1500. I will be building the lower and purchasing the upper from Daniel defense. I could build the upper, but would be about the same price as a custom upper from dd. I would get the whole rifle from dd, but too many parts I would change out would not make it cost effective.

Glad to see you left plenty of room money wise for optics. I see far to many examples of great rifle with cheap scope. Quality optics are never a mistake.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
2 to 3k includes optics and accessories. The ar will be around 1500. I will be building the lower and purchasing the upper from Daniel defense. I could build the upper, but would be about the same price as a custom upper from dd. I would get the whole rifle from dd, but too many parts I would change out would not make it cost effective.

The DD is an excellent upper. Building the lower will save you on taxes and certain kinds of paperwork. :)

Glad to see you left plenty of room money wise for optics. I see far to many examples of great rifle with cheap scope. Quality optics are never a mistake.

+1 on this.

Top Bottom