What's new

General purpose moisturiser recommendations?

I have pretty dry skin and like to use a thin, non-oily, alcohol-free moisturiser every morning after showering.

Been through quite a few, from no-name brands to some fairly expensive ones. The Lush ones are OK except a little too thick and their fragrances are too strong.

currently I'm using a muji one (I live in Japan). It's a very light formula and is fragrance neutral. It works out to about $7 for 200ml but I'm sure you'd pay a small premium for it overseas. Here's the link in Japanese...

http://www.muji.net/store/cmdty/detail/4548076448358?searchno=27

and in English...

http://www.muji.us/store/skin-care-...ght-moisturizing-lotion-6-76-fl-oz-200ml.html

its good! But I'm always on the lookout for other options. What do you all use?

I use Nivea Creme for Men, comes in a little round tin, I pay £3 for the tin here in the UK, and it works a treat. It's not thin by any stretch, but it spreads nice and easy.

proxy.php

Keeps my skin nice and soft.

Cremo mositurizer. I've used probably 20-30 over my years and I've found nothing better.

Price, formula, no real discernable scent, there's nothing like it

I use Nivea Creme for Men, comes in a little round tin, I pay £3 for the tin here in the UK, and it works a treat. It's not thin by any stretch, but it spreads nice and easy.

proxy.php

I have this, not really that THIN buddy.

I am fan of CeraVe moisturizing lotion. The ingredients are listed below. The bold ingredients are what I like to see in a moisturizing lotion because they are so beneficial:

Purified Water, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

proxy.php

I used to opt for thin moisturisers, because I didn't like the idea of my skin feeling sticky, gummy, oily etc through the day. But ^this^ stuff is thick, but spreads really well and absorbs fantastic on my skin. I cannot advise strongly enough that if you see this in a store and its a good price then grab it. I use it as a night cream too. I've lost redness that I used to have on my cheeks and dry patches around my goatee area have gone too.

Big thumbs up!

Make yourself some Thayers? Filtered water (hydration), Witch hazel (astringent, will help with absorption and preservation), Aloe vera (perfect for skin, use juice or gel with glycerine), Glycerine (moisture retention) and a few drops of vitamin E (will preserve for 6 months). You can then add menthol or any other essential oil drops. As a wet shaver you should already own Water+WitchHazel+Glycerine.

Thanks guys, unfortunately the only of those I can find available in Japan is the Nivea one, the rest would all cost $50+ to import!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My go-to everyday lotion is just Aloe Vera Gel. It is a gel, just like the name would imply, and starts off wet and runny when you start to rub it in. After a few moments of rubbing it in, though, it soaks into the skin really well. My favorite things about it are that it's simple, natural, absorbs quickly, and after it absorbs it doesn't even feel like I have a lotion on. My skin just feels like natural skin after application. YMMV as to your favorite lotion, I like Aloe Gel.

Sometimes my skin gets bad enough to crack. This is when I toss the idea of a thin lotion out the window and reach for Aquaphor. I don't need the stuff often, but it's a lifesaver every now and then.

Well, If you don't like a little oily then this wont be for you.

My main thing is to find the most natural products. I think that the chemical stuff plumps up your skin while actually killing it. Then when you stop using it your skin looks like crap. That's why I use Aubrey Organics Men's Stock moisturizer on top of some Argan Oil.

The lotion helps dissolve the oil so it absorbs into your skin. I've been doing this for a few years of smoking.. and lots of alcohol.. and lots of caffeine, and my skin still looks awesome. The argan oil is really rejuvenating, is high in vitamins, and makes your skin glow and the lotion helps it get absorbed.

The only problem is that if you get a little sweaty then you might look extra oily, but if you stay dry then it's always absorbed.

Top Bottom