What's new

Travel with DE Razors by Air

Newbie Question for those seasoned travelers by air: I travel somewhat frequently by air both nationally and internationally. With airport security, how do I travel with blades for my EJ DE89? Can I just place them in my checked bag or do I simply have to try and find some blades in my trip destination?

I realize that I will not be able to travel with my entire shave den but I must be able to shave while away from home. Any insights?

No carry-on travel with open DE blades. Either put them I checked baggage, buy some at destination, or mail some ahead to yourself at destination.

Luckily with the rise in popularity of DE razors it's getting somewhat easier to find blades in brick and mortar stores. They're not carrying my go-to blades and the prices are outrageous, but they're available if you'd rather not check a bag.

If you mail them to yourself at a hotel, motel, etc., call the hotel in advance and let them know you will be getting a package in the mail and they will tell you how to handle it. I travelled quite extensively when the ban on razors was introduced. If I had only carry on luggage I would call the hotel and they would tell me the procedure to follow (e.g. put future guest on - date- on the envelope.)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Does TSA pounce on a safety razor (without a blade), if it goes carry-on/x-ray route? I'd guess so.

Suppose one can put it in with the bag of "liquids" and explain- before they "AHA' you.

Going to Scandinavia later in the year; wonder if they have blades readily available over there- I'd bet.

AA

American customs and TSA people will confisicate anything they please, anything they want, anything they can use or resell. That's all the rhyme or reason to it. I never travel with ANYTHING in my car, or luggage, checked or unchecked, that I'm not willing to lose and not worry too much about it. If the TSA guy likes safety razors, your Jagger is GONE no matter where you pack it.

American customs and TSA people will confisicate anything they please, anything they want, anything they can use or resell.

Well, they certainly will be bound by the rules, won't they?

If an agent at Amsterdam airport confiscates something, they drop the goods in a container. I am sure there would be a row if an agent would put it in their own pockets instead!

I have traveled several hundred times by air and have never had any TSA agent confiscate my bladeless DE razor. In fact, the few times that they have asked to open my carryon they were surprised I shaved with a DE razor (a Red Tip is my travel razor.)

Well my first flight with my wet-shaving equipment was a success. TSA did pull my Parker 24C razor out each flight to check whether or not it was loaded or unloaded with a blade. It was not. I had the blades in a checked bag. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Well, they certainly will be bound by the rules, won't they?

If an agent at Amsterdam airport confiscates something, they drop the goods in a container. I am sure there would be a row if an agent would put it in their own pockets instead!

Rules? TSA? Since when? That s a great joke, bet they frame that one. My experience from day 1 with TSA has been the same, no rules because no one except TSA can enforce the rules on them. A few are ethical but my experience is 90%+ are unethical. For a few years if you travelled out of Sacramento Airport and wore a Rolex Daytona it was taken from you because only terrorist would wear one. But they were never tossed out, seems they were all resold through a jewelery shop in downtown San Fancisco, according to the news media when they finally broke the 'gang' or 'rouge' TSA agents as they called them.

EDIT: Should have read the thread before replying but at least future readers will have the links below collected in one spot.

With airport security, how do I travel with blades for my EJ DE89? Can I just place them in my checked bag or do I simply have to try and find some blades in my trip destination?
This is a pretty common topic so you can refer to prior discussions
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...-8#q=air+travel+blade+site:badgerandblade.com

but there are also entries in the Wiki
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/traveling_with_a_safety_razor

as well information on the TSA site
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items
http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/08/safety-razors-and-disposable-razors.html

tl;dr The DE can go in a carry on if it is not loaded with a blade. Blades will have to go into checked bags or you will need to find an alternate method of getting blades to or at your destination.

I realize that I will not be able to travel with my entire shave den but I must be able to shave while away from home.
I never travel with ANYTHING in my car, or luggage, checked or unchecked, that I'm not willing to lose and not worry too much about it.
I use the same stuff I use at home aside from the brush. However I only have one of each product. Never worried about any of it. I'd rather enjoy my shaves than compromise. Yes, I could lose my favorite brush or DE but they're just stuff and replaceable. Each has to do whatever it is that works for the individual.

Does TSA pounce on a safety razor (without a blade), if it goes carry-on/x-ray route?
They shouldn't but real world experience with TSA checks can and does vary.

Last edited:
I've traveled with de on carry on they will take it out to check for blades as they cannot see if the razor is loaded or not. I travel with one blade in the razor sometimes it gets through other times I'm searched and they take the blade never the razor. In usa

Top Bottom