What's new

Is there anything slicker.

In my opinion.Santa Maria Novella and Martin de Candre are both smoother and slicker than TOBS Sandlewood. However,they cost plenty! But for me ,Santa Maria Novella is well worth it. Others may disagree.

Craig

In my opinion.Santa Maria Novella and Martin de Candre are both smoother and slicker than TOBS Sandlewood. However,they cost plenty! But for me ,Santa Maria Novella is well worth it. Others may disagree.

Craig

Agree with you 100%, I feel that it is actually less expensive as the tub lasts forever, i am using it for almost 2 months and have made hardly a dent. MdC although IMHO is not as slick as SMN is way better than TOBS. TOBS is fine for the price but if you want to feel what real creams feel like, TOBS is not it. IMHO and YMMV

I too have TOBS Sandalwood and I find it to be very slick, definitely good stuff. Are there slicker soaps out there? Probably, but I have only seen the tip of the iceberg as far as soaps go.

I actually found TOBS sandalwood to be the least slick of any soap I've ever owned. Even cheaper soaps out perform it. Palmolive, Arko & Proraso.

TOBS is fine for the price but if you want to feel what real creams feel like, TOBS is not it. IMHO and YMMV

IMO, the best TOBS can hold its own just fine. I certainly don't feel like I'm not using a "real" cream when I use TOBS peppermint, which I find to be every bit as good in performance as the other T's, DRH or CF. Admittedly, I haven't felt the same with the other TOBS cream scents I have tried; the peppermint seems to be in a league of its own, very similar to old formula DRH. SMN is a different type of cream with different properties. I generally think it is excellent, but whether its properties are preferable to those of other creams is a subjective call. I don't consider it to be objectively superior.

Last edited:
IMO, the best TOBS can hold its own just fine. I certainly don't feel like I'm not using a "real" cream when I use TOBS peppermint, which I find to be every bit as good in performance as the other T's, DRH or CF. Admittedly, I haven't felt the same with the other TOBS cream scents I have tried; the peppermint seems to be in a league of its own, very similar to old formula DRH. SMN is a different type of cream with different properties. I generally think it is excellent, but whether its properties are preferable to those of other creams is a subjective call. I don't consider it to be objectively superior.

Hello Jerry,

For awhile now,I've thinking about trying the TOBS Peppermint. The last TOBS cream I bought was their Grapefruit which I actually liked quite a bit(many others on this site did not like it at all) Have you tried the Grapefruit? If so,how does it compare in general overall performance to the Peppermint? Also,is the scent of the Peppermint real strong or somewhat subdued? How would you characterize the scent? Thanks for any info you can give me before I buy it,

Craig

Nice find. I will have to give this a shot.

I don't have a big frame of reference for software, but so far my best results have been with Tabac Shaving Soap​.

+1, except for the fact I have a pretty reasonable frame of reference (including some high-end/aka expensive soaps and creams) and I was really taken by surprise and very pleased with the slickness provided by Tabac.

Tim

Craig, I haven't used TOBS grapefruit, so I can't compare the peppermint to that. In fact, going over what other TOBS creams I do have, I realized they are all older formulations that contained parabens (actually, a couple different formulation generations). The current generation doesn't contain parabens, so I don't know if the improvements I find in the peppermint cream are due to it being a newer formulation, which can thus be found in any TOBS scent, or if there is something "extra special" about the peppermint base that makes it unique. FWIW, I've read other reviews that mention the peppermint cream is denser than some of the others. At any rate, I like it better than any previous TOBS cream I've used, both in terms of scent and performance.

Here's what I wrote about it back in January. Six months on, my opinion is essentially unchanged.

The Taylor peppermint is great, easily my favorite cream from the brand. (I've never been a fan of Taylor creams; I am now, at least of this one.) Lathering is excellent, cooling substantial, and the scent refreshing...bordering on delightful. As Joel mentioned in his review, the scent is a combination of peppermint oil and fragrance. I'm glad for the added fragrance, since pure peppermint oil can be a bit austere. The fragrance adds a hint of sweetness, such that this cream reminds me very much of something like a peppermint ice cream. I would distinguish the scent from a candy cane, which has a specific scent I don't get in this cream. Given the price and the performance, this might just be a new go-to for me, which is saying something, considering I've been of the mind for years that nothing below the Trumper price point worked well for me.

I'll also point out that the cooling is pretty substantial - much more so than current SMN and DRH eucalyptus. I'd put it in the neighborhood of Proraso green, give or take.

Edit: regarding scent strength, I'd characterize it as moderate to strong. It's not going to knock you over, but I wouldn't call it mild, either.

Last edited:
IMHO, many, as I am not a fan of TOBS. Just illustrates that this is very much a YMMV kind of thing!

im with you, i have tried way too many TOBS products and none of them have been keepers. I find the slickness about a notch above using only water.

thank you.

anybody else????

is there any better shave cream that is more slick or lathers better than TOBS sandalwood cream?

I have been a fan or TOBS, Sensitive Skin, shave cream. After reading the B&B, 2014, awards I gave Cyril R Salter, shave cream a try. This stuff is GREAT ! Plus it is not inexpensive, it is CHEAP. You get a huge jar for $15 - $18, and I have never found a better lathering cream; I really don't know how to define slickness, but this cream must have it from the way it feels.

One of the best ingredients for added slickness, in my opinion, is lanolin. However , I have found soaps such as the legendary Mitchell's Wool Fat, to have a bit too much of the stuff. Either that or the other ingredients in MWF create a combination that is just not good for my skin. Having said that, I believe that Godrej Deluxe has the perfect combination of ingredients, including lanolin, for slickness and moisture. It's my go-to cream on days that I feel like I need just a bit more post-shave moisturizing, and it doesn't make my skin break out in a rash.

I think the Simpsons shaving creams are on par with TOBS, of which I prefer the Grapefruit and find the Avocado the slickest.
The Old Vulfix (if I remember correctly) shaving cream comes in a perfect Lime scent that I find very nice.

Ok some say soaps are slicker.For me some soaps are slicker and this makes sense.But if you want to make your lather slicker i suggest using a glycerin soap as a preshave,is a great sollution.I say this because i find toobs sandalwood scent awesome and noone has a similar sandalwood scent in a soap.

I've used several of the TOBS but for me, it is more cushiony than slick. I use straight razors and my go-to soaps and cremes are Mikes, Cella, and Proraso. With Proraso green and white, tub or tube I get the quickest, slickest lather with no irritation. Experiment with others if you like, but if the TOBS is working well for you, the price is right and the scents are nice.

Marty

The slickest shaving agent I have ever used is HeadSlick shaving cream by HeadBlade. It's slicker than any other cream or soap I have used. However, it works best brushless; it can lather somewhat with a brush, but I find that dilutes its effectiveness. Also, I find it doesn't offer much in the way of cushion compared to more traditional soaps and creams. But if it's slickness you're after, you owe it to yourself to try it.

I find the Proasco in the RED tube, with Sandalwood, Shea Butter, and Aloe works really great, seems slick to me.

Tried the Prorasso blue (sensitive skin) this entire week. Slickness just ok however, it left my face feeling very nice and SOFT!

Last edited:
Hello all,

So I tried TOBS Sandalwood Cream last night and that was the slickest stuff I have ever used and it gave me the greatest shave I have ever had! Only been Wet Shaving for about 2 months now. I have some coming my way as of this morning. I was wondering if there is anything that makes a better lather or is slicker? I have heard Cella is pretty slick....

So you thoughts....... is there anything slicker than TOBS Sandalwood?

GO!

Yes, try TOBS Jermyn St cream, is very very slick ,a little bit more pricy but worth every penny http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/ac...n-Shaving-Cream-Bowl-150g--J01014.html#SID=41

I have ALL of the TOBS and they are excellent, however, I personally find that these are slicker (from my collection):
Martin de Candre (soap)
Mitchell's Wool Fat (soap)
RazoRock Mudder Focker (soap)
Musgo Real (cream)
Catie's Bubbles (croap)
Acca Kappa (cream)

There are easily dozen more which can fit this catagory based on individual opinions.

Second for the Musgo Real...my go to after trying many, many creams

Top Bottom