What's new

Help me decide on a new razor

Since I started DE shaving I've been using a EJ89 almost exclusively. I have a little TTO Weishi as well, but I'm looking for something new.

I can't see myself collecting tons of razors just for the heck of it, but I wouldn't mind something a little more aggressive.

What I'm looking for are suggestions. I've been looking at the slant style razors, but not completely sold on them.

So what would be your recommendations for something a bit milder than the EJ89?

Muhle R41 is one of the most aggressive, but not THE most aggressive. I went from an 89 style razor to a 41 and haven't looked back. If you're already skilled with the 89, the 41 will just take some minor adjustments and you'll be getting some of the best shaves of your life.

Go vintage. Gillette Super Speed from 1960's or earlier. Life-long quality and great shaves. Very inexpensive also.

When I returned to DE shaving, I purchased a DJ89. Later on I came into possession of a Redtip. I found, for me, the aggressiveness to be the same as the 89. I also have a 47-50 SS. I now use the two Gillettes in one shave.

Just me.

Greg W.

You might want to try a vintage adjustable such a Gillette Slim or Fatboy, they are reasonably priced these days and will give you a direction on how far up the aggressive scale you want to go right now.

Since I started DE shaving I've been using a EJ89 almost exclusively. I have a little TTO Weishi as well, but I'm looking for something new.

I can't see myself collecting tons of razors just for the heck of it, but I wouldn't mind something a little more aggressive.

What I'm looking for are suggestions. I've been looking at the slant style razors, but not completely sold on them.

So what would be your recommendations for something a bit milder than the EJ89?

You have confused me... are you looking for a more aggressive razor, or something milder than your 89?

For something slightly more aggressive- try a Merkur 37C (Slant). I would refer to this razor as being "efficient" rather than aggressive but it does give great shaves.

You have confused me... are you looking for a more aggressive razor, or something milder than your 89?

For something slightly more aggressive- try a Merkur 37C (Slant). I would refer to this razor as being "efficient" rather than aggressive but it does give great shaves.

Sorry, it should have said something a bit more aggressive than the DE89.

If you want to experiment with aggressiveness, you could always shim your DE89. I tried 3 shims on mine about 2 weeks ago, and never looked back. Turned it into the smoothest, most effortless razor I have ever used.

Alright, ComfortEagle...I too began wet-shaving on the EJ89 (still a wonderful razor) but have since won a Parker 24C in a PIF here on B&B and boy I am in LOVE with this razor. It is more aggressive than my EJ but it provides a remarkable shave. You will love the open comb.

Top Bottom